What's new

WWDC 2013 discussion, June 10-14 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's on!

2c-640x479.png

Man I love that logo! Subtle hint to "blurring the lines" between products? =)

http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/24/wwdc-2013-announced-for-june-10-14-apple-to-talk-future-of-ios-os-x-tickets-on-sale-tomorrow/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
Right :) So what are the rumored new software and services features?

(that is, when I think of iOS 6, I don't immediately think of great new features -- for an iPhone 4 owner -- but the useless Passbook, ambivalent Maps reboot, and inferior PodCast app. I hope iOS7 brings significant improvements to existing features or useful new tools.)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The Pandora/Spotify competition is something I am looking forward to.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It is a rumored service that Apple will be offering, presumably through iTunes. You pay a fee and get subscription music from all the major labels with hooks into the iTunes Store so you can buy permanent copies. Supposedly, the negotiations have gone well with Universal Music Group, but not Warners yet. Apple was offering less than Pandora paid for its service, and the record labels weren't having that.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam - my own personal opinion is: if it's anything like Windows 8 interface, I hope not! I bought my ex a W8 laptop and of course was put in charge of setting it up, customizing, loading programs, etc. I absolutely dislike the new icon-heavy interface (yes I know you can make it go to the "desktop" for a classic feel, which is what I did). She also didn't like it and was actually the one who insisted I make it act like W7.

We all know Apple can probably do a much better UI job than MS if they decide to make the two OSes become more alike, but I think even Jobs towards the end of his life was pretty adamant, at least in public interviews, that the iOS and Mac OS served very different needs and while "like functions" can and should be streamlined, the OS themselves would continue to remain separate and different to best suit their purposes.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not so worried about the look and feel, that's one area Apple doesn't concern me. What does concern me is the move to locked down systems. I am fine with locked systems on ancillary devices, but no way will I ever live with it on my desktop.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you on that front.

I would hope Apple is still helmed by enough people who understand that while customers are willing to live with the locked down infrastructure of their iDevices, such closed systems would not be welcomed in a home computer. I thought that's what Jobs' whole belief system was. We all know he was a control freak but he also understood that creative people (especially programmers) need a somewhat open system in order to create their wonderful software which is the lifeblood of the App Store.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd just love it if they continue improving/fixing Maps! And hurry up with it - 140 billion in the war chest ought to be able to get the darned thing right! :angry:

Tried to get to the Griffith Park observatory this weekend using Siri + Maps and the result was completely unsatisfactory. Took us through a very steep and winding path that ultimately led us somewhere near it, but with no option to park or walk to GPO, so we re-routed with Google Maps and voila, we were there (after it told us to go a completely different direction and brought us right to the parking lot).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple Maps and TomTom steered us completely wrong this weekend, off by about 10 miles for a well established movie theater. Google Maps had it right. My guess is there's a problem in NavTech's database, since both Apple and TomTom are built on them, whereas I think Google generates its own map data?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
On a more serious note, for my case it's the database and the directions that need the most fixing. The integration with my car is just fine over bluetooth. Siri/Directions comes through just as its supposed to. While I would definitely welcome any interface improvements with the car, the #1 thing they have to fix is the map information and directions. Even if they didn't add/change one thing with regards to how it works with my car, if they fixed the data so it stopped sending me to the wrong place and stopped giving me bad directions, that would be a godsend.

Users who are viewing this thread