What's new

Women, SUV's, and Cell Phones. (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The traffic in south western CT is enough to make anyone angry. Just like driving in Manhatten. This area is a "wound up" area. There's no such thing as being 'laid back' - that's why everyone is in such a rush and why everyone has road rage.

I realize the only solution is to leave the area (which I'm not), so it's really hard to just ignore it.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Read some of the locations of where people in this thread agreeing with me live. Tommy G just above drives it what appears to be the same area. Holadem also lives in the same "vicinity" it appears and if you think Scott and Todd H have any less easier of a commute being in Northern Virginia you are crazy.

It appears your "no such thing about laid back in your area" is false. It's not the environment, it's the person.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
When I drive to and from work its way past rush hour. Im on the road at 10am there is no stop and go or Bumper to Bumper. Most of the time the Hway is wide open. What gets me is that some of these people No matter what they are driving just dont get the hell out of my way. WHY? if someone is going faster than you get out of the way end of story. what is so hard about that.

My last Job I worked 18 Miles away from work and had to be there at 9. I had to leave my house at 7:30 :angry: then I would leave around 5 sometimes 6 and get home around 7 maybe 7:30. Now I work 32 miles away I have to be to work by 10:45 so I leave at 10 maybe 10:15. Im out at 8 and home by 8:30.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Compared with the others in this thread? Touched a raw nerve because you have an SUV whose heaviest work load is bringing home the groceries? The remark was intended as a sarcastic comment. SUVs are fine if you live in a rural area where you need that sort of grunt in bad road conditions or you need to combine a normal car with regular heavy baggage hauling. But we live in a world of finite resources, and in this climate (in more than one sense) there's no more room for gas guzzling autos if there's no practical justification. And gas guzzling autos that pose an increased threat to other drivers just compound the problem.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

I think you'll find that some people (not myself) feel that if they are doing say 65 in a 55 in the left lane, which is already over the limit, they don't feel they need to get out fo the way for someone going 80, because that person doing 80 is flauting the law in there eyes. I know people who think like this.

Personally, If I'm doing my usual 70-75 in the left lane, and I see someone coming up, I'll always move to the right unless doing so would put me behind someone doing 60 or less. The way I see it, I'd rather not have someone riding me, and if they speed ahead, it's much more likely they'll get tagged for speeding than I will.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm just amazed at the sheer number of people who use cell phones now compared to a few years ago. I'd say probably 1 in 3 cars I see, the person is on the cell phone. A few years ago seeing a person on a cell phone in these parts was a novelty.

I don't take note on whether that person is driving an SUV or not, mind you. ;) But I do often wonder what everyone is talking about. I mean, what's so important that you can't wait to get home?

But, they don't bother me. And asshole drivers don't bother me too much either... if someone's tailgating me, I'll move over and usually give them a thumbs-up as they blow buy me -letting them know how cool I think they are for their aggressive driving style. :D

Life's too short, man. Relax.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Life's too short to worry about OAR on DVD. It's only video!

Life's too short to worry about the damn rear channels on the Star Wars DVD's. It's only a movie!

Life's too short to worry about people yelling on cell phones. It's only a conversation!

Let's see how well that goes over. ;)

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

I work in Manhattan. The whole city actually walks much more than it drives. And as bad as driving is, walking can get just as intense. You bow your head and bull-charge -- because everybody else does. Those who don't get "trampled." With just cause too!

And a POX on those who engage in that little side-step face-to-face indecision dance!!!:angry:

GET THE F**K OUT OF MY WAY!!!

Whenever I go to a less intense place (which is every place?!), I have to force myself to calm down because there is NO SUCH THING as being "laid back" in NYC!

ARGH!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member

It's both! Heck, scientists have pretty much concluded that how a person turns out is, at most, 50% genetics, 50% environment. And lately, I'm hearing 50% genetic, 40% environment, and 10% "other". What the hell is other? The scientists don't know - chaos/quantum mechanical influence? Pure chance?

Paul, I think just like you do:

"At the light, should I get behind the garbage truck with no one in front of it, or should I line up behind the 2 SUVs, the minivan, and the Civic? Hmmm. I'll take a chance that the garbage truck is empty and go behind that". Sometimes, this works, and I beat them all, because the person at the head of the other lane is a joe-blow with a cell phone and a toddler in the back seat. :D

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

Thank you for explaining that to us.
And all cars with more than 90hp are fine if you live near the autobahn....

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If anything comes out of this, I would say that I think Cell phone usage should be illegal while driving. The only case where I'd change my opinion on this would be if they allowed folks to use their phone via hands free. I think even the most rabid anti-cellphone in the car folks would let that slide.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
This past Oct. they outlawed cell phone usage in cars (in CT). You are allowed to use hands-free options though. Hopefully this will help out.

p.s. I found this quote on a 'personality' site:Ever hear the "Sunscreen Song"?

"Live in New York City once, but LEAVE before it makes you 'hard'"

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I think cell phone usage (other than with a headset) is already illegal in NY, but I doubt they enforce it. It doesn't seem to have made much of a difference as far as I can tell.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

OMG, that's the best reason for owning an SUV I've ever heard. :laugh:

My Montero Sport usually hauls nothing heavier than my Reserve gear and golf clubs, which, come to think of it, seems like quite a lot when I'm carrying all of it.

Just curious, what does the inside of your SUV smell like?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks