What's new

WTC Recent News (1 Viewer)

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I read or heard somewhere, perhaps in the Drudge Report, that Russia was likely going to let us use a couple of their nearby bases to operate from. They apparently don't like these people either.

Of course they don't!! Afganistan was their Viet Nam !
What I've heard is that the Afgan govt, if it is proved they had any involvement, has made it very easy for US/Nato to smack them down hard (and even forciby remove them from power) in that they have already denied having anything to do with it several times. The latest denial about how it couldn't have been bin Laden because there are no flight schools in Afghanistan is utterly illogical. Of course there aren't, you morons ! That's why they apparently trained in the U.S !!

Jin E

Second Unit
Didn't the US at one time support Afghanistan in their fight against Russia?
Yes! I beleive this happened in 1988 during Rambo III where Colonel Trautman is held hostage in Afghanistan by evil Russians
wink.gif

Sorry... couldn't resist!
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Mitty

Supporting Actor
quote: Didn't the US at one time support Afghanistan in their fight against Russia? [/quote]
Technically, I believe it was the U.S.S.R. - the Soviet Union - not Russia, but yes, you are correct. To my knowledge there was no military support though. Of course, that Russia was a different nation entirely, politically speaking.
[Edited last by Mitty on September 14, 2001 at 02:16 PM]

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Tom Meyer:
I was focusing on the Russians not caring for Bin Laden and completely spaced the fact that they had gotten bogged down fighting in Afganistan. Of course they would love to see us go in and do what they didn't achieve. Thanks for getting my head out of the clouds.
These things do indeed make strange bedfellows.
Deane

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
To my knowledge there was no military support though.
All military support was provided in the form of weapons and finances were channeled through Pakistan. Osama was fully supported and some say trained by the CIA. The irony.
The region was as geographically important back then as it's today.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Deleted and moved to another thread by author.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo
[Edited last by LarryDavenport on September 14, 2001 at 04:45 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks