What's new

Wonder Woman (2017) (1 Viewer)

CoreyII

Second Unit
I just couldn't resist this thread. I've been collecting comic books since 1984, so here goes my 2 cents worth.

1.) You people do this everytime a post comes up about a potential super-hero film, you start naming off a bunch of well known actors or actress who you think can play the part. Haven't any of you learned by now that well known actors and actresses are not the best choice for comic book characters. Just look at how bad the Batman films and Daredevil are for an example. Then look at how much better Superman, Spider-Man, and the X-Men are. Now Blade is an exception to the rule because you're dealing with a relatively unknown comic book character. X-Men barely gets by in my book because and an uknnown actor was chosen to play Wolverine, but I still think the X-Men could have been casted much better. No one had ever heard of Christopher Reeve before Supes and Tobey Maguire wasn't all that famous before Spidey. The bottom line is, you need a relatively unknown actress to play Wonder Woman(Diana of Thymescera).

2.) For this movie to work they are going to need not only some one who is familiar with Greek culture and mythology but someone who is going to write a screenplay with Wonder Woman being a hero for everyone not just little girls. What I'm trying to say is the last thing I want to see on the silver screen is some Politically Correct superhero film that is trying to cram girl power down my throat, I got enough of the sh** from Joss Whedon. I don't mind a strong female hero, I just don't want to see Warner Bros. make a film were all the villains are men and you only see Wonder Woman beating up men. Women are just as capable of being dibolical and evil as men. The whole girl power angle was one of the problems I had with George Perez's run on the Wonder Woman comic back in the late eighties.

3.) The film needs to really address her Amazonian heritage and her audacity to come into another culture and assume that it can benefit from her Amazonian ways. Unlike her Justice League counterparts Superman, the Bat-Man, and the Flash, I've always found Wonder Woman to be somewhat concieted and arrogant.

She comes from a sheltered and pampered life off the island of Themyscera (or Themyscira) to the rest of the rest of the earth or what the Amazons call Patriarch's World and tells the world that we can benefit from the Amazons's way of lifestyle, a lifestyle that rejects an entire gender. Anyway I find these characteristics about her quite interesting and in the hands of the right screenwriter could be explored very well in a movie.

4.) Judging by Warner Bros. handling of the Bat-Man films and the Superman films after the first one I not expecting much from a Wonder Woman movie.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
My only problem with Laeta Kalogridis is how much she screwed up Birds of Prey. If she stays truer to the comic (unlike Birds) she could do a good job.
WB has the amazingly bad habit of continuing to use people that have proven ill-suited to material (A. Goldsman anyone?) while at the same time alienating and disenfranching people who DO have a good handle on translation of this material to other mediums (Dini, Timm, etc).

merit accounts for far less than company politics, and the 'buddy system' over at the WB i guess.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
SMG is too petite for this role, I would be so ticked off...

We need a nice healthy thick beautiful sexy woman.
Lucy L. seems perfect to me.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Alex, umm yeah, she could be WW. In fact, she could just damn well be whomever she wanted to be, and I'd watch.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Mmmmm...Oh, me too. I'd post a link to a gallery I found but some of the photos might not be quite appropriate.

The beauty of it is, she can actually act too. I loved her as the villainess Electra in The World is Not Enough. She was good in Braveheart too.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Hold an open casting call, and make sure the casting agents have a nice, big, poster of Wonder Woman in the room to make reference to. They can make use of Alex Ross' elegant and lifelike portrait,

Hell, have a few of the comic book writers & artists sit in the room during the casting calls. Make sure there's a concensus on the decision, not some rogue producer (*cough cough* john peters *cough cogh*) calling the shots and rubber stamping the decisions.

The last thing we want to see in the movie is some giant spider trying to claw off Diana's boustier! (or do we? :D)

Seriously, if a candidate can't be found, then it's better to wait on the project that force-fit someone into the role and come out with a crappy product. Don't kill a franchise before it has a chance to blossom.

Moe.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I'm gonna vote for an "unknown" too. Find someone fresh and young and create a great franchise around them.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah, one other thing. We don't necessarily need a Silicon-Sally (i.e. a woman with more cosmetic surgery than Michael Jackson), just someone believable who can act.

Leave the glam-model-booty-licious crap to the J.Lo videos.

Moe.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
One shot had WW flying, WITHOUT the invisible plane!! She was able to actually put her arms out and fly (think of feminine Superman flight. . . much more wrist).
Wonder Woman has had the ability to fly in the comic books (as well as on the Justice League cartoon) for quite some time now. The "invisible plane" concept is old, somewhat outdated, and INCREDIBLY cheesy! If you want to introduce a high level of Batman & Robin'esque camp, then go ahead and include an invisible plane. Hell, hire Akira Goldsmith to write the script, and Joel Schumacher to direct... one thing's for sure, I won't be watching.

Let's try and go with the modern versions of the characters, instead of some 70's throwback nostalgia whoring with cheesy concepts like invisible planes.

Moe.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I like the way they made WW travel in the oversized Alex Ross book,with the portals.

You can see samples from that book at Alexrossart.com.Go to art gallery,archives,oversized novels,its on the last line at the bottom.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I think Charisma Carpenter would be a pretty great choice. She has the Wonder Woman look and she is also pretty young (33) so sequels are not out of the question.
Yes... I like this.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Charisma would be good. My wife recommended Angie Harmon, who I also think could pull it off.

Any actresses out there willing to hit the gym for a while? WW isn't a bodybuilder, but she's quite a bit more muscular than a swimsuit model or the typical Hollywood starlet.

It'll be tough replacing Lynda Carter...she was awesome!

Take care,
Chuck

P.S. She was using the invisible plane in that Alex Ross book...it just looked like portals :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks