What's new

Directors "Worst Movie Ever" Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
ORGY OF THE DEAD, written by Ed Wood and coming to DVD on May 25. A close second would be KILLERS FROM SPACE with Peter Graves.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

I know you have a smiley there, but I'm not quite sure what the point is. Bruce Willis is in 4 movies I love, 9 movies I hate, and a bunch I haven't seen (but have either heard good (Unbreakable) or bad things (e.g., Bonfire of the Vanities) about). But what any of that has to do with Cries & Whispers is beyond me, even in a 'humorous' vein.

I hate Cries & Whispers mostly because of a horrible, incomprehensible screenplay. The antithesis of that isn't a Bruce Willis movie, it's films like The Apartment, Rear Window, Adam's Rib, The Third Man, High Noon, M, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Dr. Strangelove, Double Indemnity, Citizen Kane, Psycho, Stalag 17 or any of hundreds of other well scripted masterpieces.

But hey, I'll admit that I like any of the 13 Bruce Willis films I've seen better than Cries & Whispers, but some have only been a little bit better (e.g., Armageddon), and none, not even the best, are good enough to be in my top 20 (see my sig).

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Rudy & The Shining (Made for TV version)

I can't decide which is worse but they both sucked more than fluffers at the Houston 500.

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
How has no one mentioned Howard the Duck?
Here is my list:
Howard the Duck
North
The Thin Red Line
The Hot Chick
We Were Soldiers
and fresh and really bad: Envy

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

You gotta be kidding me! I think Rudy is one of the greatest sports movies of all time.

I would disagree with Adam W on The Thin Red Line. That movie is a great war movie. JMHO

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
The Blair Witch has to be at the top of my list for worst movies. To be considered a worst movie ever means I either fell asleep in the theater or on my couch while watching or I was so bored I talked through it the whole time ( yes folks I have done this in a theater)

The Blair Witch Project (more pissed off then bored)
Dude Where's My Car (fell asleep)
Snow falling on Cedars(fell asleep in theater)
Abandoned ( Friend and I were only ones in theater and ended up talking to eachother through it because it was that bad)
Bubble Boy (fell asleep)
Star Wars Phantom menace/attack of the clones (dragged to theater and fell asleep)
Moulin Rouge (rented this and pretty much ignored that it was on and talked with my sister, it was so stupid)
Magnolia (pretty much couldn't tell you the plot as I was so transifxed by Cruise's tooth and his bad acting. Fell asleep only to wake up right as it rained frogs)
Congo (Fell asleep in theater)

My list could be longer...

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I love Magnolia. One of my favorite films. Clicks for me just fine.

You want some bad movies, I give you Caligula and Manos the Hands of Fate. Mean, ugly little films that are poorly made to boot.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Hey come on, Caligula is one of the great epics, there's Ben-Hur, Spartacus and than there's Caligula, some great actors in there including Peter O'Toole and John Gielgud, some of the set pieces were required viewing during my school years. Lovely photography... I'll post some screenshots... later, when the mods are asleep.;)

Okay who included one of my favorite 80's films Ferris Bueller's Day Off in their 'worst films ever' list? Let me see... oh dear... first LOTR now Ferris... I give up.:D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Signs (2002)- There is this schlock and then everything else.

Robot Monster (1953)
Con-Air
-----REMOVED-----
Mac and ME
Armageddon
The Rock
Top Gun
Blair Witch Project

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Disney's first non-cartoon movie was a stinker in my opinion, "Black Hole". Or maybe "Attack of the killer Tomatoes? My worst recent movie was "Once upon a time in Mexico" or maybe "Core". What was the one with ringo and rachael. That was bad.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Big budget - Armageddon One of the most mind numbingly offensive films I've ever seen. ( Maybe this should be in the thread about films that offended you. ) It shamelessly panders to its audience, attempts to wring false emotions from the viewer at every turn, and is so blatant and ham-fisted in its manipulation that I loathe the film. I could have overlooked the idiocy of the film's science which is always sacrificed in the name of manipulation, if the film had not attempted to take itself so seriously with its continous, crass emotional entreaties. I hate very few films, but I make an exception for this loud, obnoxious, colossal monstrosity.

After Bad Boys and The Rock I thought that Michael Bay might become one of the preeminent action directors of the '90s and '00s. After Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, and Bad Boys II I've had to reappraise that evaluation.

Low Budget - The Prey - A friend of mine and I used to see (seemingly) every piece of crap horror or action film that hit the theaters during the '80s. This is easily the worst film I've ever seen theatrically.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
My second favorite film, but I guess you want revenge on me for my LOTR stance. :)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian

Not really, While I do not dislike the LOTR films, I don't think they are anything all that special either.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The Blair Witch Project is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time, and is just amazing as far as I'm concerned. I also love The Thin Red Line, and think its one of the best war movies. Happy Birthday to Me is a very fun slasher, and Hellboy is a cool and faithful comic adaptation. Hell, there's several other films you all have listed that I like, but I'm not in the mood to go through them all. Here are some of the worst I've ever seen:

Grim- The all time worst!
Netherworld
Millenium
Jack-O
Uncle Sam
Return of the Living Dead Part II
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Super Mario Bros.
Bulletproof Monk
50 First Dates
Big Daddy
Teen Wolf Too
He Knows You're Alone
Graduation Day

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Disney's first non-cartoon movie was a stinker in my opinion, 'Black Hole'."

Disney's first non-animated-feature was Treasure Island in 1950. The Black Hole came 30 years later.

"Or maybe "Attack of the killer Tomatoes?"

Can a movie that purposefully sets out to be terrible be a failure? AOTKT was never meant to be good, it was meant to be a joke of a movie...therefore, the filmmakers succeeded.

"My worst recent movie was 'Once upon a time in Mexico' or maybe 'Core'. What was the one with ringo and rachael. That was bad."

Caveman? Again, it was intentionally cheesy. For a movie to be truly horrible, it has to be incompetent on all fronts.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
AS has been noted, it is pretty interesting to note the number of posters who equate ‘worst’, with subject matter that offends the poster.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I do think it is reasonable that different people would have different opinions about what makes a film bad. Those who define worst film by horrible production values might have a hard time understanding how a well-produced film could be viewed as worst. But to be fair, it's not really reasonable to expect others to share one's definition of worst. It would be better to explicitly define it.

So if you want to know Worst-made, horribly filmed and laughably acted piece of crap, then of course I wouldn't vote for Cries & Whispers. But on the other hand, it's also perfectly reasonable to view the worst movie ever made as the one in which no amount of great cinematography, or acting or anything else can make up for the biggest waste of two hours ever put on film due to a horrible script which is the epitome of everything wrong with films that put on artistic airs at the cost of having an well scripted story.

Certainly Cries & Whispers is, from a purely technical point of view, light years better than an episode of Gilligan's Island. But as much as I hate Gilligan's Island, I'd rather watch two hours of that than Cries & Whispers. Technical proficiency does not a great film make, nor prevent a film from legitimately being opined as one of the worst ever made.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I don’t disagree George. That is why I stayed well clear of making a value judgment in my comment about the definition of what constitutes ‘worst’.

Though I disagree with your assessment of Cries and Whisper, I actually find that your assessment of the script would be enough to put it in your ‘worst’ category.

I’m always torn as to how to assess films like [I[Birth of a Nation[/i] and Triumph of Will (both under discussion in Movies) that I find to be morally repugnant.

Perhaps enough time has passed for me to judge them on their ‘artistic’ merits, rather than their content. I’m pretty sure that if either were made today, I’d not be so generous.

Perhaps this makes me a bit inconsistent in my evaluation process, but I know myself well enough to know how far I am willing to forego indignation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks