What's new

WKRP...Complete Series Coming Soon! (See Post #109) (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
derosa said:
It's a lost marketing opportunity. I've seen mainstream media coverage about DVD sets like
Wonder Years when they announced the music list. There is only downside for sales by not
saying anything before the set ships.

Their sales dept should be mad at whoever it was at Shout! that let this project get this close
to release without any announcement about the details of the music.
I totally agree. A very big missed opportunity for some serious good will. I'm really disappointed in Shout.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Okay. Does this make sense? I asked on Twitter if these are shipping soon based on my cc charge. The response I received was no and that my bank was probably confirming funds. I preordered back in July and the Shout site says that they only check your card at the time of order and charge when the order drops to the warehouse. Also, Brian Ward has been tweeting about binge watching WKRP eps so what do you all think. I suspect it's shipping but either their Twitter mouthpiece doesn't know or they don't want folks to know this is going out in a public forum...or maybe it's just another check for funds?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I think they could be shipping.. but if you haven't gotten an e-mail yet then not. BUt I've read on other forums where early Shout pre-orders they get their cards auth's every so often like once a month until it ships. It could have been a coincidence that it happened when it did. Brian works for Shout so that is why he is watching it Darn Him!

I figured it would start shipping next week sometime myself. BUt it would be nice if it was earlier.

Going thru Brian's Twitter... I see a guy asked Brian How's it going with clearing music rights to the original background music? His repsonse was "Very well, actually!" - so that that sounds very promising just not sure why they are being so secretive about it (on edge of my seat here)

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Shout did follow up and say they check funds about every 30 days or so so they must check all orders on the same day (not based on preorder date) as others have this pending charge as well.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's why I always use paypal or preorder within a week of shipping... I preordered a Monkees box set once, and every week or so, the money would disappear and reappear from my bank account.Then, with China Beach, my debit card was deactivated thanks to someone trying to gain access to my account, so I had to reorder anyway with the new card.At least with Paypal, the money is deducted and that's that.I would have ordered WKRP months ago if it werent such a big chance. But the rest of the Shout early shipping stuff, I plan to order in a decent amount of time to get it early.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Matt.Koz said:
Shout did follow up and say they check funds about every 30 days or so so they must check all orders on the same day (not based on preorder date) as others have this pending charge as well.
Ummmm....I don't think so. I pre-ordered both The Bob Newhart Show set and Welcome Back, Kotter set and there were exactly two instances of charges on my card. The initial authorization charge that dropped off after a couple of days and then the actual charge once the sets shipped. I tend to keep a very close eye on my accounts. Also, in both cases, the actual charge didn't post to my account (as a pending charge) until the actual early release date (in spite of the fact that I had both sets in my hands at least 5 days before the early release date). So, I think someone is blowing some smoke here. I've never heard of any company periodically checking funds until the release date. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brian Himes said:
Ummmm....I don't think so. I pre-ordered both The Bob Newhart Show set and Welcome Back, Kotter set and there were exactly two instances of charges on my card. The initial authorization charge that dropped off after a couple of days and then the actual charge once the sets shipped. Also, in both cases, the actual charge didn't post to my account (as a pending charge) until the actual early release date (in spite of the fact that I had both sets in my hands at least 5 days before the early release date). So, I think someone is blowing some smoke here. I've never heard of any company periodically checking funds until the release date. Sounds a bit fishy to me.
Rhino Handmade checks often.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Shout does do it, I know others who have had it happen to them. It could depend on the CC. I am sure there are times where it doesn't happen but that is just luck I think. If anyones order shipped they would be talking about it saying they got their email.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
I have had that experience with Rhino Handmade. Who knows what the deal is in this instance. Guess we'll wait and see.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Their sales dept should be mad at whoever it was at Shout! that let this project get this close
to release without any announcement about the details of the music.
I think you overestimate the number of people waiting for such details. Again, the details when the come. We all get a sense that the music coverage will be pretty damn good, but it's just not going to have everything. I acknowledge this going in, so for me to drop my pre-order, Shout would have to totally mess this up and release something on a FOX level. I don't see that happening for two reasons - one, this is what Shout does and two, why out source it shout if they will release something similar as FOX?

Do we need a list to tell us that Pink Floyd ain't going to be there...?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Powell&Pressburger said:
Shout does do it, I know others who have had it happen to them. It could depend on the CC. I am sure there are times where it doesn't happen but that is just luck I think. If anyones order shipped they would be talking about it saying they got their email.
It's possible that it might depend on the CC or luck of the draw. I keep a very close watch on my accounts because I've had them broken into more than once and I would have noticed these charges popping up every so often. Like I said, in both cases of Bob Newhart and Kotter, the final charge didn't appear on my accounts until the early release date even though Shout shipped out the sets even earlier than the early release dates. Even before then, I never noticed any periodic checks for funds on my account. The charges only appeared twice. The initial authorization and the official charge.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Wouldn't it be hilarious if SHout isn't talking about the music because they didn't ask to clear anything and decided to transfer the original masters tapes as is so eveyr ep is uncut and it is just a big surprise lol

or i should wake up.. but yeah in regards to Pink Floyd I've made my peace that it won't be included.. but wouldn't it be funny if someone from the group said I loved that show I want our song on that set! :D

kitt1987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
While I don't think the music clearances will be at 100% I still think the vast majority of us will be pleasantly surprised. I'm still of the minority that truly believe that will see Pink Floyd on there too. ;) Just be patient, trust me. :)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Wouldn't surprise me either, no. The scene would be strange without it and strange without the iconic scene at all...

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
As of 1:40 pm today, there is a comment on their website that says an announcement about the music will be made next week. We'll see...

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
albert_m2 said:
I think you overestimate the number of people waiting for such details.
I don't think a lot of people are waiting for the details, But I think that if Shout! Had half a brain, they'd get a story written in the New York Times, USA today, and Rolling Stone about the process of restoring the music In the popular 80s show, and have it coincide with the release. The media love these kinds of stories,and releasing the detailed list would be a marketing tool.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
TVshowsondvd.com just posted a press release with a pretty strong list of artists whose songs are on the DVDs. It's a long list but sadly, it does not seem that Pink Floyd is included. It does say "some of the artists", so there is still a chance, but I would think that Pink Floyd would get a mention on the list.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I figured they wouldn't say what we didn't get but per the LINK above this is the list of the artists that are featured on the BOX set.

The list looks really great though!
Some of the artists included on the DVD set are:
[*]AC/DC
[*]Herb Alpert
[*]Ashford & Simpson
[*]Joan Baez
[*]Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band
[*]Pat Benatar
[*]George Benson
[*]Blondie
[*]Booker T And The MG's
[*]Boston
[*]Alicia Bridges
[*]Jackson Browne
[*]Donald Byrd
[*]Carl Carlton
[*]The Cars
[*]Gene Chandler
[*]Ray Charles
[*]Chic
[*]Chicago
[*]Eric Clapton
[*]The Coasters
[*]Joe Cocker
[*]Elvis Costello
[*]Creedence Clearwater Revival
[*]Crosby, Stills Nash & Young
[*]Christopher Cross
[*]Derek And The Dominos
[*]Detective
[*]Bo Diddley
[*]The Doors
[*]Dr. John
[*]Gene Dunlap
[*]The Durocs
[*]Bob Dylan
[*]Earth, Wind & Fire
[*]Flying
[*]Foreigner
[*]Marvin Gaye
[*]The Go-Gos
[*]Grateful Dead
[*]Bill Haley And His Comets
[*]Buddy Holly Bob James
[*]Jefferson Starship
[*]Waylon Jennings
[*]Elton John
[*]Janis Joplin
[*]Greg Kihn Band
[*]Albert King
[*]B.B. King
[*]Evelyn "Champagne" King
[*]Freddie King
[*]The Knack
[*]Kool And the Gang
[*]Jerry Lee Lewis
[*]Huey Lewis & The News
[*]Little River Band
[*]Living Voices
[*]Kenny Loggins
[*]Nick Lowe
[*]Frankie Lymon And The Teenagers
[*]Chuck Mangione
[*]Bob Marley
[*]Paul McCartney and Wings
[*]Delbert McClinton
[*]Eddie Money
[*]The Monotones
[*]Van Morrison
[*]Gary Myrick And the Figures
[*]Ron Nagle
[*]Randy Newman
[*]Olivia Newton-John
[*]Ted Nugent
[*]The O'Jays
[*]Carl Perkins
[*]Tom Petty
[*]Wilson Pickett
[*]The Police
[*]Jean-Luc Ponty
[*]Elvis Presley
[*]The Pretenders
[*]Quarterflash
[*]Queen
[*]Otis Redding
[*]Little Richard
[*]Lionel Richie
[*]Kenny Rogers
[*]The Rolling Stones
[*]Linda Ronstadt
[*]Sam & Dave
[*]Bob Seger
[*]The Sherbs
[*]The Sir Douglas Quintet
[*]Bruce Springsteen
[*]Edwin Starr
[*]Steely Steely Dan
[*]The Stone City Band
[*]Styx
[*]Supertramp
[*]James Taylor
[*]Carla Thomas
[*]Toto
[*]Pete Townshend
[*]Tubes
[*]Luther Vandross
[*]Junior Walker
[*]Grover Washington, Jr.
[*]The Who
[*]Stevie Wonder
[*]Lauren Wood
[*]Neil Young
[/list]

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/WKRP-Cincinnati-The-Complete-Series/20286#ixzz3DPIGjOhB

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Ok so they got THE DOORS and NEIL YOUNG! Call me crazy but wasn't it The Wonder Years that couldn't get them!It appears Shout got The Doors and Neil Young! Wonder Years couldn't get these!

Since we now know what artists we have on the set besides Pink Floyd what are we missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks