What's new

Wouldn't it be nice if some of these DVD sites knew film? (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I know I'm being somewhat anal but this irritates me. I just checked out DVD File where they announced 4 new Warner releases for February and referred to them as "mushy romantic dramas". First off, Prince And The Showgirl is a witty comedy about a showgirl on a one night stand with a stuffy European monarch and getting involved with his family life and foreign policy. Hardly a mushy romantic drama. Mrs. Soffel a mushy romantic drama? It's a hard edged film about two murderers on death row who break out of prison by manipulating the warden's wife and taking her with them. Mushy, indeed!
As for the other 2 titles, Love Affair and Love In The Afternoon, depending on your view of your romance I suppose they could qualify as "mushy" although the Gary Cooper-Audrey Hepburn is a romantic comedy
But then this is the same site that originally referred to (bedfore editing it) the Neil Simon-Peter Sellers comedy Murder By Death and the classic Fritz Lang film noir, Big Heat as scraping the bottom of the barrel stuff.
If you're unfamiliar with a film, a quick trip to the IMDb could clue you in before you make inaccurate generalizations, guys.

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
personally, i couldn't give 2 shits. i'm just happy that they report dvd news. if i wanted to know anything about film, then i'll go to imdb.
------------------
signature.jpg

[email protected]

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Well, I do give more than two s's about this kind of thing! I'm into DVDs because I'm into movies. I just subscribed to The Perfect Vision and ordered a whole mess of back issues because that is one of the few "home theater" magazines to seriously discuss the films that come on these shiny little discs we collect.
Although certainly an honest mistake, these mistakes can hurt a site's credibility among folks who know better. Not to mention they can turn people away from movies with which they are unfamiliar but might actually enjoy.
Just my two s's --- er, cents.
wink.gif

------------------
Mike Brantley
Our Theater:
Mike & Cheryl's Screening Room

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
You've got to cut Peter at dvdfile.com some slack. He runs one of the best sites for dvd news and info out there. He can't know everything about every movie. The witty banter doesn't always hit the mark, but he does a hell of a job day to day.
If you want more limited coverage, perhaps focusing more on film, check out one of the hundreds of other great sites out there like http://www.classicsondvd.com/ , www.mondo-digital.com or DVD Savant

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Happy to see other DVD fans bringing this subject to light.
I too am into DVD because I love movies, and get rather tired of some of these sites who seem to think the egg came before the chicken. Further, I don't think you can truly apreciate movies on DVD without a fair knowledge of what aspect ratios films are shot and composed in.
Of course, early this year, dvdfile.com was disapointed that a wide release of Superman would push the DVD date back. Needless to say they were happy when the wide release didn't happen...ugh!
Jim
patriot.gif

------------------

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy dvdfile, hell, it's the first dvd site I started going to. Definately one of the best, and he delivers on time...unlike, say, thedigitalbits.com!
smile.gif
where's that transcript of the dvd producers panel from studio day?
------------------

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I also find some of the reviews at DVDFile lacking in perspective or knowledge of a particular film or genre. Peter's reviews are generally the best but some of the others can be "sloppy" with the facts. Off hand, I remember the review of the DVD "There's No Business Like Show Business" in which the writer referred to the film being based on an Irving Berlin show. It was not. It was a movie specific screenplay. Not a terrible mistake but typical of some that are made from time to time . Perhaps an editor is needed?
I go to the site everyday and enjoy most of the info.
smile.gif

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I hear where you're coming from, Sam, but there does seem to be this dichotomy between those of us who love DVD's because it's an extension of our love of film and those who love DVD's because it's an extension of their love of technology.
When I check out the reviews at DVD File, Digitally Obsessed, Digital Bits, DVD Review etc. I'm just interested in how it looks and sounds, I don't care what the reviewer thinks of it as a movie because I am the one who will decide if a film is good or bad, not somebody else, so an opinion is not important to me in that area.
As Mike pointed out, someone can see DVD file referring to The Big Heat as "bottom of the barrel" or Prince And The Showgirl as "mushy romantic drama" and when they spot it at their local video store, pass on it because they "heard" it was bottom of the barrel or mushy romance.
It's too simplistic to say DVD file=DVD and IMDb=movies. 20th century technology has now made them connected so ideally it would be nice if someone could know both if he's going to talk about them.
[Edited last by Thomas T on October 19, 2001 at 05:56 PM]

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
This posting was not intended to bash DVD File by any stretch of the imagination. I was just using DVD File as an example. Other DVD sites also lack a sense of film savvy or history. If I didn't think DVD File was a good site, I wouldn't be returning to it day after day. To criticize something doesn't negate the many good qualities of DVD File. It's not an all or nothing proposition.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I understand exactly what you're saying and it's driven me nuts ever since I got on the net. Since DVD seems to be the modern way for a lot of people to get their education in film history I think that getting things right is extremely important.
This week's review of FUNNY GIRL is a case in point. The reviewer suggests that the film was probably the first glimpse that mass audiences ever had of Streisand's unique talents. Well, maybe; - if they had somehow missed the eleven albums she released before the film ( some of which hit # 1 on the charts and won Grammy awards ) or ignored her three televison specials that aired before 1968.
While this is indisputably not the most important aspect of what is a very positive review, it probably shouldn't have been mentioned if the writer didn't really know the facts. And please don't suggest that his use of "probably" excuses it.
I shall now retreat into my bunker and prepare for the inevitable flaming. Be gentle !!!!

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
For my money THE BIG HEAT is one of the most potent film noirs ever produced. Personally, I didn't think I'd ever have an excuse to trade in my old Laserdisc.
------------------
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
DVD reviews, news and more...
www.thecinemalaser.com

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
DVDFile is usually the first site on the web to post sneak previews and to report news on upcoming titles. But that is the only information I glean from their site. When it comes to reviews, I skip directly to the "How does it look ?" and "How does it sound ?" sections. It is true that a reviewer who is not too familiar with a particular movie may be unable to make a fair assessment of its picture and sound quality, but so far they haven't been too far off the mark.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Members,
Giving constructive criticism is one thing but let's cut out the name calling like lazy or similar descriptions. I'm keeping this thread open for now but if the discussion becomes nothing more than expressing thoughts like DVDFile or Digital Bits sucks then one of the administrators will close this thread in a New York minute. Also, no links to other sites is allowed! Thank you.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
DVD File is a great site. Sometimes they get their facts wrong. We're all human beings and we all make mistakes. Sometimes they have different opinions then us. Who cares if they do (well maybe except if that opinion comes from Wayne Rowe... that guy really needs a pair of glasses)? It's their opinion, not ours. It's their job just to report DVD news and write reviews. Nothing more, nothing less.
The Digital Bits is just plain lazy. I hardly every check that site anymore.
Oh, just since Bill Hunt has a life, it's their fault that the site is plain lazy? It might not update frequently as most other sites, but with DVD File, it's one of the best DVD sites out there (along with the likes of Horror DVDs, Digitally Obsessed, DVD Shine, DVD Angle, etc).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The odd error here and there really doesn't bother me at all. We all make them...even me. Link Removed
I have to say though, and I'm not naming names, but what does kind of irritate me a little is sites that post email addresses, invite feedback, and then don't respond to inquiries made by email.
Kudos to Jon Mulvany at Criterion and Mike Coate at Widescreen Review (and the guys who run HTF of course) for being great about answering mail! (No, I'm not saying that everyone else is lacking in that area, but just giving credit where due!)
And I realize that sometimes it is a question of time constraints.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
[Edited last by Rain on October 19, 2001 at 09:48 PM]
[Edited last by Rain on October 19, 2001 at 10:03 PM]

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree, Criterion is excelent with answering e-mails, and quick!
Jim
patriot.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks