WTB: Decent DELL PC from past year or two

Discussion in 'Hardware Classifieds' started by Vince Maskeeper, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Lead Actor

My aunt needs a replacement PC on a tight budget. I'd like to get a DELL Dimension or Optiplex package system (Tower only, no monitor- could take keyboard/mouse if you want but don't need it) from within the past year or two.

Looking for something in the Celron/P3-P4 range, 1 ghz or better, decent ram-- prefer it have all stock parts, and still under warranty would be wonderful as well.

Since their entry level machines are like $399-699 new, I'm looking for something at the $400 or under price point. Just figured if you had an older machine laying around you got on a dell coupon promo- it could really help me out.

-Vince

2. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

OK, Vince, this is not exactly what you are looking for, but as it is sitting on the floor and substantially cheaper than your "top range", I will run it by you. This is $150 plus shipping, I have the orginal box.

I have a 3.5 year old Dimension XPS T500 (P3 500), 256MB, 13.7G drive (7200)... It's been a great machine, never had even the slightest problem with it. Upgraded to a 4400 last year (I am on my third Dell now), was going to have the XPS run my bedroom multimedia setup, still may, but if it works for you, I think it's a very good deal. Send me private mail if you are interested and want more info, as I do not come to this section much.

3. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Vince,

You can get a new Dell Dimension 2350 for $329 after rebate. Celeron-1.8Ghz 128MB DDR Memory/30GB 7200RPM HD, Free 48x CDRW. See techbargains.com for details. Hardly seems worth buying used unless you can get a really good deal. Good luck.

Jay

4. Vince Maskeeper

Saw this deal (similar?) on gotapex.com last week, but it was over. Checked Techbargains and could find nothing about it.

-Vince

5. ryan davis

ryan davis Stunt Coordinator

Dell has a deal right now for around $330+tax for a dimension 4550, youd have to deal with a $100 rebate though.

Dell Dimension 4550 Series: Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.53GHz with 533MHz
    Memory: 128MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz
    Video Cards: 32MB ATI® Rage™ Ultra Graphics Card
    Hard Drive: 60gb free upgrade
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

starting at 499 after IR
    499 -15% coupon - 100MIR = cheap

Just customise everything to be as cheap as possible, use the 15% off code (i could give you one if you email me) and send in the rebate.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Went through the page for the 4550, and even unchecking everything i could find, it ended up at $779.

Couldn't find an instant rebate- just showed $200 mail in rebate.

7. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

8. ryan davis

ryan davis Stunt Coordinator

I should have mentioned its in dell small buisness. Just use your name as the buisness and your good to go.

Edit to add that the link Jay_E put up doesnt have the free 60gb hard drive chosen, you might want to change that [​IMG]

9. David_Wh

David_Wh Stunt Coordinator

Vince

-Go to Dell.com
    -then Small Business on the right side
    -Choose Desktops
    -scroll down to middle of page and click on "Choose Dimension"
    -scroll to middle of page, under the middle system for $399 Choose "Featured System"
    -Choose "Customize it" for the $399 system
    -Use defaults for everything (unless you see something more you want) but go to the Hard Drive section and choose the "Free Upgrade 60GB drive"
    -scroll down, Continue, continue, Add to cart
    It should show $599 with $100 Instant rebate, use a 15% coupon that the other fellow offered you (careful as once you put it in the system it is no longer useable- be careful)
    Cheap system with $100 MIR

Good luck

10. Vince Maskeeper

I'm still missing something as I can get it to $628, but not to $599. Will go through again and try it later.

Thanks for the tips!

-Vince

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

On the last page (accessories), check to see if it's got a surge protector ticked. I just messed about trying to get a good price & I noticed that Dell were ticking it by default, it costs about $30... Without it, I've got a machine right at $599 before discounts.

Wish I had the cash for a new machine, as I'd *love* to get in on this deal.

12. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I have most of a Dell Dimensions 4100. P3 866, 256MB SDRAM, motherboard, Soundblaster Live Value, and I don't remember what video card it has... I think it's a TNT2 or TNT4 based card. I've taken out the hard drive, floppy drive and CD ROM drive to put in my new PC. I'd taken the modem out too, but I have broadband now, so I can put the modem card back in. I don't think you'll be able to put a floppy drive back into the standard case location, because I had to use the case's push button to get the floppy to work in the new computer. It has 1 or 2 external 3 1/2" bays though, so a floppy drive could go there.

I have no use for this hardware, so I'd be willing to let it go cheap. If you're interested in adding FDD, HDD and CD-ROM to it to get a complete PC, email me and we can talk about price.

13. Vince Maskeeper

Got the basics for ordering that above deal, just need a working 15% coupon code. Anyone wanna help a brother out?

-Vince