What's new

WTC Recent News (1 Viewer)

GordonL

Supporting Actor
ABC news just reported that 10 people were in custody, 5 from JFK, 5 from La Guardia. They were carrying false IDs, knives, & pilot's licenses. Article at http://abcnews.go.com/ . Looks like we haven't seen the end of this yet. My fear is that once the terrorists realize they can't hijack planes anymore, they will turn to more conventional attacks.
If watching footage of the plane crashes doesn't get to you, try watching the interviews with some of the victims families. Truly gut-wrenching.
[Edited last by GordonL on September 13, 2001 at 08:45 PM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee, this looks like the melting pot for posts. I do have a few questions.
I heard about the gold bullion burried in the basement earlier today. I have to assume that it is in a safe, and thought that anyone that was able to get to it might be ok.
Later, a friend said that there were fast-food joints down there too. Maybe they could eat?
Last, he said that had a secured tunnel that went over to the Wall Street side. Does anyone know anything about any of this?
Glenn

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Any new news on the reported 10 officers they believed where alive?
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
quote: Anyone heard information about Bin Laden and his bank accounts in Saudi Arabia? Supposedly, he's financing his efforts via Saudi oil sales. [/quote]
I read a background article on bin Laden a couple of days ago. He comes from a wealthy Saudi family whose money was made in construction, if I remember correctly. I believe the money he has is his personal inheritance. I think he is a wanted man in his native country. Don't take my word for any of this - go to any major news sites and do a search. You'll find plenty has been written about him.
Bin Laden seems to me to be an odd duck of a terrorist. He claims to be fighting for oppressed Muslims, yet is personally is about as oppressed as the Queen of England. He declares war on Israel & America, yet has denied culpability for all of the terrorist acts attributed to him (most terrorists claim responsibility for their acts because they are looking for attention).
My perception of him (and I claim no special knowledge so take all of this with a large grain of salt) is that he is a puppet-master, recruiting eager young men by twisting the tenets of their religion to fuel the fires of their hatred, and then sending them out to their deaths as his personal weapons. He does all this from hiding - never placing himself in personal danger and denying responsibility for his acts. I believe he nothing more than a megalomaniac, a psychopath, and a coward.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!
[Edited last by Craig S on September 14, 2001 at 09:19 AM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Mayor Guiliani and Governor Pataki have been holding a press conference for the last half hour. Highlights that I've been able to catch:
1. Major efforts are being made to reopen as much of the Wall Street area as possible by Monday. (Wall Street runs east of Broadway; the WTC complex is west of Broadway.)
2. All of the people detained at area airports last night have been cleared of any involvement.
3. The media are being implored to be more careful about the information they report. Much of it has been premature and inaccurate. They are particularly concerned about reporting of rumors regarding specific signs of life (tapping, etc.) heard in the wreckage; they don't want to raise false hopes when there's no hard evidence.
4. There are reports of a telemarketing firm that is calling people (mostly elderly) and soliciting donations for the relief effort. Should anyone receive such calls, they should be reported to law enforcement authorities at once; no such operation has been authorized by state or local authorities.
5. A woman was arrested last night after she gave rescuers on the scene a detailed account of a supposedly missing husband who was a Port Authority cop. She claimed to have received a cell phone call from him and provided name, badge number and other details. All of the information turned out to be false.
6. Police Commissioner Kerik has directed rescue workers to stop giving interviews to the media in order to stem the flow of false information, and has advised the public not to come to the scene to offer help; they already have more than enough people, and they're concerned about safety.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 14, 2001 at 10:06 AM]

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
There are reports of a telemarketing firm that is calling people (mostly elderly) and soliciting donations for the relief
First we had price gougers, we have had continuous in bomb threats, now we have false charity collectors... These people are scum.
I don't know how everyone else feels, but I consider all of the people doing these things to be in league with terrorists and they should be treated accordingly.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
One of the things the Taliban are afraid of is that if we have a sustained attack on them. It will allow the Northern Alliance(who is the group that controls about 10% of the country) to make gains. Right now they are about 30 miles from Kabul. It has been a stalemate for the past few years. But, if we do attack. It will embolden them and may allow them to get the upper hand.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I understand the Taliban have said that if we attack Afganistan, they will retaliate. It seems to me this is a direct threat which means that with the free world's new attitude toward dealing with terrorists, they should be eliminated in a manner that will prevent any form of retaliation.
Talk about digging your own grave. These people just don't get the message.
Deane

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
One of the things the Taliban are afraid of is that if we have a sustained attack on them.
They should have thought of that before they assisted Bin Laden (no matter the extent).
-Mike
------------------
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.
void *: Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Deane: of course they will retalliate if possible. That is how war works. Each side does what it can to hurt the other. Should we attack, our first missions will be to eliminate any possible response.
Thus the question of course is will Afghanistan cooperate and do what must be done to rid itself of terrorist camps, or will they soon be the next Iraq.
And a more important question is will Pakistan or one of the former Soviet republics side with us as well or with Afghanistan. Afghanistan is probably the worst country the US could attack strategically... we have ZERO allies in that region that border the country, and it is landlocked, which means our naval force would have to overfly another unfriendly nation as well.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'm beggining to think that it's a bad idea to have all these networks reporting 24 hours a day. The amount of misinformation that is being spread because the networks have to be first is appalling. Between the reports of additional attempted hijackings at JFK and La Guardia (which turned out to be false) and the news that there were 10 NYPD officers alive in a vortex (also false) it's making this tragedy into even a bigger rollercoaster than it already is.
Basically, I wish the networks would check the facts before making their reports.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I read or heard somewhere, perhaps in the Drudge Report, that Russia was likely going to let us use a couple of their nearby bases to operate from. They apparently don't like these people either.
I hope this is true. The more all countries of the world unite against the terrorists, the better chance we have of eliminating their threat.
Deane

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
It is fortunate (in a manner of speaking) that China and Russia have the same problem with Muslim extremists that we do!
[Edited last by chris c on September 14, 2001 at 11:16 AM]

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Watching Ted Koppel's program on ABC last night was very informative. He had some good people on the show who were very knowledgeable about Pakistan, Russia, etc. and the historical perspectives they talked about were very interesting.
These recent events have gotten me so interested in that part of the world that I never paid attention to before that I am now finding myself reading as much as possible about these countries and their relationships with each other.
~Edwin
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on September 14, 2001 at 12:06 PM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Should we attack, our first missions will be to eliminate any possible response.
I don't think we are supposed to be discussing retaliation. Also, according to experts who were on Ted Koppel's show last night there are as many as 50 countries with active terrorist cells linked to ben Laden, which I am sure include the US.
There is no possibility of eliminating a possible response.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Question: Does anyone know where I might find a deatiled flight path of the plane that went down in PA. It appears to have flow almost directly over my house- wondering if anyone had put together a good map of it's path?
Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Did anyone see Peter Jennings show a website that shows all US Air Traffic updated every 15 seconds? i thought it was flight(something).com Anyone know the url?
[Edited last by Matthew_S on September 14, 2001 at 12:46 PM]

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Vince,
There is a large slideshow on Yahoo News but I don't have a link, sorry. It has the flight paths of all the planes including the Penna one.
------------------
-JQJ

Users who are viewing this thread