What's new

Women, SUV's, and Cell Phones. (1 Viewer)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
You know alot of people claim they use their SUV's for hauling and stuff. Well then maybe car companies need to bring back the station wagon. (and not in the form of a giant jacked up one=SUV). Like Fords' Freestyle.
But I think that this...

is what most people are thinking when they buy the suv's. Plus the "I'm higher than you, and I can do what I want because of it", mentabolism.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Spot-on. Indeed, for any large car (e.g. Mercedes S-Class), or high performance sports car. After all, our motorcycle licences here are split into 3 levels, you start at the bottom and work your way up (below 200cc, 200-400cc, then unlimited), why not have a "starter driver's licence" that allows you to drive a modest sedan with, as an arbitrary measure, an engine capacity of no more than 2 litres, and after a year or two, you're then entitled to attempt the test (on a big car) that allows you to drive the next category of car? This way, you earn the right to drive big or high performance cars both through experience, as well as proving you can handle it in a test.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about everyone else, but I started driving in the late 80's and it was a pretty scary time. The only cars my friends could afford were the big/old 70's boats. The ones that had the MASSIVE V8's!!! It was insane! Everyone seemed to have this giant/powerful car that they didn't have the expereience to drive.

One of my friends had an old Duster (I think that was the name). It was a modest sized car, but it had this V8 engine that made the car VERY fast. My friend loved this fact and there were a lot of scary time when she'd lose control of it. :rolleyes

The thing now is, if they ever start to slowly decrease the size of these giant SUV's, soon (if not already) most new teen drivers will be getting these gaint SUV hand-me downs. Pretty scary!

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
My first car when I was 17 was a 1969 Caddy Coupe Deville. This thing was just a beast and I mean Beast. 472 under the hood with a Holley 750 CFM carb. No cats ( it was a 69 I didnt have to have them. ) 12 Bolt Posi rearend this was just a sick car. I remeber Driving home one night doing well over 100 and it just flaoted down the highway. I got about 6 feet per gallon just kidding I got about 8-9 MPG Thank God gas was 89 cents at the time.

It was Big Real Big I could fit 4 people in the back without them Crushing each other and I could lie down in the trunk ( I was over 6 feet then) My Friends Called it Sherman's TANK:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D

I remember driving home one day and i was dropping off a friend. I was taking a left and this car behind me wanted to pass me on the left. I had no Idea we were hit, infact I thought I hit a pothole. Well their car was just ruined the whole side was just crushed. Me i had a little dent.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Story #1

I pull up to a stop sign and flip on my blinker to turn right. Im just about to turn when a vehicle quickly squeezes between my and the curb, on my right hand side. I have to hit the brakes and abort my turn, andlet the vehicle make its turn. I pull out behind them. It was a WOMAN IN AN SUV ON HER CELL PHONE. At the next light, I let her know how I felt. She was oblivious to anything she had done.

Story #2

Once again, a right turn! I had just turned right and was proceeding down a road with a 45 MPH limit. Its a 2 lane road with a center turn lane. The vehicle behind closed up on me quick, easily doing 60 MPH plus. Suddenly, they decide the center turning lane is there for their passing leisure. Once again, at the next light I let a WOMAN IN A SUV know how I felt.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member

That is pretty damn horrifying. On the other hand, I would bet that their insurance premiums would be astronomical - it would be cheaper to sell the SUV and buy a NEW one instead.

At least when teens get the 1970's beater monster cars, the mileage is so poor and the acceleration (for most of them) is so slow they can't afford to drive like an idiot as much of the time as the SUV drivers.

Now that I think about it, drivers of these beater cars tend to drive a little slow and are rarely reckless, even though they weigh more than a typical SUV. I guess if you can only afford a beater you can't afford to smash it up and pay the increased insurance premiums. And with the price of gas with the low mileage of a beater, you don't want to floor it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks