What's new

WWE DVD release Dates (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Is it possible that we'll ever see the complete uncut, classic WWF Wrestlemanias, SummerSlams, Survivor Series, etc. from 87-94 released to DVD anytime soon?

I personally cant stand professional wrestling and havent watched it since I was 12, but if they were to release the classic specials, I would definitely buy them all.

Can anyone fill me in on the licensing rights issues?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
It is a possibility but not anytime soon, as in nothing has been announced. There are no rights issues, its WWE property and it will be up to them to release it they don't have to answer to anyone.

Even the question of the blurring of logos is in dispute, I don't believe they have to blur out the logo if it proceeds a certain time, in other words they can leave the old logo as is, can anyone comment on this how is it on say the Flair DVD during the Rumble and stuff, I don't really pay attention to the logos.

Can they release these, yes they can.
Will they? I suspect that it will come eventually.
Will it be soon? Probably not.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to put this here, its the list of extras on next Tuesday's release of the Monday Night Wars DVD. This is taken from PWInsider.com

*Stone Cold Steve Austin & Shawn Michaels vs. Owen Hart & The British Bulldog (Austin and Michaels win titles, from Raw, 5/26/97)

*Stone Cold Steve Austin stuns Mr. McMahon for the first time (09/22/97, from RAW at Madison Square Garden)

*Jim Cornette commentary (10/27/97, from RAW)

*Vince McMahon interview: "Bret screwed Bret" (11/17/97, from RAW)

*Shawn Michaels & Triple H vs. The Legion of Doom (from RAW, 12/15/97)

*D-X invades WCW (04/27/98, from RAW)

*The last Nitro

*nWo in the production truck (07/22/96)

*Eric Bischoff challenges Vince McMahon (05/11/98)

*Chris Benoit vs. Booker T (06/01/98)

*Bill Goldberg vs. Hulk Hogan (Goldberg wins WCW World title, from Nitro, 7/6/98)

*Ric Flair returns to WCW (094/14/98)

*Rick Rude appears on Nitro and RAW on the same night (11/17/97)

The extras alone make this worth a purchase, I'm getting it for free because of store credit, but these are some historic extras. The Flair speech is awesome. I love the nWo segment, and the DX invasion. The Cornett commentary is awesomely funny...hell the whole damn list is worth seeing.

Cory-C

Grip
THEY'RE ALREADY RELEASED!!

I just went to my local Best Buy and picked up both The Stone Cold Truth and Monday Night Wars (as well as some UFC PPVs).

Both look like pretty sweet releases. The Austin DVD has 3 matches from WCW as extras (aside from an ECW match and a few WWE matches). The old footage is what excites me the most because I only have crummy VHS footage of most of that stuff.

I just wish Monday Night Wars gave us a few more matches, but I am sure we will be seeing plenty of stuff on "Best Of" compilations and things like that in the future.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Corey, the specific retailer you mentioned actually broke streetdate on both of those items. You might want to consider removing the name of said retailer from your post, as HTF frowns upon naming names of retailers that break street date. Studios are also not fans of retailers that break the street date on releases, just a heads up.

On another note, reading the summary of this on HighSpots.com I'm not as apprehensive about the documentary as I was when the DVD was first announced. Of course, I will be watching with the bullS*** detection meeter cranked up to high, but it probably won't be as bad as I thought.

I watched the Foley DVD or parts of it, and I really like it, but there are a couple of things I didn't care for. For one thing they removed some of the commentary out of the matches, this is apparent in the first match of the DVD, from WCW Saturday night, a show that always had at least a 2 man announce team, and yet there is Tony Schiavone being the only 1 talking with large gaps of silence.
This is a problem not just limited to WCW footage, looking at Foley's first WWE match the commentary team was Vince McMahon and Bruno Sanmartino, and yet most of Bruno's commentary is edited out of the release, this became obvious to me when you actually heard the last half of a word spoken by Bruno before Vince began to talk again.

Plus, is the Sting/Foley match only available with the Foley/Coach commentary or can it be watched with the original also?

TedT

Second Unit
For one thing they removed some of the commentary out of the matches, this is apparent in the first match of the DVD, from WCW Saturday night, a show that always had at least a 2 man announce team, and yet there is Tony Schiavone being the only 1 talking with large gaps of silence.
Is that what happened? Never watched WCW from 1990 onwards, but while watching that match I couldn't help but think that Tony Schiavone REALLY didn't care anymore and his announcing really went downhill.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what they did, unless for some reason Schiavone was a 1 man team for a week, but I'm certain by that time that either Bobby Heenan or Jesse Ventura were doing Saturday Night, in fact I'm pretty sure it was the Brain. I'll watch again for an indication, but I'm almost 100 percent positive that's what happened. Its real obvious in the Jack Foley/Less Thorton Vs. the Bulldogs match.

Cory-C

Grip
I don't believe the street date was broken because Amazon is already listing these DVDs "shipping w/in 24 hours".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks