What's new

World Cup Soccer - 2014! (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Scott Merryfield said:
Not looking good for England -- Costa Rica leads Italy 1-0 with less than 30 minutes left.
Costa Rica are playing really well, what a superb headed goal and a penalty that was not given.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Please, oh please let England make it through to the next round. This is too early of an exit even for me.
Have you any idea what it's like living in the UK when England are involved in the World Cup and you're amongst the majority of Brits [yes, you read that correctly] who are not avid football fans? An early exit is a blessed relief as the news media here regain at least some sense of proportion.

With regard to the England - Uruguay match, I deigned to watch the first few minutes of it and switched off. The England team behaved as if they'd trained to attack the opponents' goal, but nobody had told them that the opponents would do the same to them and they'd have to defend. The only surprise in that result was the small margin by which Uruguay won. Perhaps the Uruguay team members were saving their energy for when they played someone good.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was quite surprised that Germany tied with Ghana today. Now team USA can advance to the round of sixteen with a win over Portugal tomorrow.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ockeghem said:
I was quite surprised that Germany tied with Ghana today. Now team USA can advance to the round of sixteen with a win over Portugal tomorrow.
Yeah, i thought Germany were going to get beat, i think the USA will win tonight and Portugal will be going home.

:EDIT: My prediction may have jinxed the USA. :lol: 1-0 to Portugal as i type this.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And that, Michael Bradley, is why you don't stop running hard, even in the 94th minute. That game could easily have been 3-0 USA (Bradley also had the nearly open goal, with the keeper out of the net, and managed to hit the one Portuguese defender who backpedalling and not allowed to use his hands, instead of anywhere else on the 8' X 24' area. He'll see that missed goal in his sleep, as well as regret his ceasing to run after he turned the ball over leading to the brilliant Renaldo assist, if the USA fail to advance.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Walter C said:
Uruguay has gotten into the knockout stage by the skin of their teeth!
Suarez has a dentist's appointment booked, i think he booked it for the same time that Uruguay play their next match, that's okay though as i have a feeling he won't be taking part in that one. Three times bitten, twice shy, hmmm. :lol:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
FoxyMulder said:
Suarez has a dentist's appointment booked, i think he booked it for the same time that Uruguay play their next match, that's okay though as i have a feeling he won't be taking part in that one. Three times bitten, twice shy, hmmm. :lol:
*Talking like McGruff the Crime Dog* - Appointment for taking a bite out of the World Cup :D
And talk about a major heartbreaker for the Ivory Coast.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Walter C said:
And talk about a major heartbreaker for the Ivory Coast.
We were in a local pub eating dinner, and the Ivory Coast - Greece game was being shown. There was one IC fan all dressed up in his country's colors and with a national flag -- he went completely nuts when they tied the game. We got home before the game was over, and after watching them lose on that penalty kick in extra time, I told my wife that fan had to be in tears.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Have you any idea what it's like living in the UK when England are involved in the World Cup and you're amongst the majority of Brits [yes, you read that correctly] who are not avid football fans? An early exit is a blessed relief as the news media here regain at least some sense of proportion.
I spoke too soon. I'd forgotten about Wimbledon, which will now occupy the news instead. Oh joy.

Glad to see that Suarez is perpetuating his role as pantomime villain. I don't know what is more shaming - the biting or the histrionic display afterwards.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
andrew markworthy said:
Glad to see that Suarez is perpetuating his role as pantomime villain. I don't know what is more shaming - the biting or the histrionic display afterwards.
It's not his fault, he saw The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker too many times as a kid, Jaws was his favourite character, i hear he may be invited to screen test for the main part in the re-make of Love At First Bite, his representatives deny this and say he wants a smaller roll, one with some cheese on it.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Suarez has been suspended for 4 months, which will include the rest of this World Cup. The right move, and I'd give credit to FIFA for acting quickly.

Let's go USA!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Walter C said:
Suarez has been suspended for 4 months, which will include the rest of this World Cup. The right move, and I'd give credit to FIFA for acting quickly.
Liverpool should sell him and get some decent money before his value drops, of course if they do that they will need to spend to get at least three new players because Suarez is that good and he almost won them the league last year, without Suarez i think Liverpool will drop back and become a top six team again, it's a dilemma for them, sell a great player for lots of money or hold onto him and lose him for quite a few matches and of course who do you buy to replace him.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also picked Germany. It's funny how happy I was after today's loss compared to Sunday's draw. Belgium is good, but I think the US has a decent shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks