What's new

Wiring Questions on Ceiling Mounted FP (1 Viewer)

Craig.c

Grip
I hope this is the correct forum for these questions as I'm a newbie.

I'm about to set up my first FP system and have a few questions related to the wiring.

First let me describe the room. Its a multi-purpose room not a dedicated HT, although when using the FP it will be dark. The issue is that it is fully finished, including a drywalled ceiling, and thus getting wires in place and aesthetics are issues.

My FP will be about 17 ft from the screen, directly over the seating area, but I expect the the wiring will need to be 30-40 ft as I'm positive it won't go straight.

Initially I will be running component from my HD receiver, and DVI from the DVD to a Panasonic AE-900.

I know in a few years I will upgrade to a 1080p projector when they come down in price, and be connecting through a video processor. I'm getting a screen in 2:35 aspect ratio to go constant hight eventually.

Given that I want all the wiring I need for down the road, put in place now that leads to several questions.

1. Are there any particular specifications I need on the cable I put in place now, to handle 1080p feed down the road, other than just buying quality cables from some of the sponsors on this site?

2. I would like to put a component/DVI connection plate in the ceiling rather than wires going through a hole. Does this impact the picture quality at all?

3. I would like to have an electrician put a plug in the ceiling near the FP. Is there any way to use a power conditioner in that type of set up?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I considered the very same thing and ultimately chose to install a medical grade outlet (you can also see it in picture above). It has built-in surge suppression and EMI/RFI filtering. Clearly not going to be as robust as, say, a Furman rig or such but it should do the job. I can't remember which manufacturer but if you're interested I can look it up. Alternatively I recall a product that is a smallish block, not much bigger than a gang box, that has built in surge and filtering and would plug directly into the outlet, with your projector plugged to that. I recall very positive reviews. No idea re: name - perhaps someone here can help.

ADDENDUM: Flash of insight and I remembered it is a Leviton plug. More information on their hospital grade units here. Can't figure out which specific model. It's a 20A version, grey in color. I also installed these for the subwoofers.

Matthew Bryde

Auditioning
Jay, that's a GREAT idea - using the "wire grommet". I ended up using a wall mounting plate and cut the sides out to avoid making huge unsightly holes for plugs. It does the job and I thought was quite ingenious - as it caters for any sized plug and is future proof, but your idea is less obvious and hence better.

Noted for "next time"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks