What's new

Would a 400 DVD changer be a good solution for me? (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I have an ATI all in wonder card and use my PC as a video recorded and I record a lot and even with 160GB in my desktop I am constantly moving to deleting files.

Would getting a 400 DVD changer and moving all my recordings to DVD (I already have a DVD writer) be a good solution?

If so, are there any 400 disc changers that play standard format files like mpeg or divx? Or some way to stream the data to a PC and have the PC decode it? This might be asking for a lot, I just want to know if it would be too much trouble to convert my recordings (which are in divx) to put them on DVDs in a way that the DVD changer can play them.

Thanks

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I know there are ways to burn divx to DVD but not sure if a Megachanger would read them.
I believe there is a site called DVDhelp.com (or something similiar) and they have a chart on just about any DVD player and what they will and won't play. Many won't play discs they say they can play.

I have 2 DVD changers and I find them great for keeping discs clean and not scratched. Big piles of discs without cases are not good.
I think a good DVD case where you can store your Divx recordings might be cheaper and will be just as good for freeing up space on your computer.
Grant

John S

Senior HTF Member
I concure.. I have the most problems with people wanting to use VCR/DVD combo units, I have the 2nd most issues with people that want to use DVD changers / jukes...

If I ever come across a changer I feel is truly good, I'll post up a reccomendation.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I'll be buying the Sony CX995V 400 DVD cahnger as soon as it is out, it's miles better than any 400 disc changer available today, and the only way to get nearly 4 terabytes of storage for $399. a hard drive would be the same price for 10% of that capacity, and not to mention much less reliable since it can crash at any time and loose all it's contents.

Until it's out I'll start converting my divx TV recordings to DVD format so they will be able to play on it. It should be out very soon, some say it'll be out at the end of June.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Please post up a review on it when you get it. Lots of people interested....

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Will do, but it might also be a month or more before it's out, no one knows exactly, I'm hoping it will be out soon.

Thanks

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Sacha_C
The San Jose Mercury News had an interesting article on the new 6.0 Divx player today in Technology section I believe.
Talked about playing Divx on DVD players, burning them and how good the quality is.
You might want to check it out, sorry I'd find the link but gotta run.
Grant

LarryM

Auditioning
I'd just get more storage for the PC, or a network attached storage server (~$1/gbyte).

Burning DVDs seems to take 20 minutes each, they're hard to organize, sort, update, and you have to worry about long-term storage for them.

Raid-5 storage, if a disk fails, you can replace it without losing your data.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks