What's new

WOOT Deal on Onkyo 7.1CH 3D Ready Home Theater System (1 Viewer)

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Hoping for some quick answers about this system and whether it is worth the purchase. Seems like a great deal and my receiver (5.1) and speakers are several years old. Haven't quite made the move to a 3D display yet but will probably be in my future soon. Thanks for any advice. Colin

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
That's really a pretty good deal. Onkyo systems are preferred because they offer expandability. The speakers are always the weak point, but they will suffice until you decide to upgrade. This system at least has a 10" powered sub, offers analog to HDMI upconversion in case you have some older, non-HDMI sources. I think this system would be a pretty good way to spend $500.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Amazon has the Onkyo 5500 system for $350. What the 5500 is missing compared to the 8409:
- 5500 lacks floorstanding speakers (depends if this is a big deal to you)
- 5500 lacks THX certification (not a big deal)
- 5500 lacks analog to HDMI upconversion (only a big deal if you have non-HDMI sources you want to use)
- 5500 lacks network capability (streaming Pandora, Sirius/XM, etc. only you know if this is important)
- 5500 lacks powered Zone 2 capability (so you can run separate speakers in another room)
Finally, the 8409 offers a slightly higher end remote control, and glitzy on-screen interface.
The 8409 definitely offers some "power user" type features which help make this such a good deal. However, if the features aren't really on your radar, the 5500 is another appealing option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks