With CD sales still in a slump, will the industry give DVD-A or SACD a second chance?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Dave Moritz, Sep 28, 2006.

1. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

I do remember seeing a portable dvd player w/dvd-a capability btw but it cost around $2,000.

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Just a technology FYI: they left out the fact that a DSD data word only uses 1 bit, compared to CD's 16 bit sample word. An sacd still has much more data that its CD counterpart but not THAT much more. And PCM and DSD aren't exactly the same formats anyway, so the above math is not really 100% applicable (apples vs. oranges etc). Also, except for some very pricey sacd players with switchable filters, every sacd player I know of includes another filter, usually set at @50kHz, to filter out the utlrasonic "refuse" generated by the DSD process. This filter is also usually very sharp i.e. its "slope" drops very quickly, and is almost the same type of aggessive filter* that many audiophiles complain that the CD format uses (its "brickwall" filter is set at just above 20kHz). Hi-res PCM like 96/24 and 192/24 use much gentler filters & in fact I read of a 192 standalone convertor that uses no filter at all, since those PCM formats generate much less noise than DSD and to a lesser extent, CD's 44.1kHz/16bit system.

This is just academic info now, unless Apple puts out a hi-res iPod.

*which if not designed very carefully might cause problems (same with CD's filter), though they shouldn't be audible at that high a frequency (bad filters can cause certain effects which can "ripple" downwards into the audible region). Excellent filters are out there for CD too and that's why so many pros say they don't see the need for higher sampling rates......except they forget those excellent filters are REALLY expensive!

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Panasonic sells 2 portable dvd-audio/video players, the cheapest costs $399 (yikes). FYI: I had to read the .pdf manual to make sure of this - those feature charts on their website are not always accurate.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

my sacd player (sony es scd-2000, or some such) has a 40 khz filter-- still lower.

5. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
  6. chad80

chad80 Auditioning

what's up. you're talkin bout favorites? i checked out this band live recently. and it was amazing - just like zeppelin. totally my new fave. anyways try to find the rave ups doing "Smokestack." it's like british re-invasion! search at theraveups It is their website