What's new

Windshield Replacement: At your house, or at the shop? (1 Viewer)

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
Apparently, a lot of windshields and other auto glass is replaced from a van or truck that comes to your house.

Maybe I am being silly, however, I feel more comfortable taking the car to the shop. I get the sense that most people let the truck come to their house to replace a windshield.

Does anyone have experience with windshield replacement? Done at your house or at a shop?

Do you think it matters if it is done in the shop or out of the truck?

Thanks in advance.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I have done a few windshield replacements myself on pickup trucks in my backyard. Where it is done doesn't matter. If the price is the same, I would have them come to you and save the trip.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I had a van come to where I work and replace it at lunchtime.

The only consideration (besides the obvious of trying to find a good company) is that you will not be able to drive your car for an hour to 1.5 hours after the replacement to let the glue on the gasket dry off so if you schedule it at work, try for an AM appt or lunchtime like spot or whatever that will allow the car to sit for a bit before you need it again.

I just had my windshield replaced in May...

Jay

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Nicely timed thread. I have to get my windshield replaced, but I've been putting it off. Although I'll be bringing it in to the dealer to have it done, I did have the windshield replaced on my last car by a guy that came to the house. State Farm referred him. Did it right in my driveway and I had no qualms with the quality of the work.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've done it both ways. A local glass company has replaced a windshield in the parking lot where I work, and I've had windshields replaced in the shop, too. It just depends on the circumstances. Either way should work out fine for you. Do whichever is more convenient.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I just had mine replaced. The funny thing is my dealership I bought the car from doesn't even replace windshields, they subcontract it out to Glass Doctor. Meaning the Glass Doctor guy comes to teh dealership to do it, which is no different than him coming to your house/work.

He came to my work and replaced it in about 30 minutes. Was better service than I expected. He even had the exact same factory windshield, which I was surprised at.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
No qualms with Safelite which I went through. my Subaru OEM windshield has those electric windshield wiper elements which the aftermarket glass had too...

Jay

mylan

Screenwriter
Have any of you had wind noise from having your windsheids replaced? My car and my wife's car have small cracks that need fixing, has anyone had experience with repairing rather than replacing?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
There is a general rule of thumb when it comes to repairing and fixing, which I don't know what it is. I've heard a crack over 8 inches can't be fixed, which was not a problem for me because mine spread half the windshield one night in the cold weather. And I have zero wind noise.

mylan

Screenwriter
Thanks, neither windsheild crack is very big, I think in both cases a rock bounced up and caused a ding. I'm going to explore the repair option first.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Definately do it sooner than later, if the crack grows they will not be able to fix it. If you get it fixed soon enough then you can save that $450 to get a new windshield.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Many insurance companies will waive the deductable if you elect to get a crack/chip fixed rather than simply replacing the windshield.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Brian, it doesn't matter. It's the exactly the same. People bring in their vehicles to our dealer and we by no means deal with glass, rather it is sublet out. So, find a good company and if it's more convenient have them come to your house or work even. Most all auto glass companies are mobile also and you will receive the exact same installation.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Funny Thing is that I work for a Glass co and have done a few replacements. If you go to the dealer or have the Guy come to your house 9 times out of 10 its the same guy.

Patrick Young

Stunt Coordinator
The only time it becomes a problem with having them come to you(as long as it is a good company) is during the winter. (I live in MN.) The problem is when the temperature is colder than 40 deg. or so and that the glue cannot cure correctly.

I heard this from a friend who is a volunteer fireman who was at a seminar being held on airbags and that if the glue does not cure right it will not hold the windshield together when the airbag goes off and the airbag will not work properly.

I know it is not that cold now but it will be soon enough. ;)

jeffreyfrog

Auditioning
Real Name
jeffrey
HI. I think it doesn't matter if it is done at the shop or just in the truck, as long as they provide their buyers with good quality. But in my case I prefer to have my windshield replace at the shop, so that in case there are problems you can always go back to the shop and complain.

[SIZE= smaller]windshield replacement[/SIZE]

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Responding to the poster above, the nationwide auto glass companies that come to your house/work do come back if there is a problem. My girlfriend's passenger door window was broken, they came out and fixed it. The next day she found out the door would not open from the inside. That day they came out immediately and fixed it right away.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk ">[/url]

Responding to the poster above, the nationwide auto glass companies that come to your house/work do come back if there is a problem. My girlfriend's passenger door window was broken, they came out and fixed it. The next day she found out the door would not open from the inside. That day they came out immediately and fixed it right away.[/QUOTE]1 post, joined yesterday, revives a year old thread, and puts in a link shilling for an auto glass store. Me smells somthing like spiced ham.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Jeff Gatie
Joined yesterday? Steve's been a member longer than you.

Just had my windshield replaced last week. Took it to the local glass shop which did a great job.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

Joined yesterday? Steve's been a member longer than you.

Just had my windshield replaced last week. Took it to the local glass shop which did a great job.
Jeff was not referring to Steve, but to another post that has since been removed (since it was obviously spam).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks