What's new

x-box as primary dvd player (1 Viewer)

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
HI there folks!
I¨ve been absent for a few weeks but now i¨m back with a new question, I´m considering buying an x-box system, I know that it has progressive output capabilities, so, do you think i´tl be fine as a primary dvd player?,I have already a mitsubishi with interlaced output feeding a sony 57" widescreen (with cine motion technology) and it works fine for me, would you consider the change as an improvement?
thanks

Trent_N

Agent
The X-Box does not do progressive scan on DVDs. It's capable of progressive scan on DVDs, but for some reason Microsoft chose not to enable that feature. It does progressive scanning on games (some games are even 720P capable and one is 1080i capable).

I've been using the X-Box as my primary DVD player for almost a year and it's been pretty solid. I haven't noticed anything abominable on my meager setup, but that doesn't mean it's not there. The older X-Box machines with the very first DVD drive have trouble with some media (my X-Box struggles to load FOTR:EE but if I power off and back on it eventually does fine. New X-Box machines have an upgraded DVD drive that can handle a wide variety of media, including CD-Rs. Search the net for more information on how to determine if a particular machine has one of the better DVD drives.

As far as gaming goes, there's nothing cooler than playing a good WS X-Box game with Dolby Digital sound. I can't wait for the next generation of gaming machines. They should be very HD friendly.

In sum, the X-Box is a good gaming machine with acceptable DVD performance, but it won't beat the performance of comparably priced DVD players. If you have a HD capable TV, you are better served getting a standalone progressive capable DVD player.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Except...

If you decide to mod your Xbox with something like the Matrix chip, then there are programs that add progressive scan capability back into the DVD program. I have a mod chip on order and plan to do just that, I can let you know how it turns out if you like.

So out of the box, no prgressive scan. With mod chip you can get it back. Since sony also just released a new PS2 that does progressive, I would not be surprised if MS wrote and distributed a patch disc that adds 480p functionality back in if the demand was there.

Before everyone jumps down my throat, the Matrix chip and modding your Xbox is 100% legal, the only part that is illegal is installing any BIOS that is copyrighted by microsoft. I am not providing a link or any insight into obtaining or installing a BIOS, so this response does nothing illegal or against forum rules (as far as I know.)

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Trent, Could you list a website on XBox games which shows their resolution capability? I have only seen 480p games recently, but would love to see one in 720p. Thanks.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Cliff,

In the video games forum of the HTF, there is a thread and chart that list resolutions for almost every next gen game. Check it out...

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I figured what the heck, info is info. It's not illegal to mod your Xbox or output DVD in 480p on it, only if you are using a modified Micrsoft BIOS, which I will not provide any info on how to do or where to get it. There are other legal BIOS out there as well that have no affliation to MS (Linux ones and such).

As far as the quality goes, I still don't know as my mod chip isn't here yet. I hoping it can get to HTPC type standards, but anything decent will make me happy. One less component in the wall of entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks