What's new

Wiring DVD -> Receiver -> TV (1 Viewer)

James Kursar

Auditioning
Hey all,

I just purchased the Onkyo HT-S770 system and just have a quick question. After reading the manual, it had instructions to connect the DVD video output to the Receiver, and then from the receiver to the TV. Thus this required me to purchase two component cables..

My question is why bother going from the receiver to the TV?
Can't I just run one cable from the DVD to the TV? I don't know if/how a receiver impacts video. I must be missing something as this seems to silly to be viable.

I am running a digital audio coax from the DVD to the receiver, a component from the dvd to the receiver, another component from the receiver to the TV, and a composite audio cable from the TV to the receiver so I can listen to TV's audio through the system.

Any reason not to just from dvd video to tv without hitting the receiver. I'd love to go return my component video and laugh at the best buy guy who didn't point this out to me when i bought it.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I think they are saying to do it that way so you will have video and audio switching at the reciever. This way you can have a single button push to change from vcr to dvd to cable to game system. And most televisions don't have that many inputs to accomidate all that.
The Onkyo you bought might even convert most or all video sources to component outs. Some do, it doesn't say on their site.(may in your manual)
You do after all have an Audio/Video receiver and amp.
I wouldn't fault them at Best Buy, but if you truly only use a DVD player, by all means return the unused component cables.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brian nailed it – you certainly can connect the DVD player’s video directly to the TV, but you’ll have to switch audio and video separately whenever you want to watch a DVD. If you ever add any other components to your system, you’ll have to select a separate video input on the TV for each one of them (assuming your TV has enough inputs), as well as selecting the audio input on the receiver. It’s just much simpler and convenient to connect everything to the receiver and let it do all you switching.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks