What's new

Windows XP Strengths and Weaknesses (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Lee, you bring up another good point. Last week I made the rounds for my hardware (picked up 8 new drivers) - but on every page they had a note for XP. I didn't click on it but the fact that it was there was a little scary.
Also, with any new software they expect that you do have fairly new hardware. The next motherboard that I'm looking at has 6 USB ports. I only have 2 now, so that is something to consider.
Glenn

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
quote: But I am perplexed. I have had both 98SE and 2000 on my Thinkpad T23 (1.13ghz) and desktop speed is materially faster with XP.[/quote]
This doesn't surprise me. Microsoft's claim of XP being faster will only ever apply if you have a beefier machine. You cannot add all the extra colours and hoo-har effects without hitting performance on the same machine. My PIII 600E serves me perfectly well at the moment (with W2K) and I don't see why I should upgrade just to have a 'prettier' (uglier, actually) desktop :)
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on November 06, 2001 at 02:13 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks