Worth it?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JustinGrimball, Jun 6, 2003.

1. JustinGrimball

You have probably heard this a million times but bear with me. Check out the link in my sig to see what I have, but would it be worth $300 for me to get a TiVo? I have been considering it for a while. Has anyone tried it with comcast digital cable?

I also have that new radio shack 6 in 1 one remote.

2. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Don't walk, run as fast as you can and lay down the 300 smacks and get one.

Just the time you will save skipping comercials will pay for itself in a month.

Spend the extra cheese and get the 2 tuner version.

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

The 2 tuner version only works with DirecTV and is actually cheaper, not "extra cheese". Certainly it's a good choice if you want to switch to satellite & locals via sat are available in your area.

For cable, the standalone version total cost is closer to $550 than $300. (refurbished 80 hr = $250, unit lifetime service fee = $300 for the software+guide updates+future software updates).

But it's absolutely worth it to get near total control of the TV schedule. Expensive, but definitely worth a try. They have 30-day money back on both the unit & sub, but I really doubt you'd want your money back after a few weeks.

4. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

My only regert is that I did not get one (TiVo) sooner.

5. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

Not to steer you in a different direction if you're set on Tivo, but you might want to take a look at the SonicBlue offer on the refurb 5040 ReplayTV that Parker posted about. $329 for a 40-hour ReplayTV, and that includes the lifetime programming subscription (which would otherwise cost $300). The unit is easily DIY upgraded to 200 hours or more by just swapping the disk drive (with a little magic on the PC first).

6. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Worth it? A resounding YES! Once you get a TiVo, you won't know how you got along with out it.

7. JustinGrimball

Can you watch a DVD and record on tivo at the same time?

I have my audio going through my reciver and my video going straight to the tv. How would that work with tv if i switch the audio to dvd while it is recording?

8. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

9. JustinGrimball

I dont have Direct TV. Also how I have it setup it wont mess with the audio of the TiVo?

Thanks.

10. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Connecting your cable box DIRECTLY to a stand-alone TiVo (and then out to A/V receiver) will make it possible to view DVD while recording a program.

Some A/V receivers, however, have a feature that would allow you to record from any source connected to it while viewing another source.....if your receiver doesn't allow this you'll have to go with the aforementioned hook-up.

Vin

11. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

Don't think of the Tivo (or Replay) as a separate video source (like a DVD and a VCR), but as an extension of your cable box. Since you can watch a previously made recording while another channel is recording there's no point in keep the cable & Tivo on separate inputs on the receiver.