What's new

Wow! WB to release "Classic TV Christmas Collection" on MOD (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Point-Blank

Gary "that was definitely a classic Christmas episode, Walker" O.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Warners should send this to retail stores,in countries that aren't fortunate enough to have access to their MOD program.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that the shows they are pulling episodes from for this release will be seeing BOD releases some time in the near future. Although the only one I would get excited about would be Eight is Enough. TNT ran all of the Courtship of Eddie's Fathers complete and uncut several times through. I got all of the Kildares off film long ago and Turner South actually aired them as well. I don't care about the other series at all.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I've had a nagging feeling from the first moments I read about this set that I'm not going to be pleased with the KILDARE choice WB will make in putting this set out. I hope I'm wrong, and we should know very soon as it's been reported the set will go up for pre-order tomorrow.

Gary "if the WB does something as stupid as not going with the first KILDARE I don't think I'll buy this set" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
This set is now up for pre-order at the WB Shop, but the description of the KILDARE episode is too vague to know whether it's the Season One or Season Four episode. However, the description for the ALICE episode tells us that it is the 1st Season one from that show (which had four or five Christmas eps in total), so the logical conclusion is that the KILDARE episode will be the 1st Season one as well. After all, there's no reason for it not to be the 1st season one, right? It only makes sense that when a studio is putting together this type of compilation they'd start with first season Christmas episodes if there are more than one in a given series. CBS/Paramount has done this with their Christmas dvds. Same with Shout when they put out their's last year. So I'm sure I have nothing to worry about here...

Gary "if Warners does not use the 1st season Christmas ep from KILDARE, I have a theory (one that bothers me terribly) as to why" O.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Be careful with that logical thing Gary, it rarely applies to TV on DVD.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Montytc

Agreed. Thus the use of the "rolls eyes" emoticon in my post.

Gary "as I said, I've just had a sinking feeling about this ever since the release was announced - but I've tried not to give in to pessimistic thoughts" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent S .

Somehow I just knew they'd pull this. I've got some choice thoughts on why they'd bypass the first season episode, but I'm too upset and disgusted to say what I'm thinking at the moment.

Gary "unbelievable" O.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'm sharing in Gary's disgust for this release now as well...but for a different reason. They are using the 2nd Christmas episode of "Mama's Family" which isn't as Christmas-y as "Santa Mama". Who decides these things anyway? Terrible choices. I was all set to buy the set for that episode alone. Now, I'm not going to bother.

Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

Somehow I just knew they'd pull this. I've got some choice thoughts on why they'd bypass the first season episode, but I'm too upset and disgusted to say what I'm thinking at the moment.

Gary "unbelievable" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert13

I'm sharing in Gary's disgust for this release now as well...but for a different reason. They are using the 2nd Christmas episode of "Mama's Family" which isn't as Christmas-y as "Santa Mama". Who decides these things anyway? Terrible choices. I was all set to buy the set for that episode alone. Now, I'm not going to bother.

Robert, what you just said actually plays into my thinking on this. I'll post more when I cool down.

Gary "from ecstasy to agony" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Gary, for someone not familiar with Kildare, can you just enlighten me on whether you think the bypassing of this S1 episode (which according to the summation has to do with a "Scrooge" type character getting admitted) has to do with a potential music issue or does it have something to do with an episode content issue?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P

Gary, for someone not familiar with Kildare, can you just enlighten me on whether you think the bypassing of this S1 episode (which according to the summation has to do with a "Scrooge" type character getting admitted) has to do with a potential music issue or does it have something to do with an episode content issue?

Jack, it wouldn't have anything at all to do with a music issue. Every music piece used in the episode is traditional, old-time Christmas carols. My feelings are that whoever made the choices did so more because of content, and I'm thinking the point would be to stay away from anything overtly religious. Here are a couple of the facts that are persuading me to lean in that direction at present.

1) When Warners was alerted to the fact that THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE'S FATHER never actually had a Christmas episode, this was their reply:

[SIZE= 12px]Interesting production note: the ep is not specific to Xmas but was made for Xmas. About gifting. Very subtle and sweet. We defined it would fit based on what we understand as the production's intent. Also, you get a great COEF ep![/SIZE]

I've seen the episode they are using, and believe me it has no trappings of Christmas at all. It's simply not a Christmas episode in any way, shape or form. I'd love to know why the producers of that series decided to bypass all the traditions of Christmas, yet say they were doing a Christmas-like episode. I have to question the mindset there. And I definitely question why Warner would choose this particular series, which had no true Christmas episode, to include on a WB Christmas set. It just seems weird to me. There are certainly other series in their library they could have used instead. Shows that actually had Christmas episodes. For instance, many people here talk about wishing they could see 77 SUNSET STRIP. Well, that show actually had a Christmas episode. Why not use it instead of COEF? I just have questions as to why this was done.

2) The first season KILDARE episode was thoroughly Christmasy from start to finish. It was a superb episode all the way around. It involved a drunken side-walk Santa who was rushed into the hospital early on Christmas Eve day. He immediately makes it clear he doesn't believe in God and wants nothing to do with the kindness of the nurses or doctors. He hates hearing the kids, as they make the rounds in the hospital, coming into his room to sing Christmas carols. He hates the Nativity that is brought into his room by the chaplain. Dr. Gillespie has more than one conversation with him about religion and why he, as a man of medicine, believes in God. It's all very pointed but very well done, IMHO. Eventually we find out the man was once a minister himself but his daughter had died tragically in a car accident and his wife had then left him after becoming an alcoholic. He fled the ministry and became a drunkard himself. Of course all ends well as his faith is restored at the end of the episode. It was just great TV, from start to finish.

So I have to wonder if the individual(s) in charge just made a conscious choice to steer away from anything overtly religious. The fourth season episode, while fine on it's own, simply doesn't rise to the greatness of that first season ep in any way, shape, or form. Maybe it has nothing to do with that, but if so I'd love to hear what went into the decision.

Anyhow, that's what I'm thinking right now. As I said above, I hope I'm wrong on that assumption. I really do. But the choices do seem very strange. I'd think if one were compiling episodes, you'd look for those that are the most Christmasy (and at times may have some religious overtones), but that doesn't seem to have been the case here.

Gary "extremely disappointed" O.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Wait a second, we're talking about that Christmas episode of "Kildare" that had Dan O'Herlihy guest-star, right? Playing a drunken bum? I thought for sure that was going to be the one included in this WB set. It's extremely memorable. Probably one of the best Christmas episodes of any tv-series... ever. When this was first announced, I certainly assumed that was the episode they had in mind. I'd love to see it again. One of the main reasons I was planning on ordering the set. This is rather deflating news!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'll add one more possibility as to why Warners might have gone with the later KILDARE episode (and it's one I'd hope is correct). Perhaps they are prepping a 1st Season set release and don't want to be redundant with the Christmas episodes. If that is their reasoning, then I'd understand completely. If that's not the reason, I'll stick with my theory till I hear something more definitive.

Gary "still bummed about this news" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Gary, that was EXACTLY the point I was thinking of when I was referring to "content" and if so, then I am indeed not surprised given the attitudes of modern-day Hollywood.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P

Gary, that was EXACTLY the point I was thinking of when I was referring to "content" and if so, then I am indeed not surprised given the attitudes of modern-day Hollywood.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but as you said, knowing the attitude that's prevalent today I don't believe my hypothesis as to why certain episodes were chosen over others is all that crazy. All I can say for sure is that the 1st Season episode of KILDARE is one of the most religious (portrayed positively) episodes, Christmas or not, that I've ever seen. And I thought it was tremendous from beginning to end.

Gary "glad I'm not the only one thinking along these lines" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Why bother calling it a "Christmas Collection" in the first place? Warner Classic TV "Holiday Collection" or "Gift-Giving Collection" might be more apropos.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
The position of Hollywood reflects todays society where religion in any form is seen as the position on nut cases and no sane person would believe in it. That's by 2 cents worth anyway. A far cry from the 50s and 60s. I preordered this set anyway so I can have some of these shows on dvd. $29 for a 4 dvd set is very reasonable.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Was this cancelled? The preorder link now points to a page with this message:

WE ARE SORRY! The product you are looking for couldn't be identified. Please look for an alternative selection in our catalog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks