What's new

Would the SVS be worth the upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so recently I've been hit with a horrible upgrade bug. As a result I've been selling all my old equipment and am left with a Dayton 10" sub, my AV-505 carver amp, and Rotel RSP-980 preamp. I purchased some LSi9s on ebay that I think may never ship (won auction on the 6th of february, paid for them but havent gotten anything). REGARDLESS of that pain in the ass I'll have space constraints of my system being in my bedroom at a desk and used as mainly a CD player as well as my Computer for music/movies. As the 9s may never come I may pick up some LSi7s from a friend after I get my money back.

Here's the question now after all that background info: I listen to a LOT of music, but do like to enjoy the occasional movie, would the money saved from getting 7s instead of 9s be worth putting toward a SVS PB10 for such a small 2.1 system or would it be better saved for something further down the line.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Actually, it would!!! Do a search in this "- Speakers and Subwoofers" section for SVS PB10, ... and read pages, upon pages of interesting SVS PB10 INFO and reviews!

Phil

MikeLi

Supporting Actor

I would not think of it as an upgrade, more of a must have!... You will understand when you get a good sub! I guarantee it... Call Ron down at SVS and give him you room and equip. list. He can set you up with the perfect sub for your room and they will not oversell you. Very nice and professional down to earth folks....

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah he recommended the PB10 the only reason i'm hesitating is that I will be in apartments for many years to come and I might not make any friends with one of those bastards...another thing is that it owuld be cheaper to get an STF-2...its also being takin into consideration

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Once you get a little low frequency high spl timbre LFE flowing through your vains, you'll understand. The PB10-ISD will deliver and it can always be cut back. In some ways I would also expect it to be a little quieter than the STF.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
What do you mean?

The STF-2 comes in a 25 Hz standard tune as opposed to the PB10-ISD 20 Hz tune. The STF could present a little more presence in the higher FR thats all. In the lower FR you can be sure the PB10-ISD will exhibit more presence.

No.

I will tell you however that proper placement of a sub is very important. I have a STF2 (and a STF3 that is tuned to 18 hz.) In my living room which is a lot bigger then your room the STF2 gives you more bass than you would ever want. It is a world class subwoofer. Don't let people fool you that 25Hz is not low enough.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
So would you all agree with Dekany's statement? How often does a movie go into the frequencie's below 20Hz.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor

You would be surprised especially on action type movies. And yes you want to hear and feel those. Having a large room with a PB2+ now called the PB12+ can't beat that feeling as well as the sound....

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Raj,

If all I did was listen to rock music I would leave my sub in its native 25 Hz tune, but there's a dang good reason I run it in the 20 Hz configuration. A picture says a thousand words: Waterfall Charts. I'm not sure how many words are said in that thread, but there's a lot of sub-25 Hz material out there, and Hollywood is putting in more, not less, of it every day.

-Robb

I never said that there is no info below 25Hz.

What I was trying to tell you is that the STF2 with it's 25Hz would be plenty deep. Especially if the sub is placed properly.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Thomas,

I suppose "plenty" is a subjective term. I would guess you'd see useful extension to around 22-23 Hz with the STF2 in a small to mid-sized room (with careful placement). That's not "plenty" enough for me. I don't think it's plenty enough for a lot of people, either, or Hsu wouldn't make so many subwoofers capable of more useful output at lower frequencies.

-Robb

Max F

Second Unit

He can already get to 25hz flat with the Dayton sub.

I would save your money and get something sweeter (maybe a bigger SVS sub than the 10") when you buy a house.

yup!

Save your $$$ for the new VTF2HO that will rival the TN sub.:D Clean down to 16hz out of a 10" woofer.

You can then laugh at the guys that are into subs with 20Hz :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks