What's new

Wow! I didn't expect this: I think I'm done w/ analog amps (receiver or separates) (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I don't think your perception was colored Dan. These receivers are that good. Just wait until you hear it in HT. I just got my LOTR:ROTK EE DVD today and put it in for a spin for the first hour or so in DTS ES. What I heard almost brought a tear to my eye.:) Granted these discs will shine on any good system, but the Panny takes the experience to a whole new level.

David Judah

Screenwriter

What I've heard is that the Pannys are more picky when it comes to speakers, which makes sense from what you wrote, and that they have a problem with more reactive ones(like planars & ribbons).

Also, if you read TI's white paper on the chips, they mention that distortion is directly porportional to output impedance and is mostly a problem in the upper frequencies, but they do say that with the recommendations in their application notes that THD shouldn't exceed .15%.

DJ

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
well, tonight is my last final exam, and straight after my friend is coming over with his XR10, and we're just gonna spend the night testing, listening to music, watching movies etc comparing the XR10, XR25, Yamaha RX-V450, and my dad's Luxman seperates system for 2ch audio. (how nerdy am I, first day of winter break, last exam and i stay at home playing with audio gear :D)

Unfortunately after a few days of listening, i dont think Im going to keep the XR25... in my bedroom at least, as my kenwood vintage amp sounds nearly as good with the Minimus 7's in my small room at moderate volumes.

Ill see tonight if the sound changes for HT. Ill compare my friends XR10 to see how IT performs in HT, as maybe a glimpse to see how the XR25 might sound after burn in.

Quick question, does the XR10 support banana plugs for the Front Left/Right speakers?

Ill post up our thoughts :)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Be sure to let us know your findings NickSo. I will wait one more generation for a 7-channel offering w/ the Pure Path Equibit technology, after that I will move the Panny to the bedroom and try one of the new Sony ES digital amps. I heard one today, and they sound great. I'm totally diggin' this digital amp thing.:emoji_thumbsup:

i just hooked up xr-70 and i have to say i'm surpised. i have my 3910 dvd player hooked up by hdwi and it sounded great. before i sell my 3805 i'm going give it a work out.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
OK
my interest is piqued... You guys are really over my head on most of this stuff... A few questions
I notice it has component switching... my Onkyo 6 disc has 6 channel out... will this accomodate??
How will it translate a satellite video/audio feed (non HD)
Right now my 5.1 receiver has lfe management but only in a digital path (via optical input), and my sat. shows (star trek and bsg) don't reproduce well

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
not quite sure what you're asking Kevin G. For component switching, you'll need component inputs on the receiver and in back of your Onkyo. Give us a little more detail w/ your questions.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Well, the component was merely a statement that it handles two component in and has one out...
There were actually two questions...
1. will it take an analog satellite feed and convert to PL or PLII?? and sound ok, (cause I'm kinda disappointed in the sound from my PL now)
The other is kinda cause I'm confused about how this setup is supposed to work.
Some here are touting that they are using it as a power amp??
or am I missing what they are saying completely??
(are they doubling it with their original AVR., or using a power amp along with this model?)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Yes, you can take advantage of PLII w/ great results, and yes, some are using it as a power amp by utilizing the digital out on the receiver and daisy-chaining it to a pre/pro or analog receiver (even though I wouldn't w/ a receiver).

Kevin G.

Second Unit
That's the part I don't get... If it's a pre-amp, what happens, even though you're sending a digital signal originally, you're sending it to an analog amp... Or HT receiver...Then out to your speakers... Isn't that just...analog??
I mean that's what we are doing everyday... The signal is originally digital, (whether from a dvd player or an HD source...), Then converting to analog via our HT receiver.
I'm EXTREMELY interested in this unit, probably the 50, due to funds, and if I could also utilize my existing receiver, I probably would...
But would I gain anything??
Or, are we talking exclusively using this unit as a receiver/amp?? I mean, 100 watts clean digital power has got to be better than an overrated 100 watt HT receiver, yes??
someone turned me on to this thread because I posted that I was searching for an upgrade, and I'm glad they did.
I will probably demo one in the near future

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

I'm a bit later late to the party, but there's something that needs to be corrected.

A Class D amplifier's weren't given that class because it's "digital". D was the next letter of the alphabet (A, B, C were first) to describe an amplifier topology. It is more appropriate to refer to the majority of Class D amplfliers as either "switching output" or "binary state".

Yes, the Panasonics (and other products using the Equibit/Toccata chipsets), the D2Audio modules, and the Sharps are digital, in that they accept a digital signal into the amp stage. The other Class D solutions are analog.

Regardless of whether the amp takes in a digital or analog signal, the speaker jack output is still analog.

Oh, and I have a Panasonic SA-XR25S that I use for my home office to drive the surround system in there.

Cheers,

David Judah

Screenwriter
It's good to make the distinction between analog controlled & digitally controlled Class D because they go about things quite differently, despite some similarities.
True--when the D/A conversion takes place, however, is a key distinction between the two types. I'm still trying to figure out why the little Pannys can sound so good under the right conditions.

I think it has to be because of its immunity to noise(because the DAC is at the end), and/or the lack of negative feedback(simple, clean signal path). Unfortunately, the latter reason can cause other problems, which is why I say they can sound good under the right conditions. As some can attest, they don't work well with some speakers.

It would be nice to see a relatively uncompromised version of the Equibit. Because of the simple design and low cost of parts, even a higher-end design should be able to stay under a grand.

DJ

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
David,

I believe it's the simple fact that the signal is kept in its most robust state (digital) as far along the path as possible.

Cheers,

FeisalK

Screenwriter
That wouldn't account for why the apparently analog-controlled Tripath amps sound good though ;) Lots of rave reviews for the little T-Amp or the heavily modded Clari-T version, or the TEAC Legacy A-L700P. And the Flying Moles and most of the other audiophile digital amps don't take a digital signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks