With my upscaling DVD player, why is the HDMI picture worse than composite?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Glenshaw, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Glenshaw

Glenshaw Extra

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this issue. I have a Sony upscaling DVD player and a 22" Sylvania LCD 720p set. The composite video looks great -- nice and crisp. I switched to using an HDMI cable that I received free with my DVR a couple years ago. The cable did not have a brand name on it. Because I still have the composite cables plugged in, I can switch back and forth and compare the pictures from both inputs.
    The HDMI picture is noticeably worse than the composite. I have it set at 720p. I thought it would be significantly better. Whenever a blank expanse comes up, mainly when it's surrounded by other dark objects, grain is very noticeable -- little swimming grainy spots. On the composite, this grain is not evident, or it is very faint. I have found differences between films; some look better in the HDMI and some worse, but all look worse than the composite picture. The only advantage to HDMI is that it gives you a tiny more picture image on the sides.
    Does anyone know what might be the cause? I've come across a comment that the quality/brand of the HDMI cable might affect its picture, and also that a shorter cable will give you a better image as well. The cable I have is pretty long, at least six feet, and I don't need it to be that long. I'm also wondering whether I might have damaged one of the ports when inserting the cable, as those ports seem pretty fragile.
    Does anybody have a clue?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    It's either a bad cable or the HDMI input is bad.

3. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    It's not cable length, as 6' is fairly common. Does your TV have to be set for every input? Are there settings for composite mode and different settings for HDMI mode?

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Can you set the dvd player to output 480i over hdmi and let the display upconvert it? And do you mean component instead of composite?

5. ShowMeCables

ShowMeCables Agent

If you are getting a picture the HDMI cable is fine.
    Id start with the DVD player .

6. martinbond

martinbond Auditioning

The cable length is not an issue may be the HDMI input is not good. I would suggest not to use it when you get good pictures without it.
    Bathroom Faucets

7. martinbond

martinbond Auditioning

I guess the length is not an issue. Might be that the HDMI input is not good. I would suggest you to not use HDMI cable when you get clear and good pictures without it.
    Bathroom Faucets