Sandra Bullock
Last name means a castrated bull.

Andy Dick
Who changes their last name to "Dick?"

Julia Roberts
Just because I can't stand her.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as someone who thinks Vind Diesel is stupid. How vain do you have to be to make you name "Diesel"? Why don't I just change my name to Will Awesome

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Fanny Flagg, Cher, Vanilla Ice, Rip Torn, Wink Martindale, and Soupy Sales. A long time ago I worked with somebody named Bill Greathead. He was a big guy so no one gave him a hard time :D .

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
As long as he doesn't change his first name to Harry or marry someone named Anita.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Fugit's last name is pronounced Few-get.

Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal's last name is pronounced Gill-in-hall.

Kudos to Cees Alon for making me laugh my head off with that comment about a dyke. :)

Worst name for me is Freddie Prinze Jr. and not just because he sucks. His last name to me always sounded kind of like Priss.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I admit to having done it myself, but I've always thought taking the piss out of someone's surname is in slightly bad taste. That's the name he/she was born with, strange and unusual ones are probably "ethnic" (i.e. non-Anglo) and are perfectly ordinary names in the home country.

Of course, this applies only to real names, if an artiste adopts a stupid stage name he/she deserves all the heckling coming their way...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And the other reason is: the person already knows that one (yawn) and even a few that are more funny by far.

Cees

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

I always wondered what the C and the C and the H stood for ever since she did that excellent guest spot in The West Wing's Season 1 episode Celestial Navigation.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Some actors change their name to hide a famous actor-father or actress-mother (some do it the other way around).

I think that the decisions to change one's name into a more favourable one often were made in a very early stage of the person's career, and some may get "trapped": they get more successful and suddenly are stuck with a name that's now less desirable but cannot be changed anymore.

Cees

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Or uncle: Nicolas Coppola became Nicolas Cage.

In a reverse, Emilio Estevez reverted to the real family name that dad Martin Sheen changed. Charlie, on the other hand, didn't bother.

IIRC Natalie Portman uses either her mother's or grandmother's surname to preserve privacy (either her own or her family's); perhaps she attended Harvard under her real name?

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I love names...all kinds of names. The 'worst' ones are really the best ones.

Mare Winningham

Busy Phillips

Dick York (formerly Richard York)

Alan Alda (formerly Alphonse De Abruzzo)

Fatty Arbuckle

Zsa Zsa Gabor ( formerly Sari Gabor)

ZaSu Pitts

Giovanni Ribisi

Kiki Dee (formerly pauline matthews)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

In the 80's, Chow Yun-fat was briefly billed (in English at least) as DONALD Chow Yun-fat. I believe the film was SEVENTH CURSE, and I'm not sure if there were others. Thankfully, by the time he came over here, there was little need to re-attach it to his already famous moniker. Not sure if he still uses Donald for anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks