What's new

Wizard of oz new 2 disc set, is it a new transfer or the old 2005 transfer??? (1 Viewer)

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
Curious, is the design layout and main/top menu for this newer release the same as the 2005 one or does it not have one at all like the blu-ray version? I plan on picking this up tomorrow for 8 bucks.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Menus are the same as the 2005 version.Wish I didnt buy it , because just a few weeks later, i got a blu ray player, and double dipped buying the blu ray version !!

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
Thanks! I was gonna get the blu-ray, because I now have a blu player, but I HATE DVDs without menus and because of that, I refuse to buy any Warner blu-ray discs unless it has menus. I hate when DVD's start right away when you put in the disc, I brings me back to the days of VHS.

The newer transfer is good enough on the DVD, I dont really see that big of difference myself on the blu-ray for this release.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Just curious, Brandon: I assume you haven't yet seen THE WIZARD OF OZ on Blu-ray, thus your question about the menu. However, your last statement was that you don't see "that big of a difference ... on the blu-ray" compared to the DVD. How can you tell, if you don't have the Blu-ray yet? (BTW, if you don't have an HD TV, you won't see any difference between DVD and Blu-ray; if you DO have an HD TV but only a small one, you might not see much difference.)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I only have a 22' HDTV, and I see a huge diffrence in picture quality, on this title .Ive even compared it to the new dvd version, that I own.Its a big mistake to be judging the blu ray of oz, by looking at screenshots of it on net.You cant tell how good it is, till you see it for yourself in motion.Just watch the opening minutes in munchkinland on the new dvd, then watch that same scene on blu ray.The diffrence is huge.

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
No, I have seen it on Blu, borrowed it. I had no idea about Warner leaving menus off of their Blu releases until I saw Oz on blu-ray and then found a lot of backlash in regards to Warner and their blu-ray releases online, when I thought there was something wrong with my player when the menu didnt come up. But yea, I shouldn’t have said that, I definitely do see a difference, but I was happy enough with the DVD enough that it didn’t matter too much to me. It was much more vibrant and clear when you compare it, but the DVD is still arguably the best transfer yet, so that will suffice. And like I said, I cant stand that it doesn’t have a main menu, so I’ll keep the DVD and wont be upgrading any of my Warner DVD’s that I was thinking of upgrading if they keep down that route. Menus are one of my favourite things about DVDs

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Sorry to go off-topic here, but Brandon, you keep bringing up this menu issue and I just don't get it. As far as I know all blu-ray disc have menus they are just different than DVDs. The menus are accessed and come up onscreen while the movie continues to play. Most everyone I know thinks that this level of interactivity is pretty cool. You can navigate around looking at what is on the disc without ever leaving the movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mark-P

Sorry to go off-topic here, but Brandon, you keep bringing up this menu issue and I just don't get it. As far as I know all blu-ray disc have menus they are just different than DVDs. The menus are accessed and come up onscreen while the movie continues to play. Most everyone I know thinks that this level of interactivity is pretty cool. You can navigate around looking at what is on the disc without ever leaving the movie.
Not to speak for him but I think he means that it does not go directly to the menu. Most Warners Blu-rays go directly to the movie when you put the disc in.

While I prefer the disc go the menu (since it's by far the norm), I certainly can't imagine that it would stop me from purchasing a movie that I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks