What's new

Woody collection #2 is coming! (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
From the bits:

Finally, Universal has set The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection: Volume 2 for DVD release on 4/15 (SRP $39.98). The 3-disc set will feature some 75 remastered shorts plus "rare vintage bonus features from the Walter Lantz archive." These will include 12 behind-the-scenes featurettes (Creating Woody Woodpecker, Timing a Cartoon, Character Movement, Photographing Animation Cels, The Animator's Job, Using Backgrounds, The Inking Department, The Painting Department, Drawing with Walter Lantz, Sound Effects in Cartoons, Storyboarding Woody Woodpecker and Creating New Characters), 2 TV pilot episodes (The Secret Weapon and Jungle Medics), and episode 47 of The Woody Woodpecker Show.

Plllllleeeeeaase let it have Bunco Busters!

If anyone has a link to the official press release please let me kno!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Wikipedia sez:
The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection Vol. 2, which will include the next forty-five Woody cartoons - Termites from Mars through Jittery Jester - is scheduled to be released April 15, 2008."

DVD times has info on extras but not the content:
DVD Times - Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection Vol.2 in April

Amazon page:
Amazon.com: Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection: Volume 2: DVD: Woody Woodpecker & Friends Classic Cartoon Collect

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nice! I say that having not watched the other one yet, I still have a disc of Popey to get through :P

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I picked up the Woody Woodpecker and Friends Volume 2 yesterday. As with Volume 1, the transfers of most of the Woody cartoons are in great shape and some of the older non Woody cartoons are very acceptable. I was pleasantly surprised with the non-pc cartoons that were included. I guess I am old enough to remember some of them on TV in the late 50’s and enjoyed seeing them again. I can certainly say that WB could learn a lesson from Universal. The two Tom and Jerry cartoons they left off their last volume cannot come close to being as non-pc as three of the musical cartoons. I applaud Universal for releasing these cartoons, they are witty and entertaining and do not need to be locked up in some vault. By seeing them, they can also teach the wrongs that were populated in the past. I can only hope that “Scrub Me Mama, With a Boogie Beat” cannot be far behind. One other interesting note in that I found this at Best Buy where they had a dozen copies. I found it interesting that Sony had problems distributing the Three Stooges complete volumes and appear to be disappointed with the sales of the first volume and they did not even have one copy at a Best Buy. Could that have been the reason for the low sales?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
All ready through the first disc, and this is another fine release, I applaud Universal for filling out another well rounded set, and look forward to volume #3, the marketing for this has been very good not great but the fact mentioned as it being placed in new release at Best Buy, well they have done some exclusives with Universal in the past, so maybe that is part of the deal. As a matter of fact in the place I shop, Military Exchange it was treated the same, its in the new releases, and what was not in that group was not with children’s programming, or TV on DVD , but Box Sets!

Now I have to ask why is this in the TV section, why is it that if any animation that is not either LTGC or the Popeye sets as of late get treated as an inferior medium, these are theatrical shorts, I know that some of the bonus material is from the TV show, and that is the way that most people will remember it. But in showing my age I can actually remember seeing these at the drive-in prior to watching some movie that I probably fell asleep to, in early childhood.

As for Sony/Columbia and the next Volume of Three Stooges, I am waiting to pick that up as well, but other that this forum, or possibly TCM or Maltin mentioning something about it on Reelz Channel. How much market push will it really get? Sony needs to work on getting the many PD crap sets out of the market as possible, especially if the material that is on them is not in the Public Domain to begin with.

And as for the Unedited, uncensored, material, that is my biggest problem with the Tom and Jerry sets. And the fact that they are my favorite characters really bothers me even more. Bravo to Universal, for showing the material as it was original presented, short warning in the beginning, then nuff said. For those on the fence about this release, my advice is jump for it.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
far as the Stooges go, it's not the PD titles that flooded that market as much as Sony's nearly two dozen haphazard collections that provided five Stooges shorts of various transfer quality for a top dollar price. They should have done it right the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks