WKRP...Complete Series Coming Soon! (See Post #109)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Jan 12, 2014.

1. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Actually, if you look a bit closer to the details you will see the comparison still does not qualify. WKRP while a successful show during its original run and in syndication has only spawned one failed spin-off attempt that occurred in 1991. It's original run was 30+ years ago.

When Star Trek TOS went off the air in 1968 it only took 11 years for the demand from syndication to be great enough to generate the response of a theatrical movie. In that same 30+ years timeframe Star Trek has responded to consumer demand with nine theatrical movies, three successful prime-time spin-off series, and an animated series. Not to forget all the merchandising and VHS, DVD, and now Blu-ray releases. It also includes another spin-off series after that period of time.

So while WKRP has maintained a good following and been successful in syndication, it has not proven to be in the same league as the accomplishments of the Star trek franchise.

Gary OS likes this.
  2. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Brad,

I think you mean 1969 for TOS.

3. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Yes, you are correct. I over simplified in that it was on for three seasons and started in 1966, but the reality is a season crosses years so 1966-1967, 1967-1968, 1968-1969 is the more accurate response. My mistake.

Ockeghem likes this.
  4. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Brad,No problem. As Mr. Spock would say, "I endeavor to be accurate."

5. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    No kidding! Star Trek is one of the most, if not THE most profitable television franchises ever.

6. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

okay, you got me there. with the 11-30 years.

however, i still think there is a very good chance that you guys will get a "wonder years" type of release.

the reason that i dont put my foot in my mouth on this one is that i never saw it.

7. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    I watched much of WKRP in its original airing and in syndication. It obviously warrants a quality release but Brian brought up many good points that make any music substitution difficult (different than Wonder Years), which means edits. While China Beach included the majority of the original music intact, there was at least one scene where they had to cut a concert out all together because they couldn't clear the song and you just can't replace music during a preceived live performance.

A few song replacments here and there and a few "snips" to the content may be good enough to get a release out. But if you are talking 90% of the music cleared with the remaining 10% requiring more scenes removed than music replaced that might be a problem.

As was mentioned previously, when a studio clears music they want it cleared going forward for good, which is what costs so much. Time Life clears it for a specific use and time. I think WKRP is in the Time Life court if it is ever to get a quality release.

Gary OS likes this.
  8. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    No, you are not hitting close to home plate on this one. It's a simple matter of having realistic expectations. When it comes to WKRP, given the nature in which the show was originally produced, there just doesn't seem to be a cost effective way for it to get a proper release. There is no way to separate the audio track into nice little editable bits. It's an all or nothing proposition. It has to be looked at from a business point of view. WKRP just has too many obsticles for it to be profitable.

Gary OS likes this.
  9. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

that may be. that is how they did wonder years.

10. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Again, at the moment we don't know exactly how much music has been cleared for The Wonder Years. And again, editing out unclearable music from The Wonder Years will be much more seamless than it would be with WKRP. The audio track for WKRP is not in separate pieces. You can't just lose the music and keep the dialogue and sound effects. Everything is all together.

11. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Again, the two shows are completely different animals. What worked for one will not work for the other. You have to understand how the shows were originally produced, which I don't think you do. WKRP cannot have the music seamlessly edited out like The Wonder Years can. Lose the music from WKRP and you lose the entire audio track. It is that simple. You cannot compare the two.

12. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

that does make it more difficult, for sure.

13. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Next to impossible is more like it.

14. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

you have given me good explanations for the difficulty to overcome.

yet i still highly suspect that it will make it to the finish line !!

when i can see that the only problem is music rights issues, it is something that can be overcome. and i return right back to my original premise - people will pound their fists on the desk for a long time perhaps, but in the end, they will prefer something to nothing. and then get something like timeless, in which there are some restrictions.

i dont blame the music rights owners for not wanting to give unrestricted access to some things that probably havent even been invented yet. again, they may as well just sell the rights if they do that.

the show that i am currently most concerned about is mrfd. if there really is stuff in danny thomas's will about what and what not to release, that is a problem of a whole different sort.

while marlo is alive, i would be almost certain that she would not allow something to occur that danny did not want. and it could take generations after that, if ever, before something was released. by that time, the original elements may be too poor to do anything with them.

i will find it interesting if we ever get the honest to gosh real truth about that holdup.

15. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
  16. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    He already told you why not. There is just one audio track for WKRP. It isn't like filmed content where there are multiple audio tracks with the dialogue separate from things like music. WKRP was taped just like you could do at home with a VHS camcorder but obviously of significantly higher quality.

There's nothing at that link that says they were somehow magically able to separate the two for whatever it is that they're discussing. It sounds like they simply found a superior quality version of the music for whatever this CD features but that the narrative track wasn't located so they had to revert to the poor quality original narrative track that they had for this improved release that merged the two. They're combining things, they're not separating anything.

You don't have to be an expert here. Think about how you would separate a old home VHS recording's audio if you taped your family speaking while the tv was on in the background with a camcorder.

How do you propose that your family's voices be separated from the tv's audio? With filmed content with surviving separate audio tracks, the audio is essentially several layers and they just replace content from one layer to make substitutes. The tv sounds would have their own audio track while the dialogue would have a different track.

With videotape, there's only one layer that contains all audio. There's no way to do it.

17. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    Posted a correction for a misspelled word above that made a phrase confusing. But the edit function has since appeared so ignore this post.

18. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Thanks. I was getting a bit exasperated in explaining this over and over.

19. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    I think the postings in my link are quite clear: Mark Ayres had to lift the narration from the combined single track of the original release because he hadn't retained it as a separate track. You create a mask from the known music and remove it from the sound image, leaving just the dialogue and effects.

20. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    I think it was mentioned earlier that the only hope to see WKRP completely released would be via timelife or similar approach they are doing with the wonder years. I am huge WKRP fan as I love the show as a kid and to me it is still one the classic shows of all-time to me!