WTF? Three wires to the tweeter?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Tab Nichols, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Tab Nichols

Tab Nichols Stunt Coordinator

So, I ordered some speakers from Part Express recently, as I am building a REALLY budget pair of speakers for my brother.

Anywho, I get the order, everything is fine until I looks at the back of one of the two tweeters. Three wires. One Red, one Black, and one Yellow.

Check it out here.

WTF?

How can I hook these up?

2. Tab Nichols

Oh, I should mention that I DO know that these are for automotive audio applications, but it will do fine for what he wants it for....

Is the third wire like a common or something?

3. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

That picture doesnt show any wires but I did notice that it only handles 15/30 watts of power. That gonna be enough?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Based on that info, I would say that wire is for the "built in phase shield". Not exactly sure what that does, but since it gives response data for with and without it, I would expect you can leave that wire disconnected. Was there no wiring diagram with the tweeter?

5. Tab Nichols

Yeah, 15-30 watts should be good for what hes using it for... replacement speakers for a bookshelf stereo.

The one thing that dissappointed me about about Parts Express, is none of the stuff I ordered came with any specs, diagrams, even individual boxes.

Maybe I'll take pic with my digital camera later so I can show you exactly what it looks like....