would now be a good time for Fox to re-do Lost In Space DVD's?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by DVD S., Mar 31, 2011.

1. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Having tops of heads chopped off is the most distracting thing I've ever noticed in this kind of thing. Not to mention the fact that I fear we can lose part of on-screen graphics centered close to the bottom.

I can "accept" this for programs shot in the 90s when we were entering a transitional period but not for programs of this era.

MatthewA likes this.
  2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I can't believe that they'd be dumb enough to crop a show with a sci-fi fan base but if they're showing 1.78 footage, it sure seems like what they're doing. I guess there's no hope that Fox won't destroy the photography of The X-Files too.

Ugh, why would they pander to people who want to fill their screen when it'll only be fans- who by and large- want the correct photography?

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Thanks! That is fantastic. If its released on Blu-Ray, it would be nice to have the option to watch it 1:33, or 1:78. But even if its widescreen only its still an absolute must buy for me.

MBrousseau likes this.
  4. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    It is no real surprise, coming from the people who have little so regard for the original AR of their archive titles.

5. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Well, they've tried releasing old shows in 1.78 and they never sell, so I'm guessing FOX is smart enough to release it in OAR.

6. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    The model has to be: OAR for DVD/Blu-Ray release, and 1.78:1 for broadcast stations like is done with FRIENDS and SEINFELD. I'm no fan of cropping top and/or bottom to make widescreen, but if they're careful in doing it, an adding in a little side information, I wouldn't mind watching it that way on TV. Just make sure the fans who are buying it aren't disrespected.

Harry

PatrickGoodluck and Walsh61 like this.
  7. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Exactly, Harry. I don't care how it airs on TV, because I don't even watch TV anymore. But they better not think a bluray won't sell unless it's in cropped wide screen. That's a disservice to the fans of classic shows.

Walsh61 likes this.
  8. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    I loved that looney show, I have a couple of DVD box sets, but they do look ropey, so I'd love some remastered HD Blu's. I don't mind if they're 16:9. They filmed TV shows with a lot of headroom in those days & you lost a lot of picture area on a domestic telly, so with 16:9 I'd think you'd only lose a tiny bit of what we saw then, & there'd be a lot more picture info on the sides.

MBrousseau likes this.
  9. MBrousseau

MBrousseau Stunt Coordinator

Martin Brousseau
    Another exciting HD teaser ... in 1:33 ;) From Synthesis Entertainment

10. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    Silly question, but did Fox themselves actually pay for these particular new remasters?

11. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

They were responding on the youtube message board, but they've removed most of the comments. I do believe they said earlier that Sheila Allen paid for these remasters, and I guess they're trying to get FOX to redistribute them.

12. MBrousseau

Martin Brousseau
    The comment about it is still available on Youtube. Kevin Burns said and I quote: "By the way, Sheila Allen and her partners paid to have this done themselves. The cost was enormous and took two years to get it done." ... "We are hoping to convince Fox to re-release LIS for the 50th Anniversary. No plans yet, but they're considering it." ... "These were scanned in such a way as to capture every bit of information- even cables, lights and microphones. Then we used this master to create both 1.33 and 1.78 versions." ... "As for the aspect ratio and other issues, we planned to distribute the 1:78 versions to cable television and VOD but are still debating what version is best on DVD or blu-ray."

13. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    There shouldn't even remotely be a debate. Of course 1.33!

Come on Fox, do not insult your audience.

Walsh61 likes this.
  14. MBrousseau

Martin Brousseau
    Many members here, that are in favor of a 1.33 4X3 ratio, suggested to those who prefer a widescreen version for Lost in Space in blu-ray, to use the zooming control of their 16X9 monitor. If we aply that theory to fit a widescreen TV, there is valuable area of the picture that is lost. I have conceived two examples that shows how much troncated the picture is when we use the zooming to fit 16X9 viewing from 1.33 OAR, compared to the 1:78.1 ratio the Synthesis Entertainment have carefully made from wider original masters.

comparaisonZoomed4X3vsWide.jpg

comparaison2-Zoomed4X3vs Wide.jpg

I am sure the Synthesis have conscientiously adapted the new widescreen framing to make the best of every shots for 16X9 presentation to make sure that we gain more than we lose.