What's new

Wish me luck (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Best of luck with the LaCie drive. We've had a half dozen die around the office over the last three years. Why do they keep buying them...price.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you want a good FW 800 drive, get one from OWC. They aren't dirt cheap, but they have the best housings.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ditto on the OWC recommendation, not only the best housing, but the best Firewire chipsets (in terms of compatibility of being able to boot from it). And the performance is great too!

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
A third recommendation for OWC. When the higher ups at the office wouldn't buy one (instead insisting on LaCie drives that kept failing) I just bought my own and wrote it off as an unreimbursed business expense. I still use it to back up my own data and maintain several drive images for different machines. The performance kicks ass.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dumb question. Does an eSATA require a card to the mother board like sound card or tuner does?

Those OWC drives look killer. And the price isn't that way overboard either. Do they use Hitachi
HDs in them?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It's not obvious in all cases if they use Hitachi, but I know sometimes when the Hitachi drives have Mail In Rebates, the same rebates are on the OWC external drive of the same HD size/spec. You could always call and ask, they're really friendly and helpful.

And of course, you could always just buy the enclosure alone and put your own HD of choice in there!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
If you can't afford the Drobo, the OWC drives are the best bet. I have 4 of them. Very quiet as well, if that matters to you.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK, I've popped in a USB 2.0 drive until I can wrangle a FW800 drive mail order. Will look into OWC for sure.
Edit: can someone tell me why the 1TB drive is cheaper than the 640GB or the 800GB?
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firew...erformanceRAID

I still can't get my widgets to pop up, every time I hit that key all that happens is my sound output boosts. I must be doing something wrong.

Any recommendations for good but inexpensive and small desktop speakers? I don't want monster ones sitting next to this guy but the on board sound is really anemic.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Whoops, realized I didn't address #1. If your mobo does not have an eSATA port built in (or has an eSATA connector on it which you could attach a face- or rear-plate with the eSATA connection) then yes you will have to buy an eSATA PCI card like a soundcard or firewire card (if you don't have firewire built in).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks