What's new

Word isn't allowing single spacing (1 Viewer)

Brent_H

Second Unit
I figured out how to fix it, but whenever I open up a new document in Word, it seems like everything is double-spaced. When I got to Format>Paragraph, Single spacing is the default, and is on. However, in the Spacing section, it has 'Before' and 'After' spacing. It's set to '10 pt' in the after section. When put to zero, it's fixed.

I put the spacing to zero, closed Word, reopened, and it was back to 10 pt. My Mom's Word on her iMac does the same thing, and she's half a country away.

Weird.

Any ideas?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had the same problem the first time I used WORD on Mac.

Simply went to the little side toolbar and under the "alignment" or "style"
tab is a selection for single spacing.

Brent_H

Second Unit
the thing is, it's already set at single spacing. it's the "spacing" in the "after" field that's defaulting to 10 pt.

I'm not sure a reinstall will do it.... I can try. But the fact my Mom's Word is doing the same thing 1000 miles away is weird.

Brent_H

Second Unit
thanks Radioman. I'll try it out and see if it sticks.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Brent,

I've been trying (admittedly, not very hard) to solve this for months. It simply won't accept the defaults I set.

Another setting that drives me nuts: The don't add space between paragraphs box is unchecked by default. I can't figure a way to leave that checked.

I'm certain a re-install will not change anything.

I have a feeling you're using Word 2007?

Jon

Edit: Problem fixed, I believe. I followed these steps found within Radioman's link (thanks, Radio):

Right clicked on the Normal style, selected Modify, hit the Format button, select Paragraph and change the After Spacing to 0 point and the Line Spacing to single. Hit OK then select "New Documents based on this Template".

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Holy hell, I was feeling about useless in this thread. :laugh: I hope that actually does help. This was an ongoing problem with me for years. But I was of the "not very hard" level of trying as well.

Brent_H

Second Unit
ok, now that I got around to trying it out, I realize I have Word 2008 and there is no option for "new documents based on this template" as far as I can tell.

Back to the drawing board...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks