What's new

Winter Olympic Events you would eliminate (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I think the Russian Curling team was filled with some good looking women too! If I were single, I might take that up in the winter just to meet some pretty hot women!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Hey! Bryant Gumbal....Chew on this...
(spoilers if it hasn't aired yet on tv)...
Speedskater Shani Davis makes Olympic history in a U.S. showdown in the 1,000 meters, becoming the first black to win individual gold at the Winter Olympics.

So instead of lambasting the winter games for being so white. Why not use your notoriety to encourage black winter Olympians instead of making stupid claims that helps no one.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
What is up with Davis? He came off as a real ass in his TV interview after his win.

I know there has been some tension between Davis and the rest of the team but why would you want to come off as an ass after you have won the gold? I can’t imagine that it will help him get any endorsements.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Ice hockey.

Just kidding...however, what kind of ridiculous format allows a team to go 1-3-1 and still advance to the next stage? (Team USA.)

The "playoffs" should include only the top four teams, not the top eight.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
All the way back when the NHL consisted of 6 teams, 4 qualified for the Stanley Cup.

The same thing happens in pro sports here all the time--it seems that every year some sub .500 team makes it in the NBA. And on and on.

Nick

Second Unit
Figure skating is fun. I love to see them fall on their asses ;)
I love speed skating too. May be I just wish I could skate half as good as those guys.

I know..what's up with that guy. The real winner here is Joey Cheek. Now that guy has a heart of Gold. May be he already knows that he'll make millions more on the endorsement when he gets home.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I wouldn't get RID of an event.

However, despite the fact that I'm a hockey fan (GO FLAMES..er..sorry) ... I do NOT like the idea that professional players make up the Olympic teams. (Same for basketball in the Summer Olympics).

I'd far rather see up-and-coming young amateur players...

Oh... and my wife and I love watching figure skating. Demanding sport, that is. Judging may suck, but that doesn't change the fact that these are dedicated athletic participants.

Curling rocks. (Men with Brooms, anyone?) :)

And skeleton is just INSANE. Love it!

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I love figure skating (I am a girl), but the judging still frustrates me, even with the new system. How the heck can someone fall twice like Sasha Cohen(getting one point instead of two as she should have)and still come out ahead against someone who falls only once like Irina Slutskaya?

I hate to root against my home country, but I was kind of glad Cohen lost. If Kwan can't get the Gold, no US skater will this year!

Used to think Ice Dancing was a stupid event, but I have to respect the athleticism involved when I watched this year. Perhaps Ballroom Dancing should become an Summer Olympic sport?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Name an Olympic athlete that is an amateur? Heck the original Olympians weren't amateurs because they were competing for prize money and if I recall correctly some cases their lives. The only reason the "amateur" thing was ever introduced into the modern games was because it was a way to exclude certain classes of people.

Tony, are the flags at half-staff in Canada?

Nick

Second Unit
:thumbsdown:

I know. Well, for the rest of her life she'll be known as the girl who fell twice at the olympic and got silver.
Or the Silver Ass girl ;)

I guess the new system still sucks.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone happen to watch the Women's Curling Final? It really was exciting. You can watch the summery video at NBC's Olympic Web site.

SteveSs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
That women's curling final was awesome, baby! The last shot was amazing. Seriously, I think the reason curling is interesting to me is that it is the only Olympic sport I can think of where it looks like an average Joe could compete with a little practice. I know it's actually harder than that, but to me it looks like the backyard shuffleboard/bocci we all could play.

What's the deal with this aerial stuff? The wife and I watched it for an hour last night, and we swear every single competitor did the same jump. How was this sport invented, anyway?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Because figure skating isn't just about jumps. Spins, footwork, and artistic elements factor into the score as well. From what I gathered from their performances and the critical reviews, it felt like Irina was going through the motions somewhat while Sasha gave a lot more to her performance after her two falls.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/tor...v=ap&type=lgns

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
After the performances were shown on NBC, one of the commentators, Tracy, broke down the scoring between Sasha and Irina, and the footwork was where Sasha outpointed Irina and put enough distance between Sasha and Irina.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Yup Sasha skated better, even if her jumps weren't as good, and many of her later jumps were excellent. She is fantastic on the choreography (everything after those first two passes was some of the best skating of the night) while I was underwhelmed by Slutskya's choreography I figured the judges would softball her into second because she only fell once and was 'supposed' to win. Oh well, now she's Michelle Kwan all over again, once silver, then bronze. They all had really tough programs, and Sasha was helped by nailing all her second half material (10% bonus) wheras Slutskya's fall came during the second half. Probably always better to fall early in the new system because the Judges overall impressions will be shaped by the finish of a program, so the best stuff last is always an advantage versus falling near the end.

I did feel subjective judging may have hurt Emily Hughes, but no more than a few points low, nothing that would actually affect her final ranking.

I was thrilled the Japanese girl won, she skated so wonderfully, she really deserved Gold by the long lead. I was most disapointed by the girl from Georgia (country) because she started off really strong before losing it in the second half.

A little disapointing from Kimmy Meissner, if she'd came out and pulled a Sarah Hughes near-perfect performance and nailed her triple triple I wonder if she could have made the podium?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Ditto what Adam said. Plus, Sasha Cohen's spiral sequence is one of the greatest ever. Absolute perfection in form, technique and artistry. Slutskya just looked tentative, like she was skating not to lose, whereas Cohen knew she missed the gold and just went out and gave it her all after the falls. She really fought back. Also, like Adam said, Cohen's choreography is second to none. Although silly commentator's hyperbole, the "She is Juliet" statement was close to the truth. Just a great presence and a long way from the surly, grimacing, spoiled little girl persona she had at Salt Lake.

And yes, it was no contest for the gold. A great skate for the lady from Japan.

Nick

Second Unit
I just watched the whole thing on my DVR recorder and I must say that minus the falls Sasha did a wonderful job.
Did you see some other skaters from different countries ? I don't even know how they made it to the Olympic.

But there's always gonna be a debate as long as there's human judges. Michelle Kwan skated beautifully at Nagono Japan never missed her jump with beautifull choreography but Tara won because of her Jump.

Now it looks like it's the other way around at Turin. Even Sasha didn't think she was gonna win that's why she said it was a gift. Deep down inside she knows that she didn't deserve it.
I think the medal should go to Kimmie Meissner. Couple shaky landing but she didn't fall. Artistically she was just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks