What's new

Worst DVD covers! (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
maybe we need a sticky to let everyone know dvdactive imgs dont work.

you need to post a link to the site.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well if you think about it, this has needed changed to poster art for some time just look at this
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

needs to be changed to this

http://www.impawards.com/1983/strange_brew.html

love that poster, maybe one day WB will re-release a SE with that as the cover

not that it keeps me from making a purchase, but i do think that some of the R2 releases do get better art, Disney animated, for one love that Peter Pan over the US release, i knowe that WB is really good at using poster art, but i like the teaser poster art used for the batman anthology here you compare
with this
roughly the same both work, but the we have this compared to this

or this compared to big difference

and i know the movie is crap but compared to i think the R2 releases look better

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I think the Batman set was really well done, the coverart was nice and represented the films initial logs quite well.

These, however, are quite bad:

Rolando

Screenwriter
I don't remeber any other theatrical posters for Batman other than the teaser poster. However I pretty sure the other movies did use those other poster's in theaters as well.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
You know, I just have to post these even though I mentioned them before because they are in my opinion, exactly what's wrong with studios putting out terrible cover art and making a mess of marketing their films today. They truly exemplify everything that upsets me about bad DVD covers, poorly misrepresenting the films and disgracing the artists that turned out such magnificent and classy one-sheet poster art back in the days when it actually had significance as a selling point. These really do look like budget public domain releases that some untalented schmo photoshopped and strung together to sell on his website, and it's shameful to see of films of this caliber and the names associated, to come from a major studio. These covers truly stink, and I've actually passed on purchasing them multiple times because I was so put off by them!

Here are some comparitive examples of the original theatrical poster art and the new releases issued by Paramount:

http://ca.movieposter.com/poster/b70...y_Valance.html

Truly disastrous!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nice post Marco!!

I like how the ugliest of the actual poster art for those Duke films are 100x better than the actual DVD cover art.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
The only thing worse than lazy photoshop "artwork" is ripoff photoshop artwork. I give you these two images to ponder:

Once again, MGM scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

-Lyle J.P.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

The front cover makes the show come across like as if its a cheesy Indian treasure hunt show. :frowning:

I would stay clear of these three myself.... but these three don't come close to....

... talk about taking the whole "let's shove as many people on the front of this cover as possible" approach.

But to be fair...

That is an awesome cover. Simple but get's the point across that its a bloody affair you are getting on that DVD. :D

Besides, that shot of Sabu is priceless.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
One of the all-time worst packaging designs. Cutout in the shape of Herman's head, you can barely remove it out of the tight slipcase without destroying it. Really a shame.

I'm not a Gallagher fan, but if I were and wanted this set I would have a difficult time finding a copy which hadn't already been damaged before leaving the store -- all due to an incredibly stupid packaging idea.

Not fond of the HBO way of packaging things either. "The Sopranos" all have brilliant cover photography only to be wasted on the "coffin"-style packaging which is not very durable. the first season of "the Munsters" and all of "Oz" are also like this.

The "Good the Bad and the Ugly" Collectors set, although having really slick cover graphics, has one of the most idiotic packaging ideas - a 2-disc set housed in a box with trays adhered to the top and bottom covers.

and this gem - a disc stored in an elaborate tin box - "clunk...clunk...clunk" UGH!!:

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Jeremy St.: I LOVE your response to that Blue Thunder cover! I'm with Joel and the 'Bots on that one.

Who IS that chick in the UE part of the title? That does not look like the gal who played Scheider's girlfriend in the movie.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
I never thought that I'd see the day when a Criterion cover belonged in this thread, but here is Powell and Pressburger's A Canterbury Tale (aka: Nancy Drew and the Case of the Glue Man)

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I just bought Criterion's "The Most Dangerous Game", and think its cover art rivals the worst in this thread. That's Joel McCrea and Fay Wray, by the way.

---------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks