What's new

Wireless Music (1 Viewer)

Steve Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at the Linksys wireless music system. I would like to be able to play my MP3s through my stereo using my wireless network. This product from Linksys (http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=631) would do what I want, but are there other products that would do this as well? I would like to see what all is out there before deciding on what to buy.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Almost every company that makes network gear has some device that does this. My friend really likes the DLink product. Other options come from Roku, Slim Devices and Turtle Beach. The problem with the Airport Express (which I own) is that you still don't have a way to control your music selection from your living room, but it's not a big issue for me since my computer is only in the next room and my use generally is just having it on shuffle while I work around the house.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
You can control iTunes with IR remote controls, bluetooth or RF or IR wireless keyboard, or even your bluetooth cellphone.

Another option on the horizon which seem like the ultimate solution is Griffin's BlueTrip which will allow you to stream your iPod's music to a bluetooth box with analog and digital outs for your receiver. What I find most appealing is that you don't have to fuss with the poor interfaces of remotes, PDAs, Pronto, etc. You can use the iPod's scroll wheel, select, click, and play.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Yes, you can control it remotely, but can you access the library remotely (which is what I meant)? As far as I know the controls just amount to pause, backward and forward.

The BlueTrip sounds cool if the audio quality is good.

Steve Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. I don't have an iPod, so I will probably look at the products that Gou mentioned. I definately want to be able to access the music library, as my computer is in my office in the basement, and the stereo is upstairs, or in the backyard.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
You can access the library with Salling Clicker for PalmOS or Bluetooth phones. I've had mixed luck with NetRemote.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If just music is what you're after (as opposed to video, audio and images), definitely look at a Squeezebox. All you need then is a PC to serve the MP3's and some form of wireless access point.

Steve Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
I like the Squeezebox and Roku products. I will have to see if the wife will pick one up for Father's Day.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
the roku looks really inviting...i was thinking of getting one myself. what i really like is it interfaces with itunes ... so you can keep your playlists, etc. :emoji_thumbsup:

you can get it at best buy really cheap (last i checked it was near store cost). at least that way, if you don't like it you can return it without hassle.

i think they sell the dlink one too...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, I've seen the Roku and DLink at BB. There's a $50 Rebate running on the Roku M500, which expires June 30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks