What's new

WTB: A Better 4" Speaker (1 Viewer)

negcreep

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I inherited a set of towers with 4" speakers and small tweeters in them. I'm looking to upgrade the speakers since they seem generic and very cheap. I'm not looking for anything too spectacular just something better than these. If you have something that you're willing to sell for around $80 for the pair, please let me know. Also, I have the enclosure so I only need speakers. Thanks for looking.

-Brian

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Home theater drivers aren't like car stereo speakers. Where pretty much all 4" car stereo speakers are inter-changable, meaning they are all exactly the same size and ohm rating, home drivers that are called 4" can be anywhere from 3 3/4" to almost 5 inches.

And there's a lot more to replacing drivers then just getting something the same size. But since they are relatively in-expensive speakers and you're not expecting anything too spectacular then I suggest you look at PartsExpress.com for replacements. The most important spec to look at is the ohm rating. Hopefully your old drivers/tweeters have the ohm rating on the back of the magnets. And just because the speaker itself is rated at say, 8 ohms doesn't mean the drivers are also 8 ohm. They could be 4 ohm.

The Partsexpress house brand, Dayton, has some good in-expensive options. Goldwood is another to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks