What's new

World at War 30th Anniversary Edition? (1 Viewer)

Christopher D

Second Unit
Does anyone know what (if anything) is different about this release than the previous release? My research hasn't turned up much inormation, but what I have been able to find doesn't suggest that there are any significant differences to this release.

mark*p

Auditioning
I bought it. It should arrive next week. I have not seen the first one. I assume this one was at least as good as if not better..

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
* 8 hours of Bonus Documentaries.
* Gallery of Photos from the Imperial War Museum Collection.
* Narrated by Academy Award winner Laurence Olivier.

More than 30 years after its initial broadcast, THE WORLD AT WAR remains the definitive visual history of World War II. Narrated by Academy Award® winner Laurence Olivier and digitally re-mastered for DVD, this is epic history at its absolute best.

Unsurpassed in depth and scope, its 26 hour-long programs feature an extraordinary collection of newsreel, propaganda, and home-movie footage drawn from the archives of 18 nations, including colo close-ups of Adolf Hitler taken by his mistress, that present an unvarnished perspective of the war's pivotal events. Penetrating interviews with eyewitness participants--from Hitler's secretary to Alger Hiss to ordinary citizens who stood outside the battle lines--add spine-tingling, first-hand accounts to an already unforgettable viewing experience.

Informative and unbiased, THE WORLD AT WAR is the recipient of numerous accolades, including an International Emmy Award®, The National Television Critic's Award® for Best Documentary, and knighthood for its creator, Sir Jeremy Isaacs.

DVD Bonus Features:

8 hours of Bonus Documentaries:

* Making the Series: A 30th Anniversary Retrospective
* Secretary to Hitler
* The Two Deaths of Adolf Hitler
* Warrior
* Hitler's Germany: The People's Community 1933-1939
* Hitler's Germany: Total War 1939-1945
* The Final Solution Parts 1 & 2
* From War to Peace
* Experiences of War
* Gallery of Photos from the Imperial War Museum Collection
* Biographies

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
The original boxed set has the following bonus:
-The Making of "The World at War"
-Secretary to Hitler
-Who Won WWII (a.k.a From War to Peace)
-The Third Reich (a.k.a Hitler's Germany)
-Warrior
-The Two Deaths of Adolf Hitler
-The Final Solution

Also...

Imperial Museum War Gallery
Biographies of Leading Figures
DVD-ROM links

It was 5 double sided discs (I think they're all 18's, but I'm not sure).

This is an incredible set, and should not be missed by anyone with more than a passing interest in WWII. And it looks like the content on both sets is the same, so you may be able to pick up the earlier set at a lower price?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
11 discs worth of over 30 hours of content for only $105 seems very reasonable to me. That's less than $10 per disc.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Marty, I'm guessing much of the bonus content has been updated and subsequently retitled but should still all be in complete if not extended form:

"The Making Of The World At War" would likely have been extended and now branded, "Making the Series: A 30th Anniversary Retrospective"

Secretary to Hitler is still labeled as such.

"Who Won WWII (a.k.a From War to Peace)" - now simply titled "From War To Peace"

"The Third Reich (a.k.a Hitler's Germany)" now updated in 2 parts and aptly retitled "Hitler's Germany: The People's Community 1933-1939" and "Hitler's Germany: Total War 1939-1945".

"Warrior" is still labeled as such, as is "The Two Deaths of Adolf Hitler", and "The Final Solution" - still acknowledged as such also.

"From War to Peace" and "Experiences of War" seem to be new inclusions produced for and exclusive to this 30th anniversary edition, and I'd assume that much of the other feature documentaries also now have significantly longer running and extended sequences too.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
This a great series, well-presented in a superb set.

It's a shame that there is no region 1 edition of The Great War (1964) as it too is astounding and is available Britain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks