What's new

"WOW!" Moments in the Movies (1 Viewer)

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Episode 1!!!: hangar doors open to reveal Darth Maul;
Raiders: truck explosion in Cairo;
Gladiator: arena battle - lady gets chopped in half.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Matrix:
Neo woke up from "downloading" : "I know Kung Fu", Morpheus: "Show me..".

Star Wars (aka A New Beginning):
M. Falcon kicks into light speed.
Obi Wen and Darth Vader face off, both turn on their light saber

Bullitt:
When one of the hit men knew Steve McQueen wasn't going to be a push over, he reached down and buckled his seat belt..

Sanjuro:
The final show down.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Sergio- good call on the truck explosion from Raiders.
it wasn' eye candy, or some wicked cool camera move, it was just a big fat dramatic WOW ("who'd a thought they would kill the romantic interest?")
but then again from the boulder to the cairo street rumble to the truck chase to the end, the movie was one long WOW.

some i remember from a misspent youth in darkened theaters;

Superman - the movie
- the first appearance in costume and first short flying shot inside the fortress of solitude.
we were finally seeing that the posters and ad campaign had promised, and from that scene- it WAS believable.

- the other scene from this that really got me to starch my back in my chair was right after he's been divested of the kryptonite necklace and he rises up out of the water (nice low angle shot) tells Ms Teschmacher to "stand aside" rises up, gains speed as Williams incredible score swells , and blows a huge hole thru the ceiling as debris rains down below.
having grown up with years of George Reeves re-runs and its pre-historic special effects, to see something like this was jaw dropping.

Alien
- the first wide shot of the space jockey was a real breath-taking sight. that slow pull-back and the bizarre, and original mechanical/organic production design and creepy Goldsmith cues...a great movie moment that.

- and then the 'chest-burster'. 'nuff said.

- the death of Dallas. "they actually killed the leading man?!" all bets were off.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Every single second of Moulin Rouge.

Neo being "reborn" as "the one" at the end of The Matrix, seeing the matrix as it really is, slowing the bullets down in mid air with a mere hand gesture, fighting agent Smith with one hand, desrtoying agent Smith and then causing a warp in the matrix when he flexes.

In The Matrix Reloaded when Neo has 60 guys pile on top of him and with one move, gets all of them flying into the air as we bullet time around them.

Every shot of the TITANIC on the open sea in Titanic, and the entire sinking sequence.

The entire attack sequence in Pearl Harbor.

The first time we see the Brachiosaurus lumbering up that hill in Jurassic Park, and the entire T-Rex attack on the tour cars.

Brad M

Second Unit
Star Wars Episode 2 - "I killed them all" scene

E.T. - Meeting in the cornfield

The canon that flies straight at you in The Patriot. First time I ever ducked in a theater.

The scene in We Were Soldiers where the troops are loading into the choppers to head into battle.

Saving Private Ryan - Two WW2 vets sat next to me and cried. I couldn't talk for an hour after leaving the theater.

American Beauty - Last "shot"

Toy Story 2 - the opening

"No, I am your father."

Return Of The Jedi - Vader revealed

Platoon - Gomer in the bathroom. That scene punched me in the stomach the first time I saw it.

Shawshank Redemption - I started to really feel like I was trapped in prison.

Superman flying to rescue a falling Lois.

I'm sure there's lots more.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Let me preface this by saying that I go to Movies to get Wowed and to be taken away so my list is long, very long. I get the “Wow” feeling from action scenes to emotionally charged scenes. Here goes:

Chronological Order:

1.Ending scene of Sunset Boulevard where Gloria Swanson is walking down the stairs thinking she’s being filmed for a movie. Great moment.

2.The Kiss in Rear Window when we first see Grace Kelly. Her slow motion approach to Jimmy Stewart was hypnotic and magical.

3.The Chariot race in Ben-Hur. Makes Gladiator look like a made for TV movie on the Lifetime channel.

4.Shower scene in the Original Psycho! The music, the knife, the audacity to kill off a big star like that was shocking.

5.“Spider-walk” scene in The Exorcist. No pun intended but she was the Devil and it scared the hell out of me.

6.Opening of Jaws. Maybe the most frightening opening in film history. Especially on the dts dvd where you can really hear her struggling. God, I’ve got chills just typing that!

7.Pre-title sequence in The Spy Who Loved Me. Skiing off a cliff into a Union Jack parachute was brilliant and gasping.

8.Luke’s Binary Sunset in A New Hope. Quite possibly my favorite moment in any Star Wars film. The beautiful music playing while Luke stares at those 2 suns pondering his future. Beautiful.

9.This may sound goofy, but the titles swooshing by in Superman. That great John Williams music and those credits seeming like they were rolling by me.

10.Asteroid scene in The Empire Strikes Back. Was an out of body experience and just too cool.

11.“No, I am your father!”…Empire Strikes Back. Waaaaay before Internet and spoilers and no one could see that coming. Blew me away.

12.When E.T makes their bikes fly away from the cars. Gave me a lump in my throat.

13.The speeder-bike chase in Return Of The Jedi. Not only was it cool, but sounded cool too.

14.Return of the Jedi: Vader tossing the Emperor, thus saving Luke’s life. Had moist in the eyes at that moment. What a tremendous payoff for a saga.

15.Robert Redford’s final home run in The Natural. Randy Newman’s fantastic score, lights going out etc…simply chilling.

16.Aliens: “Get away from her you Bitch!”….Funny line, but scary too!

17.The alien from Predator wowed me every time on screen. Remember thinking back in ’87 how creative this alien was. And a bad-ass too.

18.T2: the motorcycle-alley chase. Incredibly cool.

19.T-Rex and the Goat in Jurassic Park. Think some urine leaked out right about then.

20.Beginning of Disney’s Hunchback Of Notre Dame. Haunting music, great visuals, and such a grand way to open one of Disney’s most underrated films.

21.Opening of Twister when the father gets sucked away. A truly enveloping surround mix that added the Wow factor to that scene.

22. Titanic: All of it.

23.Beginning 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. We’ve always heard that war was hell. This time we got to see it and we believed.

24.Ending of The Sixth Sense. Didn’t see it coming and was floored. Still holds up as a great moment in film history.

25.The Great Duel in The Phantom Menace. Our first look at the Jedi in their Prime. Incredibly intense and athletic.

26.“Firebird Suite-1919 Version” from Fantasia 2000. Seeing that in Imax was not only breathtaking, but one I won’t ever forget.

27.Airplane crash in Cast Away. We know it’s coming, but still so frightening and real. You could almost feel the struggle Hanks had in trying to stay alive.

28.First “flying fight” in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. So original, cool, and yet sophisticated.

29.Call me a sucker but the end of Monster’s Inc. when Sully sees Boo again. Ok, I’ll admit it brought about a tear. Nice moment.

30.“Come What May” ending song in Moulin Rouge. I was hooked by then, but that was an emotionally charged scene.

31.Pearl Harbor attack in Pearl Harbor. Michael Bay at his best. Visually stunning.

32.The Prologue from Fellowship Of The Ring. Quite possibly the most cinematic opening of any film ever made.

33.Gandalf vs. Balrog in FOTR. And the moment he falls, the shot of Frodo…”Noooooo!” The music there summed it all up.

34.Gift giving scene from the Extended Edition of FOTR. Nice touch that gave me a lump in my throat.

35.Signs: When Merrill is watching TV and we see, along with him, the alien for the first time. I accidentally kicked the person in front of me when that image hit the screen.

36.Coruscant chase scene from Attack Of The Clones. A thrill ride of a sequence.

37.AOTC: Anakin slaughters the Tuskin Raiders, then the camera fades to Yoda meditating. Wow. One of the best moments of Clones.

38.Arena Battle from AOTC. Sure it was eye candy, but it was a Star Wars fans dream of seeing so many Jedi in battle at once.

39.Ending musical scenes of AOTC. “Begun, this Clone War has” says Yoda as we see the ships setting out with that wonderful rendition of the Imperial March theme….then switches gears and goes to playing the beautiful love them from AOTC where Anakin and Padme wed in secret. A truly great emotional ending!

There you have it.

Ryan B

Agent
A New Hope -- The opening firefight.

Return of the Jedi -- Vader turns on the Emperor and saves his son.

The Matrix -- "Welcome to the desert of the real".

The Matrix -- "I know Kung Fu!" "Show me..."

Hero -- The leaf battle.

Jaws -- Quint's demise.

FOTR -- The prologue.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Saving Private Ryan - The Tank scene where a bunch of the guys are swarming over the tank trying to kill the crew. The Germans pull up a twenty mm anti-tank gun and literally blow the guys on the tank to shreds. The way they showed all those empty shell casings being ejected and then cut away to the guys being ripped up. It just seemed more shocking than anything in the Omaha beach scene.

Mellish's death after the radar site mg nest attack.

We were Soldiers - The final charge scene, where they come over the rise and stop. An NVA machine gun crew is just about to open up, when the gunship makes its attack. The stunned look the Americans have on their faces at the sheer ferocity and destructiveness of the gunship chain gun attack sticks in the memory.

Apocalypse Now - The entire opening sequence with The Doors "The End" playing in the background and then seguing into the ceiling fan and the sound of chopper blades followed by the rest of the bedroom scene with Martin Sheen.

When Sheen is on the boat reading Kurtz's file and marveling over the Brass charging Kurtz with murder. Sheen's character states "Charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indianapolis 500". Not so much "wow" as just being a memorable cutting remark.

The napalm attack on the tree line called in by Kilgore so his "boys" can surf "safely".

Raiders of The Lost Ark - The scene where Indy pulls out his pistol and guns down the sword swinging villain. It makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Bambi - The rainstorm scene. The best animation of water movement ever done and supported by one of the most tightly timed soundtracks ever done. The music doesn't just play in the background on this film....it becomes part of the visuals.

Wings of Honneamise - The rocket lift off sequence in this film was amazing, considering that it is entirely hand animated......no computers.

There is a high overhead shot in this film where an APC is destroyed by an air to ground missile and shrapnel from the ensuing explosion falls into the water, resulting in multiple rippling across the surface. Beautiful piece of animation.....even though it only lasts a couple of seconds.

A scene where a downed fighter goes vertically into a shack on the ground below.

Swordfish - The opening sequence when the human "claymore" goes off. What ever one thinks of the film, that scene certainly made one go "wow".

Battlefield Earth - Made me go "WOW" at just how shitty Travolta's acting can be when he doesn't have a strong director providing guidance.

The Matrix - The lobby shootout scene.

2001: A Space Odyssey - The bone to space edit.

The Pan-Am shuttle docking sequence set to the music of "The Blue Danube".

Terminator 2 - When the tractor-trailer comes flying off the overpass and into the trench.

Fantasia - The Night On Bald Mountain sequence.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Along with many mentioned thus far, I must add:

Innumerable examples of the crazy crap Jackie Chan has done over the years, especially during the Police Story/Project A years.

Fantasia - at least half of the film, even after dozens of viewings (special nods to leaves frosting, broomsticks marching, dinosaurs dying, and Chernobog Chernoboging)

Koyaanisqatsi - The Grid

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad - The Cyclops' first appearence

Sanjuro - final duel (a guaranteed immediate replay and watch again for any first-time viewer)

The Taming of the Shrew (1929) - Not a WOW! moment for awesomeness, but rather as in "Wow! I can't believe I just saw something that ridiculous on screen." The ridiculousness? A credit that reads "Written by William Shakespeare, with additional dialogue by Sam Taylor." Wow.

Evan

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Final Fight between Luke and Vader in ROTJ...when Vader is taunting Luke and Luke starts goin off on Vader while the haunting score starts playing...man I'm gettin shivers right now...

"Luke I am your father..."

Doors opening and Darth Maul being on the other side...he looks up and cush-bicky-bam! They go fightin...that is one of the greatest moments!

Death Star Trench Run...

Coruscant Chase in AOTC...hell even now...when Obi jumps out of the window...still produces a wow...

When you see the Republic Gunships comin into the Arena in AOTC...and then you see that theres a whole war goin on outside...wow...my jaw was on the floor...

Asteroid chase in ESB...

Jabba's Saile Barge fight in ROTJ...

Podrace in TPM...

In Superman where he catches the rockets but the one hits the fault...the entire sequence of him fixing everything...wow...

In LOTR FOTR...right when Lurtz is about ready to finish off Boromir..and then BAM...Aragorn comes in...their fight was just astonishing...and everyone in the theater...when Aragorn cuts his head off...there was a collective sigh...

In LOTR TTT...when the Ents destory Isengard...big WOW!

LOTR TTT...Gandalf and Company charging Helms Deep...

In Aliens after they land back at the ship and the Queen is still on board! WHOA!

Daredevil...in the opening after the backstory...when he goes out for the night...just how I imagined him moving from the comics...

The Killer...the final gunfight in the church...wow...nothin like it...

Hard Boiled...the final 45min. gunfight...

Star Wars AOTC...the Tusken Camp scene and the following Confession scene...man thats a big WOW!

In 2001 when Bowman goes out to get Frank and Hal locks him out...that whole sequence just had me on the edge of my seat...

The Crow...that fight with all the kingpins...sooo cool...

Opening chase to World is Not Enough...

The car flip in Man with the Golden Gun...

The Ski Jump in Spy Who Loved Me...

Titanic sinking...thats just...wow...

Minority Report...the fight in the garage...

The Hunted...the final fight...finally some realistic fights...and bloody as all hell!

M:I2...the bike chase...the whole thing was just wow...the first time I saw it...man...sooo cool...

Blade 2...the 2nd scene...where Blade jumps out da building and the following sequence...

Dark City...reveal of the city...whoa...

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Thought of one more:

Hidden Fortress: when General Rokurota Makabe fights the other general (Izumi Nagakura?) in Izumi's camp. When they start fighting with the spears, I nearly fell off the couch.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, I have watched this thread for quite a while ;)

Thinking, always thinking, all my thought was bent on it...

Yes, Jurassic Park. So many WOW! moments, even a decade later. The Brontosaurus reveal, the T-Rex attack, the museum at the end...just awe-inspiring ;)

Aliens - the first nest. After an hour of NOTHING BUT tightening the screws and prolonged set-up/build-up, Cameron releases it in a quick, brutal, and lethal bit of action that had my jaw on the floor. And once it starts, it never really stops until the credits roll.

Star Wars Trilogy - I was young. I am sure all of it seemed WOW at the time, but these STILL (and always will)stand out: The trench, Dagobah and Bespin (ALL OF BESPIN), and the final space battle in ROTJ are the most powerful. But in there is the speeder bike chase, Hoth, and the interior of the Death Star.

Se7en - Sloth (you know the moment). That changed the whole dynamic of the film and John Doe

Spider-Man - ending montage...hey, I grew up on it ;)

LOTR: FOTR - Outside the Mines of Moria after Gandalf's fall

Titanic - probably the most minute by minute WOWs for me in my cinematic life. Even the trailer was a WOW, actually. I still think it's ending was one of the most beautiful, haunting, dynamic shots I have ever seen. So was most of everything leading up to it. In conjunction, seeing Ghosts of the Abyss in IMAX brought quite a few more WOW's to the tale

Speaking of trailers, The full Pearl Harbor (with Journey to the Line) trailer is still, for my money, one of the most beautiful trailers I have ever seen. I will speak no more of the film itself

The Matrix - The Desert of the Real sequence

Terminator 2: Judgement Day - the psychiatric hospital escape...the T-1000 pouring into the elevator

Toy Story 2 - Jesse's Song (enough said)

More if I remember,
Chuck

Scott McAllister

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'll add a few contributions to this.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet.

Platoon - Elias' fate still grabs me every time. Incredibly moving.

Shawshank Redemption - Brooks' life after parole.

Armageddon - The initial destruction of New York.

Frighteners - Opening sequence was very creepy.

LOTR:FOTR - The intro to the dwarf city and Gandalf w/ the Balrog.

LA Confidential - When Dudley kills Vincenes. Not moving per se, but very gripping.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
So many "WOW!" scenes to name and so little time. :)

Two that came to my mind instantly when I read this thread title was the Firebird Suite in Fantasia 2000 and the moment in Fight Club when Ed Norton realizes he is Tyler Durden.

Some other great "WOW!" moments off the top of my head:

Fight Club: Plane Collision

Fellowship of the Ring: The overhead crane tracking shot during the Battle of Amon Hen

The Matrix: Trinity's kick at the beginning and The dojo fight sequence

The Two Towers: Gandalf vs. the Balrog and the storming of Isengard

Saving Private Ryan: The scene when the platoon is walking on the hill top at night and their silhouettes are lit up by the bombing in the background (beautiful shot)

Pearl Harbor: Attack on Pearl Harbor

Black Hawk Down: The entire film, I was so drained after seeing this the 1st time

X-men: The 1st time we see Wolverine's claws at the bar (the cutting of the shotgun was awesome)

Attack of the Clones: Obi-Wan and Jango Fett fight

Phantom Menace: Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan battle

Monster's Inc - The final shot (one of the greatest final shots ever)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Quite possibly my all-time favorite thread ever on the HTF. This is the reason I joined this forum Great thread Jordan and for all those who have posted their Wow! memories. Truly great stuff here.

Chuck,
Agree with your assessment of Titanic. That ending shot was magical and will go down as one of cinema's most grand moments.

:)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The first battle scene between the Reliant and Enterprise in Star Trek 2:TWOK.

The spider-walk scene in the Exorcist scared the piss out of me.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Good thread topic…the kind that really makes you want to delve into your library for some revisiting.

Interestingly, the first “Wow” moment that came to mind when I read the subject header was the very first one mentioned by the original poster – the mothership reveal in CE3K. Also, the Devil’s Tower reveal when Roy and Jillian get out of their car (John Williams has a lot to do with both moments).

As previously mentioned, the reveal of the great hall of Moria in FOTR – “Let me risk a bit more light.” Spectacular visuals married to one of the best musical cues I’ve ever heard in a film (Track 12 on the CD, which I’ve practically worn out).

The Zero unexpectedly exploding in a sunset sky in Empire of the Sun. Just a brief moment, but the image stayed with me. Also, the “ascension” of Mrs. Richards soul.

The final shot of Scorsese’s The Age of Innocence. Not a “big” moment visually, but emotionally it knocked me on my ass.

Several moments from Neo’s “awakening” in The Matrix come to mind – particularly the reveal of the birth chamber with its criss-crossing lightning bolts, and later that big shot of the “endless fields…where human beings are not born…they’re grown.” (Bring on May 15th)

Blade Runner – the killing of Tyrell. Just a great scene all around, unforgettably shot, scored, and performed. (What on Earth was Rutger Hauer thinking about when he made all those tortured faces?) And capped off with that impossible “fallen angel” shot of the stars through the lift windows.

In Crouching Tiger, Zhang Ziyi’s little flourish with the sword after destroying the restaurant. One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen any actor do in a movie, and definitive proof that Zhang Ziyi should be in every movie, no exceptions (and digitally inserted into older films).

Lawrence of Arabia – Lawrence’s return from the Nefud with Gassim. How is it still so suspenseful and emotional after the 20th viewing?

Jake waiting for the final pummeling from Sugar Ray Robinson in Raging Bull.

I could go on forever...

--Jefferson Morris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks