What's new

World of Warcraft (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I don't have a lot of free time...so, I'm not much of a hardcore gamer. Because of this, I've failed to ever get into the "grind" of an EQ or CoH. Tried 'em for a month and left.

But, I am so hooked on WoW it's crazy! The game is FUN, and you don't have to be hardcore to actually see results/changes in your character. What a well designed game.

I'm on the Silvermoon server (PvE only) with 3 characters! I only experience lag problems at the Ironforge Auction House.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
My friends wanted to play on a PvP server, so that's where I am, but it's getting harder to quest when I have to do it in area where the enemy also has quests, or even worse actually in enemy territory. Level differences enable easy ganking, the game has absolutely no mechanism to punish it or even to discourage it, and there's no shortage of high level assholes who have nothing better to do. The honor system described on page 134 of the manual does not exist at all, therefore the PvP in this game is totally fucked.

It seems Blizzard is considering allowing a server transfer to help balance server populations, and if they make it possible for us to switch over to a PvE server, then my guild is probably going to move.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Sorry you made a bad call by going to a PVP server. I would recommend simply rerolling to a normal server. PVP people are usually serious jerks, and always defend their behavior by simply stating "anything goes, PVP." And technically they're right, which is why you should let them masterb ... er ... play with themselves on their own server.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I agree and that's why I chose a PvE server. Yea, we still get idiots from the "other side" who will follow you around, taunt you, make rude gestures, etc. but for the most part you can just ignore them.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Oh yeah, Wayne... sorry about that again. heh. No, I'm just kidding, I'd avoid PVP at all costs until the supposed honor system is implemented. If they can get it down right, I'm pretty sure you won't have to put up with such jerks in the future. Ganking will merit them with less honor and thus an inability to use certain weapons which require a specific amount of honor to use. Also, if they do enough acts like that, then they'll soon be excluded from even their own race, making them fair game for anyone to kill them. Hopefully this, and the server transferring system will be implemented in due time.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I've heard of gankers trolling the newbie areas on PvE with their PvP flags enabled. They'll take a swing at a newbie even though it won't do anything. But if the newbie swings back out of reflex or inexperience and connects he's PvP enabled, allowing the gank to occur. Once in a while our guild will be around the newb area and if we see this we'll usually gank the ganker.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
If a newbies is ganked because he mistakenly took a swing at a high level enemy, I write that off as a lesson all newbies must learn.

I'm hoping for a transfer to a PvE server. While we don't know yet if they're going to allow PvP-to-PvE transfers, it's looking more and more like they're definitely going to do some transfers. Barring that, I'm hoping the new PvP battlegrounds will draw the attention of many of the gankers who are doing it because there's nothing else to do.

As for the honor system, what you described is what's in the manual, which they've already tried and then completely removed before the end of beta. The most recent descriptions of what they have in mind for an honor system seem to be based entirely on rewards for honorable kills without punishment for dishonorable kills, based on the false premise that the denial of reward is the same as punishment. That doesn't work because once you've done enough ganking that you cannot get whatever the reward is, you might as well keep on ganking because there's no longer a reason to stop.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
there are a few bugs too, that with certian spells or area affect things, you can be drawn into pvp against your will. the wow forums were rampant one week with everyone up in arms about it.

and i like pvp for the most part, i just hate the idiots that think killing someone grey to them (8 levels below or more) is fun, yet wont fight somone equal or higher. i do hope the honor system once done is pretty impressive and fun. when i think pvp, i think of close battles between groups and really working at winning. not having 1 spell dropped on you by a +10 level person and you die 4 seconds later, or 2 hits from someones sword.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
I really need some help from one of you guys.

I am looking for a new job, helpdesk actually, and will be called in next week to meet with the "team". This will be my second interview.

I already know that the every member of the desk is a WOW fanatic and that is all they talk about. I was able to idendify WOW at the first interview, now I need to back it up with something.

I do not have the money to purchase the game at the moment, but became aware of a "Guestpass" that is good for 10 days of play.

Does anyone have one juat sitting around that I could use so I can get somewhat familiar with the game before my interview?

Sorry to ask but I am desperate and it is for a good cause.

Please PM me if you have one to spare.

Thank you.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I can see playing on the PvP servers being inconvientant or frustrating at times, if you solo a great deal. I never really do much without 2-3 friends with me, so while we do occasionally get attacked by groups of horde, it's usually reasonably fair. (we're all 48-52 in levels) and we have a couple level 60 buddies who will help out in a pinch.

When passing through a lowbie contested area (Sun Rock Retreat area, for example, west of the Barrens) I have no problem killing a level 25+ if they follow me or snoop too closely. I will never camp a corpse, or attack them when they have an aggro creature they are fighting, but we are playing as enemies, so why shouldn't I hit one who comes too close? It's the risk they invited when sticking their noses too close to a level 50 Paly at level 25. Just as I avoid encounters with level 60 horde, they should do the same, we all won't wave and walk by, it's part of the game.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoy playing on a pvp server, the added element of danger/rush of fighting an equal level player is great. I haven't been ganked a lot outside of a couple of areas (although it was pretty much expected based on what I've heard of areas like Booty Bay). That and I'm a rogue, which means I'm pretty much on everyone's KOS list, whether I've actually attacked them or not.

I try not to attack unless attacked for the most part, unless I get a little frustrated by a gank, or a group has been camping an area I need to turn in quests and I happen to run into them somewhere else.

Just the other day some idiot human mage and a human priest (2 seperate instances) thought it would be a good idea to attack me when I was in the middle of fighting some higher level mobs. Luckily I found the mage again in Booty Bay, unfortunately for me I decided to attack him in front of a BB guard :). The priest got ganked by higher level horde in the area who saw the incident. Nothing like watching someone get a taste of their own medicine.

I can't wait for battlegrounds to get implemented, that should make PvP a lot more fun. I think having objectives and the ability to get items from PvP will cut down on some of the lowbie ganking and whatnot.

A

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Ddi we ever decide on a server for HTF players. If we have one I have a Ventrilo server for voice communication because I hate to type when I play. I currently play on boulderfist with a few friends of mine and we are always looking for more to join. We tend to play late for east coast though. We usually jump on from 10:00 to 1:00 pacific standard time. East coast might be a little late for some, but if your up at that time look us up.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Picked this game up on Sunday. I was lucky enough to find it at one of the lesser-known videogame stores in my area. Last copy. Last copy of the guide, too which had a rip in one page but what are you going to do?

I'm not going to write a long, lengthy comparison between it and EQ1 and EQ2...at least not now anyway. I have 4 pages of comparison notes already. I've been an EQ1 player since pre-Kunark, and invested enough time in EQ2 to get to level 33. That's not to say that anything I write is going to be baised against WoW because I think it's a gorgeous game.

WoW is a lot of fun, but it's still the same [MMO]RPG grind you'll get from anything from Rogue to Baldur's Gate to EQ: kill, XP, gold, lather, rinse, repeat. What makes WoW so unique is its art design. I really didn't find anything unique about the gameplay itself. You still run from town to town, you still have mobs that attack and some that don't, you still have quests, you still need to eat, you still need to rest, you still get professions, etc. However, it's way that it's presented to you that makes WoW a refreshing change.

The art design looks like a cross between the Flintstones, Disney, and Final Fantasy X (specifially X). Music is gorgeous, opening movie is AMAZING, but the sound effects themselves need work in the spell department. People seem to be quite helpful in the game, but the boards are rampant with BLizzard fanboys who jump at any chance to use intentionally misspelled words like "Teh" and "n00bz" and "l33t" which you don't see nearly as much on the EQ1/2 boards.

In any case, I'm still working on writing something big comparing these games. I played FF XI but found myself fighting the UI too much and I just couldn't take it anymore, so I won't be using it in my comparison.

Mike

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I’m a little late to the party as I only got this game last Thursday. After recommendations from online friends I decided to give it a go. This has to be the most addictive game i've ever played, i've never been all that fond of RPG's in the past let alone an MMORPG so I progress fairly slowly. After playing it for pretty much the entire weekend i'm still only a level 13 Undead Mage (in the Lightbrigner realm) but i'm having a blast just exploring the world.

It really takes that "just a little more and i'll quit" to the extreme, yesterday afternoon I planned on looking around Orgrimmar for a while and ended up over at the Crossroads area for the entire afternoon. The African plains look of that area is great. Took my first bat ride yesterday, that was one of the coolest things i've ever seen in a game. Just a couple of questions though:

What do you guys do when you reach level 60? Is there much to do afterwards? What keeps longevity in the game?

What are the significance of raids? Do they affect the cities in anyway?

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
Well I can't believe it but i actually quit my guild in anger lol. the guy running things made me so mad i told him to go f himself. I'd known these people for 2 years now and his tyranny and dictatornessness just got to me. I am on the lookout for a happy guild.

Kami

Screenwriter
Well...

Let me just say I've abandoned all other gaming for this. I never go on XBL anymore and I just renewed my subscription like a month ago....what a waste. ;)

This is the most addicting game I've ever played. I've tried other MMORPG's in the past and this is the first to draw me in. I'm hooked until WoW 2 comes out.

It's like a second life really. I think about it all day when I'm here at work and play any chance I get. Any shred of free time goes to this.

I am in Shadow Moon PvP server with a 23 dwarf hunter right now.

Can't wait for battlegrounds.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Exactly the same thoughts with me as well, Kami. I haven't gone up many lvl's since my last post because I was away on business for 2 weeks, currently i'm only lvl 22 with the undead mage. So far i've soloed the whole way but i'm now coming across a few quests where i'm going to be forced to group up.

I need to find a better way to make money. I'm always broke and I only try to buy spells that are beneficial. Grinding doesn't bother me that much, but I need to find an area where the rewards match the time put in. Any suggestions for this in horde territory at my current lvl?

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm becoming increasingly annoyed at Blizzard for all of the server problems. If anything, there's more problems now than there was when the game was released. My server, Lightbringer, is one of the 10 or so that always seems to have problems. I don't have much time to play anymore and when I do and can't even log on, it really irritates me. Add to this the fact that my level 48 Paladin can no longer solo effectively since his damage sucks, and I might not be playing much longer. I love WoW but the constant server problems are ruining it for me.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Do you have any Horde characters on Lightbringer, Tim?

I finally experienced downtime on Lightbringer last week when it was down for a couple of days, usually I miss when the servers are offline due to my timezone. Didn't worry me too much because it gave me time to start an alt on another server. I can see why a lot of people are getting increasingly annoyed though.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Nope, no Horde characters. I've thought about starting a Shammy since I enjoyed playing one in beta but the thought of starting new with no money has kept me from doing that. I started a new Tauren Warrior character on Kargath to play while Lightbringer is down and I can't afford to buy anything. My armor and weapon suck and that makes it less enjoyable for me. On Lightbringer my main is also a 260 Blacksmith so I can make a lot of good armor/weapons cheap plus I have about 200G to share.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks