What's new

Wiring two speakers in series.. (1 Viewer)

BrianWH

Agent
Hello everyone,

I am soooo close to finishing my HT setup (its never really finished I guess) with Boston CR series mains and surrounds and a VR500 sub. But now I am getting antsy waiting for a used Boston CRC or CR2 to present itself at a bargain price, so in the meantime...

I have a Boston MicroMedia 2.1 system (came with my old Gateway PC in 1997) with two full-range (200Hz-20kHz) 3-inch satellites that I could easily wire in a series to the center-channel line from my AVR. I believe the sats are rated at 8 ohms each, giving me 16 if wired in series. Is this bad for my amp in any way? Bad for the speakers?

Thanks for the help,
Brian

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No, isn’t bad for the amp. However, the 16-ohm load will cut the available power output by one half. That, in turn, will be divided between the two speakers. So each speaker will end up with only 25% of the original power output.

Still – can’t hurt to try. It should get you by until your speaker goes on sale.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BrianWH

Agent
Since the sats are rated pretty low to begin with, this might be a blessing (less chance of damage to them).

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks