What's new

World series my indecorous posterior! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In the 1903 universe there exists one world.
In that world. One country plays baseball.
I thought that looked like a new movie preview, and read it with the movie-preview-guy's voice in mind. I was all ready to see the movie, until I realized better. :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Some people just think that if you are going to have a "World Championship" it might be a good idea to have teams from more than one country!
Well, we let the Canadians play, what more do you want?
biggrin.gif

Regards,
Joe

Rob Longmore

Stunt Coordinator
The Cricket world series is contended by, Australia, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, England, Sri Lanka and the west Indies. :) :)
wink.gif

i like the new topic heading :)

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Why are there no women from planets other than Earth in the "Miss Universe" pageant? At least, none that we know of...
------------------
Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict
Ask yourself... what would Ditka do?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Dax, because as far as we know, there are no other women in the universe, and at any rate we haven't been able to contact them? :)
Of course, that sums up how a lot of Americans feel about the rest of the world. :)
/Mike

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
While we on this topic, why are the Toronto Blue Jays playing in the American League? Last time I checked, people in Toronto (at least a vast majority of them) are NOT American! The National League isn't much better. They should just rename these leagues to something more global.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Last time I checked, the Americas, North and South, included Canada.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
why are the Toronto Blue Jays playing in the American League?
Mark,
I'll tell you only if you tell me why Toronto's hockey team is not called the Maple Leaves.
Jon
------------------
"This one goes to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Ken, whenever someone refers to an "American", they aren't referring to people in Canada, or Mexico, but people living in the United States of America. Despite the names of our continents, I still frown upon us Canadians being deemed Americans. It's just a common belief that "Americans" only come from USA, and it's a practice I can handle, but Canadians being "American"? It makes it seem like we have no identity of our own.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Last time I checked, the Americas, North and South, included Canada.
True, but in conversation people from Canada are called Canadians, folks from Brazil called Brazilians and citizens of the United States called "Americans." The latter is standard usage because there is no other short, clear convenient way to designated them. You can't call us "United Statesians" and the alternative is to spell out "Citizen of the United States" - which is hard to fit on a bumper sticker or use in a song lyric. :) And since everybody else on the two continents already has an acceptable descriptive name, we get "American" by default. In such matters it is better to consult common usage and common sense than an atlas. :)
Regards,
Joe

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I realize that citizens of the United States are normally called Americans. If you look in Websters, the second listed definition of "American" is "of or relating to the US". In the context of naming a baseball league, the first definition "of or relating to America (i.e. the continents of the western hemisphere)" seems more apt, and is entirely more appropriate than "National".
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks