What's new

World Series Baseball 2k3 Review (1 Viewer)

Wade Paris

Grip
Yes, the game supports widescreen 16x9, so that the aspect ratio is correct when you use Full mode on a 16x9 display, otherwise stuff would be stretched out horizontally. Hopefully it was kept for the PS2 version as well.

So far, as someone who has been playing High Heat on the PS2 for two years, I really hate the pitching/batting interface. I am trying to get used to it, but I think I might end up bringing the game back and stick with High Heat 2004.

Jack_F

Stunt Coordinator
Could you describe the batter/pitcher interface on High Heat. I thought that High Heat and WSB both used the cursor system and that MVP was the only one to employ a different system...

Do you think that MVP or WSB would prove more accurate a baseball simulator? (meaning, not arcade-style, 20-0 scores...)

I've heard that HH is the best simulator, but I don't think I'm going to get that one, I've heard some bad things about it's graphics...

-Jack

Bruce Berti

Stunt Coordinator
So far I love WSB 2k3!
For some reason though, I had to turn off 720p or else I got no video at all on my Mitsu 65"

Damien

Supporting Actor
I really hate the pitching/batting interface. I am trying to get used to it, but I think I might end up bringing the game back and stick with High Heat 2004.
there is an option to turn of the batting cursor and just use a TIMING interface(not zone like high heat). If IGN is correct, then I suggest turning up the pitch speeds all the way and/or turning off the power meter.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Argh, went to blockbuster looking to rent WSB and or High Heat. All they had was All Star Baseball 2004 so I figured I'd give it a rental. I'm still thinking WSB is gonna be the one for me though.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
World Series Baseball 2k3 does indeed support 720p. I bought this game today and it is so awesome! This is definitely the best sports game I've ever played. The graphics are amazing. I only wish I could afford an HDTV! :angry:

But anyway, this game rocks, everybody should give it a try. You will not be disappointed. This game has lived up to all the hype and more for me. :emoji_thumbsup:

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce,
Mitsubishi HDTV's do not accept 720p. They will not scale it to 1080i. The only inputs they accept are 480i, 480p, and 1080i.

Bruce Berti

Stunt Coordinator
Other impressions:
Love the retro uniforms
Used the legends team with Joe Morgan, who is known for his legendary arm flapping when up to bat, and Sega pegged it perfectly. Wonderful game!

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
After spending some more time with HH yesterday, I've changed my tune a little bit (literally). I've done some tweaking with the tune file and found a happy medium that works for me. I upped the pitchers speeds, the baserunners speeds, the fielders throw speeds and decided to look past the graphics (come on 3DO, it's 2003!!!). Anyways, Im going to stick with HH this year. WSB intrigues me, but the cursor hitting and pitching blows big time and MVP sounds like it's on the right track - I may rent that one.

I'd have to revise my score for HH to 8/10.

Bruce Berti

Stunt Coordinator
Rob-
You can get rid of the cursor by switching from standard batting to timed batting in WSB 2k3. It annoyed me also.

Bruce Berti

Stunt Coordinator
I think it got easier for me because I thought the cursor was a hindrance in seeing the ball come over the plate.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Bruce, does the "timed batting" also get affected by the placement of the bat? In other words, if the pitch is high, do you have to move the bat up to meet it for solid contact?

Wade Paris

Grip
WSB 2K3's Timed Batting is not like HH's batting (Zoned?). From what I have perceived, you can't aim at all in this mode. I like having at least SOME chance of the ball going where I want it.

That being said, after playing a few games of WSB last night, I am starting to get used to the cursor system. I am still getting slaughtered by the computer, but I think I'm making progress.

The franchise mode is just too fun. With good coaches and good scouting I was able to simulate the Devil Rays to AL Champs within 4 seasons. By that time some of my players were asking too much to be resigned so my club suffered a bit the next year.

Bruce Berti

Stunt Coordinator
Rob-
I honestly dont remember if you could maneuver the bat but now youre making me want to go home and play some more!
Let me just say that I am a huge baseball fan and finally there is a game that doesnt let me down. The best thing about it is the adjustability. Also, the homeruns, sometimes one is hit that is a "no doubter", and the camera angle changes to show a majestic shot, while other times a ball is hit deep and it just clears the fence with a chance of stealing it. Thank God you cant play it live or I would have to quit my job.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm waiting to rent WSB2K3 and MVP, but I bought HH2004 and I think if a person really loves Baseball that's the game to get. It does the little things, the nuances of Baseall really well.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up MVP today. After a game, I really like it. Its way to early to tell how much of a sim it is.

The batting/hitting interface may be the best I've played. Its a notch above High Heat and WSB for me so far. Picking pitch locations, then having to execute them add a whole new level to the game. You don't just sit back and watch the pitch, you have to time it, as described above by Cleric7. It makes the game so much more exciting.

The fielding interface is great. I couldn't care less if I had to dive/jump (hated that anyway). Choosing how hard to throw the ball adds another huge element to the game. Gun it with someone, and its off line, throw it average speed, and its more accurate, but slower. Makes a big difference for tags at third and home.

Franchise mode looks great as well. No draft sucks, but it'd probably take more time for EA to figure out how to setup goals for each team within a draft setup. Having goals really adds to the game for me. One goal for Boston is to win 2 Cy Young awards in 10 years. Great.

Graphically, the game strikes me as being better then last years WSB, and looks very good. I can't compare to the other new games. The announcing seems solid as well, and actually has humor in a good way. Its to early to tell on this though.

I haven't seen any of the bugs IGN mentioned. I'm guessing they reviewed the beta, as I'm not seeing complaints anywhere.

Anyway, first impressions are very favorable. The game is just flat out fun so far, and the franchise goals add a lot to it.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
MVP's UI is also very impressive. Its very easy to navigate.

There is an assisted fielding option, that allows the computer to field for you, but then you have control of where to throw the ball. This is great for me, as I don't like fielding, but want to make the throws.

I can't say enough about the pitching. It really draws you into the game. To stay accurate, you don't necessarily want to throw a pitch as hard as possible. There are times though, that you want to reach back and fire a hard fastball, and go for the kill. Two men on, really need a K, you can fire up the pitch meter into the red zone, and if you execute perfectly, you'll get the desired pitch. This of course, may really backfire, just like in real life.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
"What's the final verdict on the 720p support? Is it there or not?"

Yes, there is 720p support. I posted this earlier in the thread. It is not on the box because they added it very late.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
How's the fielding in MVP? Does it switch camera angles in time for hard grounders?

Are you hitting too many hits and homeruns, or does that seem accurate?

How's the pitcher stamina and pitch-type choices? Accurate?

Sorry for all the questions, but this High Heat fan wants to know if there's something else out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks