What's new

Worst deals ever.... (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy:

All in the Family:

Season 2: 22.99 Great!

Season 1: 34.99! And its first season has only half the number of episodes because it was a mid-season replacement.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
How about the prices charged for the vast majority of Anime?
Enough to make a grown geek cry.

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
not as terrible as some of the above but...at best buy my friend bought the 2 pack of the Wayne's World movies for 19.99 and wayne's world alone was 22.99. Great deal for my friend though.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Being a collector of Zombie type movies, I bought Lucio Fulci's "Zombie" at Suncoast for $29.99. A couple of months later I saw it at Wal-Mart for $9.99!!! I was bummed but just had to have it when I saw it at Suncoast. So much for impulse buying.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I went to Best Buy to buy my best friend some dvd's for his birthday and one title I wanted to get him was The Blues Brothers. I was AMAZED TO SEE IT FOR $34.95!
So I went on dvd price search.com and found that it is being re-realeased in a month and deepdiscountdvd has it for $9.95 so he will wait to Christmas on that title. But just seeing it for $35.00 blew me away!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Lion King

List Price: CDN$ 3,364.80
Our Price: CDN$ 2,355.36
You Save: CDN$ 1,009.44 (30%)

Yea, but shippings free :emoji_thumbsup:

Brings new meaning to "PLATINUM COLLECTION"!

Good night everybody!:D

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Columbia House is the place go. I wish more people would listen to me. You will not find a better deal.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Columbia House is the place go. I wish more people would listen to me. You will not find a better deal.
Are you being sarcastic?

At CH in Canada you have to shop VERY carefully. In fact, I have a long-time spreadsheet set up to handle all their deal combos. FWIW I ordered 6 expensive discs there today and 6 pre-orders, because it was 2 at 50% off for each full-price, plus 10% off your total order *for today only*. Including pre-orders. You must also order each "2 at 50% off for each full-price" combo *separately*, otherwise they take all the most expensive ones in your whole order as your full-price ones, instead of the most expensive in each 3-disc combo...think about it. Or else you could quit etc., but they are not as casual about that as they are for the CD's. I don't want to screw/rob anybody, just a reasonable or good price. If it weren't for their shipping charges I'd buy a lot more there.

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator
Star Wars Trilogy : The Definitive Collection Laser Disc

$400 bucks Canadian when it was released!!!???

C'mon George...get real!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I just wasn't sure. I know about the quit/join thing etc. Trouble is, in Canada they limit your selection when you join now, and I had a hard time finding my quota the last time (I mean something I wanted), but great for somebody who doesn't have many discs. Used to be you could pick from anything. I guess this is the way they subtly discourage quit/join, at least to people like me who won't even pay a penny for a disc I'll never watch.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Has Columbia House DVD Club gotten better? I remember when I joined my "free" selections ended up being ridiculous after shipping, and that the obligatory purchases plus shipping were pretty costly.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
In Canada, and I think in the U.S. too, the shipping on all discs is free when you rejoin. Also, once you have fulfilled your commitment, you get better deals. The only one IMO worth considering (at least here) is the 50% off ones...happens every 6 weeks or so, good for expensive discs.

The shipping with CH is a sore point with everybody, and ensures they make money if they ship more than 1 disc at once.

I suspect their sales model is collapsing, albeit a bit slower than the music industry's. When everybody has a DVD burner (even an old fart like me has one) and can download a DVD, they'll be in the same boat as when CD burners got cheap. No reason to mail anything to get a movie...a problem for a company that has profits significantly based on shipping charges.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn't know repeat customers got free shipping; I haven't been a member in about two years. I remember that when you joined, for your purchases to count towards your required purchases, they had to cost either $19.95 or $24.95 (I don't remember which) and it frustrated me to pay that much when I saw the same titles in stores for cheaper. Did they change this where any purchase for any price counts?

I'm curious what the current CH deal is; if it's as good as a few people here have hinted, I might have to join up again.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
There's lots of info on this at the DVDTalk forum...worth a trip to find out, a good deal, seems to be a central clearinghouse for the info. They've got it down to a science, plus the best sign-up codes...they let you have 2 memberships per person, so you can run the system for a while.

By "free shipping", I meant just on the rejoining "sign-up" discs, not any subsequent ones you order. Usually you get something in the snail mail about rejoining.

Though they generally base things on disc list price, which I hope nobody anywhere pays, these days they are having things a little more reasonable with discounts for pre-orders that make them competitive with many B&M's. And this new combining pre-orders with the 50% off sales...not bad at all if you plan in advance.

Harping again, but if they only had shipping charges that bore some relation to the actual shipping cost...makes me think of Dell (my computer; their required exorbitant shipping is the "hidden" price difference between them and similar items...many people somehow "don't see" shipping cost).

Hey, this is really OT - from worst deals to not bad deals. I guess it's all basically the same thing though, helping each other to get good deals and to avoid the bad ones.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I don't usually buy DVDs from places like Suncoast,
Borders, FYE or Tower Records because the prices are always
higher than Best Buy or on line stores.

About Columbia House- you can really load up on movies
and get good deals. A few months ago, they wanted me
to re-join and they offered no shipping charges so I
bought 7 DVDs for $28. I just got a DVD for the price
of shipping using the fun cash. Unfortunately you have
to keep track of everything you order from them these
days because their service is getting bad. I've had
to call them about 4 times to get them to ship titles that
I ordered and paid for. :angry:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
The worst deals are Criterion prices in Canada.

The prices have come down a bit lately, where you can get some titles for about $43 or so, but there are many titles that range from $60-$80... and some at around $100.

I don't care what the reasons are, the prices of Criterions in Canada are ridiculous and have to come down alot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks