What's new

Worst album by your favourite artists (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
The one that stands out the most for me, by a long shot, is the last Black Crowes album, Lions. I still can't believe a band whose music I love so much can put out an album this poor. They would have been better off gathering up their b-sides and putting that out instead. Either that or put the band on 'hiatus' a year earlier.

Regards
KrisM

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Kris, good one! I wasn't too crazy about Three Snakes either, but Lions is so bad I had to sell it. Meanwhile, the rest of their catalogue is grade A rock 'n' roll.

KrisM

Second Unit
Mike, I enjoyed Three Snakes, but it was a bit of a disappointment after Southern Harmoney and Amorica(my two favs). I recently made up a Crowes compilation of album tracks and rare tracks on two discs and I think I put one track from Lions on it. Their live album wasn't too great either. I have bootleg shows that would have been better choices for a live album.

Regards
KrisM

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Daniel, just to reiterate, I didn't say I didn't like Beatles for Sale or Joad - they're just my least favorites by those acts. Joad was an especially tough call, as I could have chosen Greetings or Human Touch instead. However, those two have a handful of numbers I REALLY like, whereas Joad falls more into the "I respect it but don't particularly ENJOY it" mode. Very good album, and objectively, it's not Bruce's worst. Subjectively, however, it's my least favorite...

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, I wasn't implying that you didn't like those albums. With The Beatles, there's no such thing as a bad record. As for Tom Joad, the major problem is that the songs begin to sound alike after awhile. Nebraska had distinct tunes to them, which is what made it superior.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I'm not much of a music buyer anymore, so there are few bands that I'll buy whatever they put out. One of those bands is Pearl Jam and the last two albums (Binaural and Riot Act) have been the only two albums that I simply don't care for. The music is ok and well done, but it doesn't grab me at all the way previous PJ albums have. The albums previous to the last two, to me anyways, had a great ratio: 10 great songs and maybe 1 or 2 throwaways. The last two, the ratio has been reversed.

Bruce

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Iron Maiden - The X-Factor
I admit, I've actually grown to kind of liking this one. Well, some of it, at least.
Virtual XI, on the other hand- blech.

Jim_F, I'm just curious, have you heard Tull's post-1979 material? I absolutely adore Tull, but some of the stuff they released that was drenched with synths is just silly (Under Wraps, for example).

Jim_F

Screenwriter
have you heard Tull's post-1979 material?
Not much that I recall. I attended a concert a few years back and the lack of generous record company backing was apparent when contrasted to the mid-70s shows. They used a lot of synthesizer to "fill in" the sound. It was fun to see an old favorite, though.

There have been a few bright spots since War Child, but I stopped buying the albums after that one. At one time (age 15, TAAB) Tull was my absolute favorite band. I still get pangs of embarrassment when I hear Bungle in the Jungle.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Some of the post '79 stuff is magnificent. Broadsword & The Beast? Crest Of A Knave? Roots To Branches? Great albums (I agree though, some serious duffers in there too!)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The Beatles didn't put out any bad records, but this and "Sgt. Pepper's" are the only ones that are showing their age. I prefer the earlier albums over the later ones (I think the White Album has its share of filler).
Funny, though, how even the "filler" would compare quite nicely against any album released in the last decade or so. ;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Some of the post '79 stuff is magnificent. Broadsword & The Beast? Crest Of A Knave? Roots To Branches? Great albums (I agree though, some serious duffers in there too!)
Agreed. I'm still a huge fan, have all their albums, and plan on seeing them this August.

My favorite Tull is what they did right after Warchild. Minstrel, Songs From the Wood, and Heavy Horses are the ones I go back to the most.

NP: Camel, I Can See Your House From Here

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As for Tom Joad, the major problem is that the songs begin to sound alike after awhile. Nebraska had distinct tunes to them, which is what made it superior.
Agreed. Before I got Nebraska, I never thought I'd like it given the format, but the songs do sound distinctly different. That's not the same for Joad overall, though I did start to like the album more after I saw Bruce live in support of it - the songs became more individual after that. Of course, "Youngstown" morphed into something VERY different during the Reunion tour. I'd love to hear Bruce open up other Joad songs like that...

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I just wish someone would get off their lazy ass and do a decent CD of Broadsword & The Beast. The current one sounds like it has (literally) been recorded from a vinyl LP - crackles, distortion and all.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I have to say I'm a bit surprised here. I mean "Magical Mystery Tour" as the Beatles Worst album..Surely you jest. I mean, this album has some of their most popular work (and still good) you had "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" albiet, they were previously singles but putting them on the album didn't hurt. You also have "The Fool on the Hill" "Hello Goodbye" "I am the Walrus" and "All You Need Is Love" Need I Go On? At the very least, all those six songs from one offering made that Blue Album. "Let It Be"? You have "Two of Us" Has to be one of their top 5 underrated songs. You have "Across the Universe" "Get Back" "I've got a Feeling" and the title track itself "Let it Be" And that's the weakest. I would have to agree and say "Beatles for Sale" as the weakest for a couple of reasons. 1. Much of the material were covers, which I know there were alot of at the time with the Beatles, but the ones here, did not have the same energy as a "Twist and Shout" or a "Please Mr. Postman" Plus, I think that album represented an odd point in their career where they were between the Pop and the loviness of their first few albums and the new psycheldia and studio work they were moving towards on albums like revolver and M.M.T.

I saw that someone mentioned "From Genesis to Revelation" as being on the Fringe here, but I think that is a damned good offering from guys who were barely 18 at the time. I would take that album over "Duke" and "Invisible Touch" as well.

Then there's RUSH. Alot of people didn't like the Synth around the "Signals" era. But I also thought that was a pretty stong album. Yes there was alot of synth, but they were still mostly hard at that point as well. The subsequent albums at that point were not as strong. Test fot Echo and Vapor Trails, made an attempt to go heavy, but there was just something missing and they could not recreate what they had on such works as "2112" or "Farewell to Kings"

Pink Floyd....First of all, for shame to the guy who said "Obscured By Clouds" this has got to be their most underrated album." There is some great psycheldia here and is a good precursor to Dark Side. Plus you the the suprisingly upbeat "Free Four" And I can't think of many better Gilmour offerings that Wots..uh The Deal" On the other hand. I will agree with the camp that cites "The Final Cut" as the weakest. I don't care what rhetorical brilliance it has, the music for the most part is pretty dull. Alot of people give Gilmour crap about the albums he turned in after Water's departure, but at least he remained truer to "Pink Floyd" than where Rogers Water's was taking the band, which was basically politically motivated spoken word. He was basically a singing Michael Moore at the time.
Good Day All

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I just wish someone would get off their lazy ass and do a decent CD of Broadsword & The Beast. The current one sounds like it has (literally) been recorded from a vinyl LP - crackles, distortion and all.
Since they're currently in the process of releasing remastered Tull albums, I assume they will.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head...

The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin(I was devasted this came after the great Clouds),...Pink Robots (What happened to these guys:frowning: )
Metallica - Black Album and after (The greatest band in the world becoming mediocre)
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction(RIP is a damn masterpiece and they follow up with this?)
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (My fav band but I hate this album)
Judas Priest (ummm Words cant describe this abortion)
Voivod - Angel Rat

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
This one will affect me negatively for the rest of my life.

Metallica - The Black Album

I haven't enjoyed anything else since this monstrocity of a recording hit the shelves and James pierced his nipples.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks