Wiseguy in HD

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by HDvision, Feb 1, 2009.

1. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    Hi guys, I read on the web on some other HT forums people noticing that the classic 80's TV series Wiseguy, starring Ken Wahl as well as a lot of great actors like Kevin Spacey, was airing on HD channels in 16/9 format with no crop (meaning new HD masters were made showing more on the sides of the image).

I'm curious if anyone have seen it on HD, as I gave up a long time ago on the DVDs which were 4/3 and featured re-edited music from the original. Any screengrabs would be welcome !

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    link?

also what channel is airing this?

3. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    Here it is, it aired on HDnet, I'm sure it's still doing the rounds on other HD channels

Wiseguy on HDNET: How'd they do that? - DVD Talk Forum

Here's what the guy had to say (note that this post predates the Blu-Ray days by one year)

If this is not a cropped presentation, and an actual remaster of the series using the original negatives and exposing more area left and right to fit the 1.77 screen, I'M BUYING RIGHT AWAY and I'm sure I will not be the only one, many people consider the first three seasons of Wiseguy starring Ken Wahl one of the best series of the 80's, a ground breaking show that started the whole "arc" "one story over multiple episodes" phenomenon that went through X-Files and now 24.

4. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    HDNet used to air Wiseguy all the time (or was it UHD?) Either way, I remember watching some of the episodes but I don't remember one way or the other how good they looked.

Great show though. Season one to this day is one of my favorite seasons of TV ever.

5. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    Funny, that nowhere online can we find clips of these supposed widescreen versions. I would love to check them out.

6. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    I'm bumping up this thread to see if anyone got more info on this. I found this on another home theater forum