What's new

Withdrawal Symptoms: Have You Suffered? (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Have you ever sat down and watched a TV Show on DVD, finished watching the series, and became entirely addicted to the show? I'm experiencing these symptoms with I Dream of Jeannie and now that I'm watching Bewitched strait through, I'm still suffering from withdrawal from the TV series. It's irritating because now I'm going to have to continue watching a disk at a time until I'm through with my withdrawal.

I love the series and I'm glad I'm suffering from withdrawal symptoms but this is downright disconcerting.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
While not quite the same thing, many many years ago ( say in the mid '70s ) I always had this hope that there was at least one episode of Star Trek: TOS that I had not viewed. I still recall going to a Waldenbooks and perusing a Trek book that listed all of the episodes. Much to my chagrin I had seen every episode.

- Walter.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
:lol: Not really. I own the entire DS9 and Voyager series. I got addicted recently to I Dream of Jeannie after watching all five seasons straight through and now I'm suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,

Even after I knew I had seen the original seventy-nine episodes, I held out hope that another would surface one day -- perhaps even some bits from the cutting room floor. How I'd have loved to have seen some footage (e.g.) from Joanna or Paleface. I still hope that this may happen some day.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not for shows that have all available episodes available on DVD. Some of the shows I had withdrawal on when they were originally cancelled and have suffered secondary pangs once I completed watching the series on DVD (Time Tunnel, The Invaders, Jack of all Trades, Adventures of Brisco County Jr., The Tick, and Earth 2 are some examples of this). Other than that it's only experienced with series that have not completed full release to DVD or have stalled (quite a few of these) and series that are currently still on the air but do not have all seasons on DVD as yet (only a couple).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I went through a certain withdrawal when I got to the end of Buffy season seven. I couldn't believe there was no more. But I can say that about a lot of shows. There are, in fact, very few shows that I liked that I was "done" with at the time of their cancellation. I wish that about 80% of my favorite shows had gone on for another season or two.

Brian D H

Second Unit

LOL
I know what you mean. After Star Trek TNG went off the air I realized that there was ONE episode that I'd missed. Since this was pre-DVD I had to wait for it to air again. I didn't wind up catching that missed episode until about 5 years later. It was absolutely wonderful catching a "new" episode with my old friends on the Enterprise D. It really made me miss the show when the episode ended and I realized that there would not be one next week. To this day that episode is one of favorites and I don't know if it would have been if I'd caught it when it originally aired - but it's the one that brought back my favorite show years after it was canceled.

To be honest I highly recommend doing this on purpose. The next time you LOVE a show try purposely skipping one episode - then watch it 5 or 10 years later. It will be like a Special was filmed just for you to enjoy.

Brian D H

Second Unit

But there was more. Even if you didn't watch Angel (or just didn't consider it "more") there are still the "Season Eight" comic books. Since they are written by Josh Whedon along with the rest of the writing team from Buffy they really feel like a continuation - without the budget constraints or any bickering from the talent.

Personally I'm waiting for a collection in Trade Paperback format since they come out so slowly.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I know what you guys are going thru. I, for one, am starting to feel the blues because I just finished the entire MASH series from season 1 to 11. I started back in July 2008 watching every episode and now that it's done, I really feel kind of down (probably what we all felt like back in 1983, when the final episode aired). :frowning:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Everytime I walk through the DVD section of a store, I see the Cheers DVD's and think "Ooo! I wonder if the next season is out!", but then forget that I already own every season. :frowning:

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was starting to have withdrawal pains even before I finished watching Freaks & Geeks a few years ago. I was watching the set in 2 or 3 episodes at a time until I got near the end and would only watch one at a time. I was trying to keep it going as long as I could.

Qrusher14242

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel Dressel
Yes, its sad when i get to the end of a show and realize there will never be another episode of it. I tend to get stuck on shows and buy all the DVDs that are out there. I have to see every episode
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Gilligan's Island Since now I own everything the 2 Rescue movies and Return, with the Harlem Globetrotters etc........ It just brings me back to that old 70's series.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Firefly. I never heard of the show when it was on for it's one, partial season. When I watched it after first seeing the movie I couldn't believe it had only lasted one season and there'd be no more DVD sets to purchase.

Brian D H

Second Unit

Agreed - I love Firefly. Then again, at least it's easy (and cheap) to collect.... one and done. Those 7 year series can be a bit expensive.

It's starting to look like his Dollhouse series may be just as economical - maybe even cheaper since it probably won't have a movie to go along with it. ;)

Brian D H

Second Unit
I just thought of another show that I loved and felt withdrawal when it was over.

Highlander: The Series

File this one under the "Be Careful What You Wish For" heading. It was followed up by the terrible "Raven" series, a so-so movie "Highlander: End Game", and the final nail in the coffin "Highlander: The Source". "The Source" is possibly one of the worst movies of all time - and no, I'm not exagerating. It is absolutely painful to watch - the most ignominous ending of a once successful franchise of all time.

So, when your favorite show is lucky enough to have a good 5, 7 or 10 year run and has a good solid ending, be happy and let it go. It is never a good idea to try and raise the dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks