What's new

X-Box Longevity (1 Viewer)

Don Smith

Grip
I am considering buying an X-Box but am concerned over the longevity of the system. I am not even sure if this is a valid concern but I feel that I got burned in the past with the Sega Dreamcast and I don't want that to happen again.

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think there's really any question that it'll last at least to the end of this cycle. Actually, MS is supposedly already working on the Xbox 2... so I think we're pretty much guaranteed that they will be producing consoles for this generation and the next.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I don't think you'll be looking at the same situation as the Dreamcast.

Look at other "failed" Microsoft projects, such as WebTV. I believe even things like this are still out there in some way shape or form.

They'll be in this business for more than a few years. I can't see someone sinking over a billion into the console market and then leaving. It just wouldn't make much business sense.

Glen

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
You're never guaranteed longevity with any console. The manufacturers are always working on the next generation. Buy the console and enjoy it while you have it. The situation with the Dreamcast was definitely not the norm. Sega decided to completely get out of the hardware business. Even with that decision, I think that the DC was a great system. It got me back into consoles after being disappointed with the N64. Microsoft is very dedicated to the XBox and they have the money to keep it going and compete with Sony and Nintendo. This is something that Sega didn't have.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I think XBox is pretty much a Dreamcast on steroids.... same market share, same loyal yet non-mainstream fan base - the difference is that M$ is behind it.

THE FUTURE of Microsoft rests on this large console's shoulders - I'm not making hyperbole here, it really does.

Microsoft WILL KEEP MAKING XBoxes until it finally gets enough market share to challenge Sony.

I think this will be a few generations down the road, but it will happen. XBox 2 will be made, as will 3.....4.....5... etc.

As for how long this CURRENT one will last, I'm going to play it safe (5 year cycles) and say till 2005. Even then, the next-gen XBox SHOULD play the first-gen XBox games.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I got burned in the past with the Sega Dreamcast
Just to confirm, you are talking about the percieved number of future games that might get released over the next few years, as everyone else is assuming, not the reliability of the hardware, aren't you?

Only thats what I thought you meant - there have been a number of people I know who have had their DCs "die" on them, but its always been easily self-fixable. A combination of cleaning the internal connectors on the power converter daughterboard, and adding an extra couple of mm of padding to the lid switch that lets it know the hinge is shut have solved all the ones I've seen, along with a good clean-out of fluff inside the machine.

Don Smith

Grip
Just to confirm, you are talking about the percieved number of future games that might get released over the next few years, as everyone else is assuming, not the reliability of the hardware, aren't you?
Yes, I am talking about the lack of newly released games, not the actual hardware itself. I was very happy with the Dreamcast and never had any hardware problems.

It's kind of funny, but since starting this thread, I have started leaning closer towards purchasing a Nintendo Gamecube instead of an XBox:b. Some of the exclusive games available on the Gamecube have pretty much sold me on that system.

Although, it will be interesting to see how the console market pans out in the next few years.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
Don,
Don't worry about the XBox going away any time soon. Since the last year, video game software sales have jumped UP 25% (I thought I heard 31 at another source, but maybe they tacked on last month's results onto that.)
What does that mean? Since the launch of the XBox and the Gamecube, the video game industry hasn't been for the worse. In fact, the gaming market has increased! More people have gotten into gaming since November 2001.
Personally, I am really happy to own a XBox. XBox Live has been a great gaming experience. Splinter Cell just came out. There's quite a few upcoming titles that excite me, and I'm not talking about just Brute Force, Fable (Project Ego), Project Gotham Racing 2 or Halo 2. I believe XBox's library has a rather nice ratio of good/great games to bad ones compared to other consoles.
Either way, enjoy your games! I'm getting poor. :)

Andre F

Screenwriter
You're never guaranteed longevity with any console.
Very true, but your dealing with Microsoft here and they have deep products. Plus, the hardware is very nice and some good games are starting to come out. If you get one but Halo and Splinter Cell...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks