What's new

Wiring options for a ceiling mounted Dell 5100MP (1 Viewer)

st3v32k10

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Kokx
Hey all!

I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire up my 5100MP which will be ceiling mounted.

I want to have a wall jack with HDMI, Component, and maybe VGA inputs that runs up to the projector, and I'm trying to make as much of the wiring hidden as possible. The vertical cables are no problem as I can access behind the wall from the ceiling, and the ceiling is a drop ceiling so it should be no problem for that either. I suspect I just need to buy the jack, and run long stretches of cable from the jack to a jack or faceplate or hole in the ceiling right next to the projector... Does that sound like the best idea?

Does anyone have suggestions for the jack hardware and/or a good place to order the cables?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
skip the wall jacks and wire direct from the source (video switcher) to the PJ.

st3v32k10

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Kokx
Please forgive my ignorance, but I am new to this...

By "video switcher", are you referring to a home theater receiver or an actual video switcher device? If it is the latter could you link to an example?

st3v32k10

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Kokx
Maybe I can elaborate on what I had in mind.

I want to have a rack or case with a Blu Ray player, possibly a media PC, and a receiver in my home theater. I was thinking of taking the HDMI output of the home theater receiver and connecting it to a wall plate similar to this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=2730&seq=1&format=2

Then in the wall connecting an HDMI cable from the back of the wall plate to the projector in the ceiling. See I originally wanted to have several formats (RGB, Component, Composite, etc) connected and available via a wall plate in the event I need to use a device that does not support HDMI and is not part of my permanent installation (such as a camcorder), but I realize that any decent home theater receiver will support HDMI and should be able to accommodate pretty much anything I need it to.

Am I going about this all wrong?

Does anyone have a good recommendation for long lengths of quality HDMI cable? Is there a better brand of wall plate?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks