What's new

3D World 3D Film Expo III @ Egyptian Theatre (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, I couldn't find this topic anywhere, so here is the info. I went to the first one back in 2003, so the movies I missed but will be seeing are:

The Maze
Phantom of the Rue Morgue
It Came from Outer Space (this I want to see again and again)
The Mad Magician

Here is all the info:

http://3-dfilmexpo.com/

The dates are Sept. 6-15th @ the Egyptian Theatre in beautiful downtown Hollywood!

GregK

Screenwriter
"Bob Furmanek's hard work made these World 3-D Expos possible" - Going from memory here, but that is an almost verbatim quote from World 3-D Film Expo presenter Jeff Joseph.

It really is an amazing thing to see these prints projected the same way they were some sixty years ago. In some cases, they are very rare one of a kind dual 35mm prints, whlle others are brand new dual 35mm prints or DCPs which can often rival or exceed the quality of the original release prints. Sadly, just seeing any of this classic 3-D material shown properly on the big screen is a very tough thing to pull off in this day and age. To say some of these prints will never be shown again is far from a stretch.

Just a few of the titles I'm really looking forward to seeing are HONDO and DRAGONFLY SQUADRON, but in the end it all really is "must see 3-D".

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Bob Furmanek said:
The first Expo was 2003 and I supplied 21 of the 34 features. http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/history-of-the-archive
And thank you so very much for doing so!!! That was one of the highlights of my movie viewing experiences. I remember when they were about to show "Cat Women of the Moon" and said that at one point during the showing they didn't have the left side, so any of the older audience, no, you weren't having a stroke because the left side of the screen went black...a grand time!!!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There are a number of longer slugs in the left side but it is complete.

Sadly, that's the only known print of that side and it's deteriorating with vinegar syndrome. That's why it's not being shown this year.

CAT WOMEN was a bear to sync up because the edge coding on the left/right sides did not always match. I had to do many shots by eye and many of the opticals were out of sync in the original negative. I had to fix those by carefully studying each left/right frame and matching movement to find the frame-accurate sync point. It was a LOT of work!

Wade Williams owns it and has a 35mm element of that side but refuses to strike a new print.

GregK

Screenwriter
Julie Adams (Creature from the Black Lagoon / Wings of the Hawk) and Kathleen Hughes (It Came from Outer Space & The Glass Web) will be making appearances at the third World 3-D Film Expo this September. And for the 1983 JAWS 3-D Expo III showing - Lou Gossett Jr.

Kathleen Hughes in THE GLASS WEB
View attachment 2449

Julie Adams in CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON
View attachment 2450

Lou Gossett Jr. in JAWS 3-D
View attachment 2451

GregK

Screenwriter
More guests to appear at World 3-D Film Expo III

Actress PIPER LAURIE In-Person with the rarely-screened Western Noir DANGEROUS MISSION on Tuesday, Sept. 10th

Actress BARBARA RUSH In-Person (schedule permitting) with the classic sci-fi thriller IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE on Friday, Sept. 13th

Executive Producer WALTER MIRISCH of the Mirisch Corp. (IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, the PINK PANTHER films, WEST SIDE STORY) In-Person with William Cameron Menzies's Gothic Horror THE MAZE, on Sat., Sept. 7th

GregK

Screenwriter
More guest for the JAWS 3-D showing were just announced:

Actress LEA THOMPSON (Back To The Future) In-Person with a new digital transfer of JAWS 3-D on Sat., Sept. 7th at 9:45 PM -- along with actors Louis Gossett Jr. and Bess Armstrong, director Joe Alves and other cast & crew

As well as for ROBOT MONSTER. Btw: the dual 35mm print being shown at the Egyptian was one discovered by Bob Furmanek, and to date is the only 3-D print of this title known to be in essentially start to finish 3-D, unlike the Wade Williams version used for home video which goes flat numerous times throughout the feature, including the opening credits.

Actress CLAUDIA BARRETT In-Person with the deranged science-fiction/creature film ROBOT MONSTER &

Actor GREGORY MOFFETT In-Person with ROBOT MONSTER on Sat., September 14th at 3:30 PM - !!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I just swiped my card at the dentist's office. Had to pay the entire bill all at once or he wouldn't have done the surgery and I'd still be in a screaming pain. Dentists charge more money for a half-hour's work than most people earn in a month. Or two months. Sonsabitches. Jeez the cost of healthcare is beyond comprehension. There go my savings to pay for the Expo. My attendance is now extremely doubtful. But I'm going to try because Hondo and Dragonfly Squadron are playing and I have many questions for Mr. Mirisch. I attended every screening of the previous Expos.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The price of a festival pass has gone up to $399 this year. I paid it. At the previous Expos the price of a festival pass included a souvenir book cataloging each film, but this year, nothing. Commemorative posters were available for $20, but this year, there will be no poster. At the previous Expos, passes & tickets were mailed to those who wanted them mailed, but this year, passes and tickets can only be picked up at Will Call one hour before the start of the show which means that, once again, there will be chaos on the line that formed early because people will have to give up their place in line in order to pick up their passes & tickets.

I hope Subacat will show a little mercy with the long lines this year.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
This flyer was put into circulation around L.A. last week. Click the scans to enlarge. The top page scanned in four parts:

img140.jpg

img141.jpg

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
img142.jpg

img143.jpg

Click on each scan to enlarge.
My thanks to Dennis Bartok for sending the flyer.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
So, the Egyptian will project The French Line, Inferno, Second Chance and Money From Home in original 3-strip Technicolor / dye-transfer prints. Three strips of film going through each projector. You don't see that everyday.

Kiss Me Kate and It Came From Outer Space will be heard in the original stereophonic sound. Wonderful films, immensely entertaining.

I'm especially looking forward to the premieres. Hondo 3-D had two trade screenings in 2006 -- or was it 2007 -- but so far as I know this is the first time the public will be able to see Hondo 3-D since 1953. You can bet the line will form early for this one. I'm also looking forward to the European 3-D 1935-1953 clip show and lecture, the Russian version of Robinson Crusoe from 1947, and Dragonfly Squadron.

The first weekend of screenings, from Hondo 3-D on Friday through Dial M For Murder on Sunday night, will be digitally projections courtesy of Real-D. I'm a bit apprehensive about Real-D. I remember when Hondo 3-D was screened digitally it was through active shutter glasses that had a peculiar red bias and a softened texture. So digital 3-D conversions have a lot to prove to my eyes. I hope SubaCat will be able to persuade the Wayne family to introduce the film; I met Gretchen Wayne at the Academy screening and exchanged a few words with her. The rest of the family was there. Audiences love to see this charismatic family.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Todd, adjoining the theater and sharing its courtyard is the Pig 'n Whistlehttp://pignwhistlehollywood.com/the 1920s saloon in front of which Mr. Mulwray got into an argument with Mr. Cross. Here you can enjoy an Albacore tuna melt and wash it down with a Tom Collins with lime. I plan to do exactly that on September 12 before going in to see I THE JURY and INFERNO.Both films are masterpieces of stereoscopic photography.

GregK

Screenwriter
Given the remastered version of HOUSE OF WAX is due out soon, Expo III will quite likely be the last public dual strip 35mm showing of WAX. After that, I'm guessing a DCP version will take over, just as it has been the case for CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, DIAL M FOR MURDER, and HONDO.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Read-D will be projecting the entire first weekend in DCP's. So the DCP versions have already taken over. The films being shown in DCP are:

Friday September 6:
Hondo
House of Wax

Saturday September 7
The Maze
Eurpean 3-D Cinema 1935-54 clips and lecture
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Jaws 3

Sunday, September 8
3-D cartoons
Robinson Crusoe
Miss Sadie Thompson
Dial M For Muder
The Stewardeses

After that, the Expo returns to double-interlock 3-D on Monday.

The American Cinematheque gives the HOUSE OF WAX 3-D blu-ray a big-send off across town at the Aero Theater on October 2. That will also be the DLP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks